Read 227654 times

• Pandy627
  • Adventurer

• April 23, 2013, 05:30:10 pm
    • Incheon
Re: Exploring Our World Camp
« Reply #240 on: July 05, 2013, 02:26:08 pm »
Has any one done a presentation on Switzerland as part of an "explore our world"-themed camp?

• joeyg
  • Veteran

• November 10, 2012, 11:54:24 pm
    • London - England
« Reply #241 on: July 31, 2013, 02:34:00 pm »
Ah well... I'll crack through it some how.

Here are 2 games I tried, that worked.

Zombie Survivor
I found 1 Korean Game the kids like, called Zombie Survivor. I've changed the rules a little to suit ESL class.

Materials:
None.
Optional blindfolds.

It's a bit like Marco Polo.

Ideally, you have 1 blindfold per kid to wear around the neck and put on as needed. But simply having them close their eyes works too... as long as they don't cheat.

Rules:
1 person is blindfolded, or shuts their eyes, and walks around like a Zombie, arms extended. The other students try to avoid them. If they are tagged, they become a zombie too, and shut their eyes (they put on their blindfolds if they have them)

Where does ESL come in?
Use a target sentence and countries/continents.
So for my class. In order to help "the Zombie" find people, they can call out..."Where are you going?" and the other Ss must say a country or continent in response i.e. "I'm going to Malaysia".
At first, the only zombie gets taunted a lot, but as soon as a few Zombies are created, it gets hectic and exciting. Making a prize for the last person to be Zombified is a great incentive, but honestly the game is so much fun, the kids don't need one.

Try to get the kids to say random places, rather than just saying 1 set place over and over.

The kids loved it, and it lasted...geez...30 mins. They ask for it constantly.

It's not a short activity. I think 15 mins would be a good minimum time. Every kid wants to be a zombie first at some point.

Magnet toss
(teams or individual)
If you can find magnetic dart board darts, all the better. I didn't have any...

Materials:
Magnetic Whiteboard
Markers
Permanent magnet (there's usually one laying around)
Tape

Take 1 permanent magnet. Wrap a piece of string/thin rubber band/fishing wire/paper around it. Tape this on.
The idea is to make a small buffer around the magnet, as we'll be tossing this magnet onto the board, we need to protect the board from divets/chips etc.

Draw out different random shapes for the 7 continents.
Below is the order of size for the continents. Try to draw shapes that decrease in size, and increase in points.

Asia = the largest continent = 10 points (it's easy to hit)
Africa = 20
South America = 30
North America = 40
Antarctica = 50
Europe = 60
Australia = the smallest continent = 70 (make it really hard to hit)

For my board toss, I used lots of colours and funky shapes to make it interesting. But you could always draw the continents themselves/tape up a map.

ESL practice component:
You could just have them say the name of the continent, but it's easy to incorporate a Q and A.
What's your favourite continent? "My favourite continent is..."
or
Where are you going? "I'm going to Asia"

If Ss hit the one they said, they get the points, if they miss, they get nothing!
It looks easy, but it's actually quite tricky, and thus the kids really get into it.
Test out the game before you start to get the distance right. You want the game achievable, but not easy. Think of it like a carnival game...

At first they all go for the higher point places, but realise the smaller targets are too hard to hit. They might take a risk to catch up later. Teams will discuss which target the thrower should go for.
It's good fun/easy set up.

Activity time. 5-10 as a warmer. But easy to extend to 20 mins if you inspire competitiveness with a prize.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 02:40:50 pm by joeyg »

• joeyg
  • Veteran

• London - England
« Reply #242 on: July 31, 2013, 03:16:28 pm »
For the South Africa lesson,
I led in with the South African PPT from earlier in this thread.
This then led into African animals and a Safari around the school.

I'm attaching the basic Situational presentation I made for the safari.
Clues and Vocab teaching for the animals depends on your kids' levels, so I've not uploaded the ones I used. Board slap, worksheets etc. It's up to you.
There's a PPT on African Animals earlier in this thread though. I've reattached it for convenience (good for flash cards).

I also made a worksheet for the South Africa PPT. It's probably more suitable for Middle school, than Elementary though.

