Read 227181 times

Re: Winter Camp 2012 - Around the World in 10 Days
« Reply #200 on: November 30, 2011, 10:14:56 am »
This is a really well thought out and exciting lesson plan! I am very excited to be incorporating this into my Cultural Understanding Camp I am planning for January. I have 1 extra week than you, so I am adding two "Day in the life of a student" from two different countries; USA and the Phillipines. I know cousins living in both so they are making videos answering the same questions in each. Afterward, my students will discuss, compare and contrast their answers and interview eachother for their own Korean video.
  One suggestion for your plan... Have you ever heard of the 1980s Jim Henson TV show, The Storyteller? They were about 20-25 minutes long and used humans and muppets to tell magical folktales from Russia and Eastern Europe. It might be a fun, and unique way to show your kids about Russia.

Good luck with your camp and I am sure it will go GREAT! I especially LOVED your Navajo DreamCatcher craft project! Awesome!  :D

Re: Countries and Culture Class
« Reply #201 on: December 05, 2011, 09:40:25 am »
This is a great lesson on culture! Wish I found this earlier.

• redhairangel
  • Waygookin

• March 27, 2011, 05:24:35 pm
    • Siheung, South Korea
Re: Countries and Culture Class
« Reply #202 on: December 06, 2011, 10:15:11 am »
What grade level was this for?

• MattyDub
  • Adventurer

• March 08, 2011, 02:33:20 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Exploring Our World Camp
« Reply #203 on: December 15, 2011, 01:40:33 pm »
First off I'd like to thank everyone on this site for making it such an invaluable resource.  I had to develop a 3 week curriculum for my elementary school's winter camp for advanced EFL students.  I have incorporated and edited many resources I have found on this thread, as well as created some more material.  I will upload everything, including a detailed outline, for a 3 week camp.  I hope this helps someone! 

P.S. I've also created a great "Golden Bell" Quiz; it's in the Third Week!  Because I can't upload files containing files, I will upload the files in the order they are being used.  Reference the "Winter Camp Schedule .xls" if things are looking a bit confusing.

• MattyDub
  • Adventurer

• Seoul
« Reply #204 on: December 15, 2011, 01:57:08 pm »
Ohhh Waygook is slow to upload, this might take ages!!!  Here're the materials for week 1, days three and four:

• MattyDub
  • Adventurer

• Seoul
« Reply #205 on: December 15, 2011, 02:06:48 pm »
Week 2, days one and two:

• MattyDub
  • Adventurer

• Seoul
« Reply #206 on: December 15, 2011, 02:17:29 pm »
Week 2, days three and four.

I have not posted day five for either week, and will not post materials for the third week.  The first two Fridays will be game and movie days, respectively.  The third week will be project based, as outlined in the "Winter Camp Schedule" file.

Merry Christmas!

• TheWB18
  • Expert Waygook

• October 27, 2011, 07:51:30 am
    • South Korea
Europe Camp
« Reply #207 on: December 19, 2011, 11:59:35 am »
This is an "Around the World: Europe" camp.  Did it with 5th and 6th grade (elementary), and it was definitely a challenge for the majority of students, so it could probably be used for middle school lessons as well. It's a huge help to have a Korean CT on this one, but it's possible without one.

The central idea is the travel video - there are a few travel videos for students to watch (all Rick Steves, unfortunately couldn't find much else on YouTube that was age-appropriate and of good quality), and the main activity is for them to make their own travel video.

There are two lesson plans for this - one has a PPT game, the other one skips the game and has a craft activity and worksheets instead. I think the PPTs and main activity make a nice core, but you'd definitely want to add to this and make changes based on your students level and interests.

• Sunny_D
  • Waygookin

• August 23, 2011, 09:47:32 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #208 on: December 20, 2011, 02:54:45 pm »
I've planned an 'Around the World Camp' for 5th grade. It's 3 days long. I've attached all of the worksheets and I'll upload the powerpoints when they're finished...

• SBangSan
  • Waygookin

• January 20, 2011, 04:30:03 am
    • USA
Re: Around the World Elementary School Camp
« Reply #209 on: December 21, 2011, 10:47:52 pm »
Thanks for these lesson ideas! I'm using some for my winter camp...I wonder, which Youtube video of the world did you end up using as an introduction? I can't seem to find a good, short one to use...

