Read 2632 times

• pez
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• May 28, 2010, 01:25:59 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
Unused sick days?
« on: June 18, 2010, 01:27:23 pm »
Hello! I was wondering what happens to unused sick days.
I am in the GEPIK program, so if anyone has experience with this or knows the answer, please let me know! We received 10, and 9 months into my contract I have only used 1.  (my school is not very friendly about people being sick...)

My contract says something about it, but I didn't understand it when i read it, and now I can't seem to figure out where i saw it....

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

• Warrior
  • Adventurer

• October 08, 2009, 03:03:48 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Unused sick days?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 02:06:56 pm »
I'm afraid, you cannot use your remaining sick days to extend your vacation period. Or if your staying another year they do not carry over to give you more sick days next year. Any unused just get lost.

• sheila
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• November 23, 2009, 08:32:58 am
    • Gangnamgu, Seoul
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 02:14:57 pm »
I suggest 'feeling laryngitis coming on.' Therefore, you can't talk for a while.  Good luck with that.  I have taken like six and I still feel like I could use some more sometimes. I'm always sick here.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
www.freerice.com

• pez
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• May 28, 2010, 01:25:59 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 04:46:15 pm »
So, there is no compensation for unused days?  I swear I saw in my contract (recently) something about unused days being "pro-rated" or something like that. But now, despite attempting to find it I can't!

Laryngitis, nor strep throat (diagnosed) are NOT excuses to call in sick.  They tell me I have to come, and that my classes will be cancelled. So, I can't talk, I can't teach. But i can keep the chair warm (and infect everyone else in my office...)

I have been sick repeatedly here, and even though my contract says I can be gone for up to 7 days with no doctors note, they expect one after 1 day, and even when I have one they deny that I was indeed sick.

I was hoping that at least I would get compensated for the unused days...

Thanks for your help!
amy

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 03:19:37 pm »
So, there is no compensation for unused days?  I swear I saw in my contract (recently) something about unused days being "pro-rated" or something like that. But now, despite attempting to find it I can't!

Laryngitis, nor strep throat (diagnosed) are NOT excuses to call in sick.  They tell me I have to come, and that my classes will be cancelled. So, I can't talk, I can't teach. But i can keep the chair warm (and infect everyone else in my office...)

I have been sick repeatedly here, and even though my contract says I can be gone for up to 7 days with no doctors note, they expect one after 1 day, and even when I have one they deny that I was indeed sick.

I was hoping that at least I would get compensated for the unused days...

Thanks for your help!
amy

Don't re-sign with your school.  You've been there for a year and of course you will be sick more often as a foreigner.  I just called and stayed home for the day.  They don't like it, but they won't, can't fire you if you are sick.  So don't be afraid to take a sick day if you need it.  You DONT have to go in, you can show them the doctors note when you come back.  I was afraid and uncertain but really, why would they fire you if you call in sick, and show up with a dr.s note when you come back? You just need to tell them in advance.   Talk to your coordinator because they are being unreasonable.