Situational presentation PPT
The story script/lesson plan:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is Jasper and Clarence... What do you think their jobs are?
*Ss run through all the jobs vocabulary that they have!*
They don't have jobs... Why do you think that is?
*Ss guess*
They are rich.
CCQ "do they have lots of money?"
*Ss YES!
"Who else can you think of that is rich?"
*Ss *the queen, psy, the president of America etc.* random answers.
They've bought a Zoo.
But there's one problem?! What do you think that is?
*Ss guess*
PICTURES OF EMPTY ZOO ENCLOSURES
They don't have any animals!
They want you to go out and find them some!
-----------------------------------------------------------

Near the end, I had a training safari, where kids watched a video on African animals and circled/wrote the ones they saw. Again, depends on your kids. I used this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDbmkAMFD1c

Then they go out into the school grounds and follow clues you've made to find the animals.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 03:28:56 pm by joeyg »

• joeyg
  • Veteran

• London - England
« Reply #243 on: July 31, 2013, 03:43:43 pm »
Day 1

I used a modified Geography intro PPT from earlier in this thread (I took out the create your own country bit so I could replace the time with the Where is Matt video) credit goes to the original maker.

Material I made and used:
Passport application (basic fields, but may need some vocab to be covered for lower grades)
Where is Matt worksheet and answer sheet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNF_P281Uu4

Included is the modified Intro PPT with LP.

• bisp13
  • Adventurer

• June 14, 2010, 01:21:25 pm
« Reply #244 on: August 05, 2013, 08:51:18 pm »
This is a Doraemon Game reviewing a lesson on strange festivals.  I made this game at home only to realize I left my usb at school...when I'm able to, I will upload the accompanying lesson ppt and worksheets.  Rock on.

• mcprotea
  • Adventurer

• October 31, 2013, 02:34:17 pm
    • Gwangju, South Korea
« Reply #245 on: November 13, 2013, 07:35:09 am »
Hello,  I'm attaching my MIDDLE SCHOOL Around the World Summer Camp.  Although I made most of the materials, I got a lot of materials and ideas from the fantastic people on this thread (thank you!!). 

I'm attaching all the administrative materials first.   I tried to use the computer as little as possible, so I do not have a lot of ppts, but it worked out great and the kids really got engaged.   Please see the MASTER schedule and MASTER Summer 2013 Camp lesson plan for an outline of my activities and a detailed breakdown of my daily activities, including game and craft instructions.   

I've also included my journal materials.  The kids seemed to be proud of their completed journal, and it made the parents happy to see their work.

• mcprotea
  • Adventurer

• Gwangju, South Korea
« Reply #246 on: November 13, 2013, 07:46:09 am »
MIDDLE SCHOOL around the world camp cont.

Day 1: Egypt
Egypt lesson, Scavenger hunt, and pinatas how-to (because pinatas take several days we started on day one)

Day 2: America
American culture presentation (let them pick what topic to talk about, covered maybe 3), assassinated present game, graffiti material and song lyrics.  Also did minute to win it activities, they were extremely popular.   

(see MASTER Summer 2013 Camp lesson plan for more details)

• mcprotea
  • Adventurer

• Gwangju, South Korea
« Reply #247 on: November 13, 2013, 07:54:54 am »
MIDDLE SCHOOL around the world camp cont.

Day 3: India
India presentation, photo scavenger hunt, yoga boss game and egg drop.

Day 4: Mexico
Mexico presentation, day of the dead face painting, scavenger hunt clues

Day 5: Canada
Canada day presentation, (that day we did their final craft which took a while and smashed the pinatas)

(see MASTER Summer 2013 Camp lesson plan for more details)

« Reply #248 on: December 26, 2013, 02:30:29 pm »
Here's some stuff I am using for my 'Around the World' Winter Camp.

Activities are related to 3 countries- Mexico, Tanzania, and Italy.

There are worksheets or each country that go along with the powerpoints.

« Reply #249 on: January 23, 2014, 08:29:38 am »
3rd and 4th grade transportation activities. I used the board game template, worksheet template, and images from someone else on this thread, so thank you so much! I simplified the material for my low level students.

« Reply #250 on: February 04, 2014, 02:29:57 pm »
I did an Around the World Themed camp so everyday we focused on a different country. Here are some games I used that don't require a ppt.

India - (Grade 3/4) "Yogi Says" (Simon Says) Actions words: sit, stand, pray, meditate, warrior pose, tree pose, breathe, twist, stretch.

