Read 4372 times

Mail from overseas
« on: June 15, 2011, 07:59:33 am »
Hi
If somone wants to send me mail or parcels from another countries, is it fine to just put my address in English on he mail, or does it have t be in Korean as well?
Thanks

• bjinglee
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 10:29:48 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Mail from overseas
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 08:03:10 am »
English is fine.

• ramackenzie
  • Adventurer

• November 10, 2010, 03:09:49 pm
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 08:04:25 am »
I've never had a problem with the address being all in English.

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 08:06:23 am »
I recommend that you use your school office address to receive parcels (check with your school first).  There is always someone there.  At your apartment you will have a tiny box for mail, which is in an insecure area, plus you are never at home when the mail is delivered.

• saab
  • Explorer

• March 03, 2011, 07:58:06 am
    • Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 08:07:38 am »
ENglish only has worked for me the past 2.5 years-- ask your school for the english address, they should have it--

• CellarDoor
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• February 22, 2011, 04:25:08 pm
    • Tennessee, USA or Korea
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 08:11:46 am »
To confirm what others have said, English is fine.  I had a friend put both writing types on the envelope to experiment, and it arrived in the same amount of time as letters with only the address written in English (about 8 days from the US to SKorea).  In theory, it's probably good to have the hangeul address too in case something goes wrong, but I'm told that Korean postal workers have to be able to read English writing to get a job, so...

Yeah, English should be fine. ^^  And I second the recommendation to have parcels, boxes, packages, etc. delivered to your school, not your apt.

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 11:16:23 am »
I would agree. English is fine. I have been in Korea for 3 years now, and each time, I had my address in English, and received my things from home,

• SBracken
  • Expert Waygook

• March 07, 2011, 07:41:22 am
    • Pohang, S Korea
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 12:41:02 pm »
I've gotten both letters and packages addressed in English (send them to your school). In fact, my friends told me that the post office (America) *wouldn't ship* packages addressed in Korean. Even if the 'seoul/south korea' part was in
English.

• Jozigirl
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 03, 2011, 07:37:47 am
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 01:46:19 pm »
Parcels get sent to my school and the address is usually in Korean and English. The English only ones have made it through but a little later than the bilingual ones.  Letters to my apartment are usually in English only (from South Africa) and I've only received 1 in 9 months - the rest seem to be MIA.  I now get everything sent to my school.

• jisun
  • Veteran

• June 07, 2011, 02:02:21 pm
    • Goyang-si, Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 01:51:20 pm »
I once ordered something online, and my billing address (in Oregon) accidentally got mixed in with my shipping address in Suncheon, Jeollanam-do.  Since the resulting mess was too long, the computer system "shrank" the address to fit by removing a bunch of the vowels.  The package was sent to "YL NGLSH CDMY, DHNG BLDNG 3FLR, SNCHN JLLNMD, KRE, WLNN OR 97068" and it still arrived just fine.  Score one point for the Korean postal service. :)

• unclefrank
  • Super Waygook

• April 22, 2011, 01:06:32 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 02:24:14 pm »
While we're on the subject, has anyone ever had problems getting over the counter medication from home? Like tylenol or advil?

• Jozigirl
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 03, 2011, 07:37:47 am
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 02:32:30 pm »
While we're on the subject, has anyone ever had problems getting over the counter medication from home? Like tylenol or advil?

Buying it here or getting it sent here?  I have chronic medication posted to me (with a copy of the script and the info pages for each medication) and it's never been a problem.  As for buying tylenol and advil: I've never had a problem buying tylenol, zyrtek, anti-histamines or other similar OVC medications - just ask the pharmacist for them.  A friend of mine was actually taken behind the counter at a pharmacy and told to "choose" her meds that she wanted because the pharmacist didn't speak English; she didn't have a problem buying any of the things she took off the shelf.

• ali87
  • Explorer

• March 02, 2011, 11:13:40 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 02:52:18 pm »
My coteachers are always shoked when my mail gets here with an English address. Hilarious!

• andyfoggy
  • Super Waygook

• December 07, 2010, 12:11:55 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 03:03:49 pm »
English seems to work fine
but I always get the address in Korean too and send it to my family and friends
all they have to do is stick it on your box and hey presto
I also put on my phone number as they phone to see if you are in which comes in handy :)

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 03:45:45 pm »
My first address was pretty easy to anglocise, no difficult vowels, but a card my parents sent me got returned to them because I guess this specific mailman couldn't do it (although I've received other things)... my new address has Konglish in it, and I'm always wondering about whether I should just use the English words that the Konglish ones are trying to be, or just spell them out the way a Korean person would pronounce, them, lol. Anyway, I just give both addresses now to avoid problems.

The postal code is important here.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 06:33:40 pm »
To confirm what others have said, English is fine.  I had a friend put both writing types on the envelope to experiment, and it arrived in the same amount of time as letters with only the address written in English (about 8 days from the US to SKorea).  In theory, it's probably good to have the hangeul address too in case something goes wrong, but I'm told that Korean postal workers have to be able to read English writing to get a job, so...

Yeah, English should be fine. ^^  And I second the recommendation to have parcels, boxes, packages, etc. delivered to your school, not your apt.

Yes, I agree with this. Most of my friends from outside of Korea who send me letters, they always write my address in English, as they obviously don't know hangul. As for the few who do know Korean (or at least hangul), they usually write my address both in hangul and in English on the envelope. I usually prefer the latter, since I feel it's kind of safer, but writing the address just in English is sufficient as well.

For packages, I always have them sent to my school address, as I am never home when packages are delivered and the apartment mailboxes I've had are really small, so it would be inconvenient for me to get packages delivered there. It's just way easier to get them when they're delivered to my school.

• SBracken
  • Expert Waygook

• March 07, 2011, 07:41:22 am
    • Pohang, S Korea
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 07:43:40 am »
I once ordered something online, and my billing address (in Oregon) accidentally got mixed in with my shipping address in Suncheon, Jeollanam-do.  Since the resulting mess was too long, the computer system "shrank" the address to fit by removing a bunch of the vowels.  The package was sent to "YL NGLSH CDMY, DHNG BLDNG 3FLR, SNCHN JLLNMD, KRE, WLNN OR 97068" and it still arrived just fine.  Score one point for the Korean postal service. :)

yes, I believe the Korean Postal Service employs some sort of ninja or spy people... when my gov't mailed me back (finally) some tax forms, they only wrote half the address (way to fail, DC)- they managed 'south korea', the postal code, the do, the si, and.... my name. no street, no building number, no apartment number. they didn't even have the dong.

Korean Post: 2