Read 5620 times

• twak24
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2011, 08:01:42 pm
Pass the Parcel Gift-in-the-Middle Ideas: Help please
« on: June 16, 2011, 12:15:56 am »
So, I had this awesome idea just now (even though I do say so myself  :-*). There is this game that we used to play as kids at birthday parties in South Africa called "Pass the Parcel". There is basically one jamming present in the middle, wrapped in wrapping paper many, many times. So the kids sit in a circle and music is played. They have to pass the parcel on to the next person and when the music abruptly stops, who ever is holding the parcel at the time gets to unwrap 1 layer of wrapping. Eventually, one lucky smurf will get the final layer of wrapping and then the gift is theirs. So I had this idea of using this game for next weeks before-exams stuff-around class. Same thing, but if the parcel lands in your lap and you are to unwrap a layer, you must answer a question in English from me first. 

Now the only thing is, I am trying to think of something nice to put in the core as the gift. It is for 1st grade middle school kids, both girls and boys. I am looking at spending about 3000 - 5000 Won on the gift and it can be an assortment of a couple of things or just one thing. Whatever. Just something other than a box of chocopies or same-old candy would be cool.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 05:47:49 am by twak24 »

• QTEE
  • Adventurer

• September 06, 2010, 12:07:01 pm
    • yongin
Re: Pass the Parcel Gift-in-the-Middle Ideas: Help please
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 07:36:36 am »
I am doing the same for my summer camp
but its called pass the paper (parcel) and when the music stops students
will unwrap 1 piece of paper and answer the question to get the prize
there is enough for each person in the class
I ordered some little memo pads, small note books and pencils and erasers for the gifts
and for the 6th grade I ordered some fancy pens like flowers, cactus, icecream cones etc
to go with the pads
all these were ordered through g mart

• SBracken
  • Expert Waygook

• March 07, 2011, 07:41:22 am
    • Pohang, S Korea
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:48:25 am »
do you have anything from your country? an appropriately sized teeshirt would probably blow them away. or you could get something relevant to pop korea- a current singer or something? maybe something just a little crazy- funky sunglasses, weird socks. I think first graders are young enough to like silly things still

• TanyaD
  • Explorer

• May 06, 2011, 07:55:54 am
    • Gimcheon
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 09:09:05 am »
Great idea! I've been wanting to use it but it actually slipped my mind. I'm from South Africa so remember how much fun we used to have playing it. I'll definitely be using it in Summer camp. I like the idea of a crazy gift, like the funky glasses, they love that!

• Burndog
  • Super Waygook

• July 16, 2010, 11:49:17 am
    • Suwon
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 10:19:54 am »
Some sort of cool pencil case is always good...the kids love a cool pencil case!

• Ilikebunny
  • Adventurer

• December 14, 2010, 04:32:18 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 11:10:34 am »
Just go into one of the many stationary type dollar stores and go nuts.
There's so many pens, cute paper pads, stuffed animals, key chains, cell phone charms, hair clips, socks, etc that the kids would just love.

• sambelina78
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2010, 07:16:20 pm
    • Haenam-eup, Jeollanam-do
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 11:17:28 am »
I have played this with my extra class and winter camps. the students loved it. i put a pencil case in the middle of one parcel and Korean luggage tags in the middle of two others (i got from  tourist shop). one of the girls loved the luggage tag, but a boy who won the other tag didn't and gave it to one of the girls. so pencil cases win hands down. i put a question in each layer so the students had to say something in English and then they got candy. you could also put small items of stationery in each layer - like a pencil, eraser, that sort of thing. or stickers.
Buy vitamins, baking supplies, organic toiletries on-line at www.iherb.com. They deliver to Korea for an average $4!!

For $5 off your first order use this code LEP805

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 09:12:11 pm »
I'm not from South Africa, I've never heard of this game, and I'm totally gonna use it at camp this summer.  What a great way to keep them interested and talking.  Thanks for posting this!

• twak24
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2011, 08:01:42 pm
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 09:24:32 pm »
Thanks for the idea, you guys. A new Daiso just opened today 2 minutes down my road, actually. Coincidence? I think not. Nice nice. And hokeypokey, the awesomeness of SA says you are welcome  :D