USA - (Grade 3/4) Statue of Liberty Game: Two students come up to the front of the classroom and pose like the Statue of Liberty. They cannot smile, laugh, or break their pose. The class must say English words and phrases we've learned in funny voices to make them laugh. The first student to break their pose loses and another student takes their place in the competition. I made this one up off the top of my head to kill time, but now my students want to play it all the time!

Australia - (Grade 3/4, 5/6) Scavenger Hunt: After going over a few prepositions (in, on, under, behind, next to), we learned about the animals of Australia. I broke my class into two teams. Each team recieved a different list of hints. They loved this one because they were able to go outside. I've attached the clues, animal pictures, and also a worksheet before the scavenger hunt.

Italy - (Grade 3/4. 5/6) Trevi Fountain Coin Toss: I arranged some of the desks and chairs into a semi-circle (to look like a fountain). Each chair or desk was worth a different point value depending on how difficult it would be to land a coin on them. I divided the class into two teams (you could probably do more depending on your class size) and they each took turns tossing the coin into the "fountain", aiming for the highest points. Before they tossed a coin they had to make a wish in English or say something they could do in Italy (example: "In Italy, I can go to the Coliseum.")

Hope these help!  ;D

« Reply #251 on: March 04, 2014, 02:59:27 pm »
Sorry some slides are incomplete because I didn't save the finals on this comp, but thought I should just pot it all up anyway and you all can pick at it :P Thanks to the contributors!

« Reply #252 on: March 04, 2014, 03:04:39 pm »
Sorry some slides are incomplete because I didn't save the finals on this comp, but thought I should just pot it all up anyway and you all can pick at it :P Thanks to the contributors!

• franpan08
  • Waygookin

• October 11, 2013, 11:57:00 am
    • Hwacheon, Korea
« Reply #253 on: June 22, 2014, 05:58:44 am »
Here is my traveling the world camp for middle school students. My camp is 4 days, with 5 hours each day. I have yet to teach the final two days and will post them when I have finished designing the lesson plans.

Day 1: Open camp with introductions, Where the Hell is Matt? Make your own passports, Mexico, Pinatas. I made pinatas for the students out of a mixture of newspapers, flour, and water. It was a pretty big success, even though some of the Middle Schoolers acted apathetic. The creation of an individual passport brought everything together and gave the student spaper evidence of something they learned at camp. Can't take credit for this AWESOME passport though. I found it on some homeschool blog.

Day 2: Open camp with introductions, Make your on flag, France, Populations, South Korea. The flag assignment was the most interesting. The students did a great job, but I had to give them a lot of time because they are not very creative without copyng off each other. For France, I brought in Nutella and Bread. For SOuth Korea, we did "Korean Students Speak."

The slides are pretty self-explanatory

• franpan08
  • Waygookin

• October 11, 2013, 11:57:00 am
    • Hwacheon, Korea
« Reply #254 on: July 12, 2014, 07:37:56 am »
And here is the rest of my Middle School aged 4 day, 20 hour camp!
I forgot to attach Day 2 to the previous post, so you can get your information on that.

Day 3, I had two of my American friends come in and assist for the camp. They talked about life ona farm, while I talked about my life just outside of New York City. We also ate Vegemite (foul!) and threw a boomerang. The American accent lesson went over really well, too!

Day 4: The Powerpoint is weak because most of my students could not come so I sort of recycled what I could from class and ended the camp a bit early with ice Cream. You'll probably need to add to it!

• ayankeebell
  • Adventurer

• August 22, 2013, 05:23:34 pm
    • Jecheon, Chungbuk
« Reply #255 on: August 18, 2014, 09:24:09 am »
My Around the World camp went super well! I'm including all of my materials (PPTs, crafts, and my camp book) and my detailed plan. My camp was 3 hours each day for 5 days, but this material could easily cover 2 weeks.

I hope some else can get some use from it! Tomorrow I will add pictures of the crafts that we did. :

• ayankeebell
  • Adventurer

• August 22, 2013, 05:23:34 pm
    • Jecheon, Chungbuk
« Reply #256 on: August 18, 2014, 09:39:17 am »
Here's the rest of my materials.

• Joely
  • Waygookin

• May 06, 2014, 06:44:34 pm
    • UK
« Reply #257 on: August 18, 2014, 03:07:58 pm »
This is my 9 day summer camp used for middle school. I did the around the world theme, took a few bits, ideas from waygook so thanks everyone for that, but most is my own work. Here's the outline of my camp:

Day 1
Introduction to camp.
Icebreaker.
Made passports (use My Passport template)

Day 2 - UK
Introduction to UK.
Made Carry On posters and designed a team flag.

Day 3 - USA
Introduction to USA.
Made s'mores and played campfire games.

Day 4 - Canada
Introduction to Canada.
Made a dreamcatcher.

Day 5 - Italy
Introduction to Italy.
Built the tallest spaghetti and marshmallow tower.

Day 6 - Brazil
Introduction to Brazil.
Made carnival masks.

Day 7 - Australia
Introduction to Australia.
Made aboriginal dot paintings.

Day 8
In their teams students created their own countries. I made an example one to show them.

Day 9
Present their countries.
Then I did a quiz and gave out prizes.

Attached are the main powerpoints I made for each day, the passport template, certificate I gave on the last day and the stamps I used for their passports (they got a stamp each day if they came).

I put a lot of work into this so I hope it helps someone!

• RDW27
  • Veteran

• March 04, 2014, 10:56:05 am
    • Daegu
« Reply #258 on: February 03, 2015, 10:54:58 am »
Hello,

Here is a complete one day camp that I used at an elementary school on Italy. It went really well. The kids were quite high level 3rd/4th Grade, but it would also work well for 5th/6th grade etc. This camp ends by making Pizza Toast, but if you want an easier life you can end by giving the kids ice cream instead (gelato), but you may need to come up with an additional period.

Period 1 - Introduction to Italy (40mins)

In this period the students fill in the first worksheet. They colour the flag of Italy, complete the dot to dot, and colour in the land and sea. We also brainstormed what they knew about Italy. Students also learn how to say hello in Italian. I then go through the PPT and show students six famous places in Italy. The period ends with a Trevi Fountain activity (as stolen from somebody else in this thread) where students practice making a wish and throw coins into a fountain (fill a bowl of water and stick a picture of the Trevi Fountain on it). I gave every student one sweet for making a wish.

Period 2 - Famous Places in Italy

The students play a picture reveal game of the 6 famous places they have learnt about. There are numerous ways to set this up, I went for 4 groups and fastest hand in the air. After each picture is revealed get the whole classs to repeat the name of the famous place. I then go through the dialogue's on the PPT, 'What do you think of....'. As a class, we then wrote a list of vocabulary on the whiteboard to describe things (amazing, strange, boring, relaxing). I then got a few of the students to practice the dialogue in front of the class. Finally students complete worksheet 2 and they spend 5-10mins walking around the class asking each other to give their opinion on an Italian landmark. If you still have time left at the end of this period, then you could get the students to make a poster or postcard on Italy.

Period 3 - Italian Food

Go through the PPT and practice restaurant vocabulary and go through all the Italian food. I then handed out the Italian menu for them to look at for a minute or so. The students then have to choose 6 items from the menu and make their own menu, including pictures. I think this had quite a good effect on getting them to remember some of the Italian foods. Finally go through the dialogue, model the dialogue in front of the class beforehand, and then get the students walking about taking each others order

Period 4 - Pizza Toast

This was a fun, frustrating, scary, exciting, rewarding part of the day! I demonstrated how to make the toast in front of the class in stages and they copied me. Then I had to play chef and cook the  toast. This took far longer than I expected though, make sure you have at least 3/4 Toaster Ovens and allow at least 25minutes to do two rounds of cooking. What you'll need:

Tableclothes, Plastic Cutlery, Plastic Plates, Oven Gloves, 3 Toaster Ovens (mininum), foil,  plastic gloves (for the students).

Bread, Cheese, Tomato Sauce, Peppers, Ham, Corn.

This was fun, but make sure your coteacher controls the students when you are cooking. I head students trying to put their hands on burning hot trays out of the oven.

Alternatively, save the last period to make a poster of italy. The poster should include information about famous places and food in Italy. Then at the end of last period give the students ice cream (gelato). Plastic cups, plastic spoons and a scooper.

Hope this helps somebody!

Good luck

• RDW27
  • Veteran

• March 04, 2014, 10:56:05 am
    • Daegu
« Reply #259 on: February 03, 2015, 10:59:38 am »
Italy Game