Re: Around the World Elementary School Camp
« Reply #210 on: December 22, 2011, 11:24:00 am »
This is very well organized.  I have a main game that I will use.  It works well with young learners and adults.  I need to have a good look at this but I think a lot of the stuff I can use.  Thank you for sharing.

1. For this game they have pretend to be travel agents they get into pairs and work together.  One group will have to be three if you have an odd number.

2.  They all have a limitless budget.  They have to plan a 5 day holiday and they can go anywhere in the world.  I will show them Lonely Planet short clips of some different countries to give them ideas. The youtube shows what fun things you can do in those countries.

3.  The children make a broucher or booklet it will look like this:
Day One
We will ____
We will _____
They write 3 things for each day.

4.  The pairs are each numbered say Student A and Student B.
First round all student B's stay seated and Student A has 3 minutes to sell their holiday to student B of the other team after 3 minutes they have to go the next student B of the other team until they come back to their own partner.  That way they have to say We will bla bla several times. 

5. Round 2 Students B now stand and sell while student A sit and listen.

6.  Everyone must choose the holiday they will buy BUT they cannot choose their own.  The winning pair are the ones who have convinced the most people.

• Sunny_D
  • Waygookin

• August 23, 2011, 09:47:32 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #211 on: December 22, 2011, 01:41:48 pm »
Here are the powerpoints I promised to upload to go with the lesson plans. I've yet to find a suitable video clip that explains The Taj Mahal story! Has anyone found one that's quite simple? Whoever uploaded the England PPT? I made some changes to suit my class but thank you!

• wuanne
  • Newgookin

• November 08, 2011, 03:01:00 pm
« Reply #212 on: December 22, 2011, 03:09:41 pm »
Thanks for the idea!!

I really like the idea about the passport stamp reward system.
I found this youtube vid that will be fun to show to students too.
"Where the H*** is Matt?" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNF_P281Uu4

• stemarty
  • Featured Contributor

• September 02, 2011, 12:20:42 pm
    • Jeonnamdo
« Reply #213 on: December 28, 2011, 12:03:28 pm »
I found this really amazing site online while looking for ideas for my exploring the world winter camp.

It's easy to show kids videos or photos of places we cannot take them to...but try showing them some virtual tours/paneramatic photos of some of the worlds most amazing places in the world here: http://panoramicearth.com

« Reply #214 on: December 28, 2011, 01:35:28 pm »
I added to a previously posted ppt on South America.  I felt it is a little neglected, but the kids had a lot of fun with it.  Today we practiced geography.  The last part I meant like a quiz and did boys vs. girls team game.  I had the countries written in the back of the room and they struggled to remember flags and famous places in the countries.  It was good fun.  To go along with the theme we made paper cut-out flags which is generally a decoration in Mexico but....I stretched it as its an easy craft but they have tons of fun with it.  Makes nice decoration for the classroom too...Lastly, I taught them how to salsa dance and they had a blast.  Hope someone can use this at some point.  Thanks for all the great posts as they have made camp much better!

• amcinnisa
  • Adventurer

• March 01, 2010, 07:47:50 pm
    • Hwasun
« Reply #215 on: December 29, 2011, 11:59:38 am »
Hey Guys,
 I adapted the amazing childhood game of RISK for the ESL classroom. The rules can be a bit complicated for the kids at first but once they get the hang of it they don't want to stop playing even after the teacher calls time. Basically, each player starts out with their own countries by passing out cards and marking them with a colored (erasable) marker. When a player attacks, they have to ask the question corresponding with the letter on the map (feel free to change questions depending on level). When the defending player answers, they both roll dice and the higher number wins. If the defender wins, the turn goes to the next player, but if the attacker wins, they have another chance to attack somewhere else after marking their color on the new territory.

Trust me, it's less complicated when things start rolling and the kids LOVE it. The game can't really be done in less than 30 minutes so probably allot about an hour or so for it and you should be alright.  Also, you should laminate the map after printing.

Please feel free to ask any questions if you have any!

OUR WORLD
« Reply #216 on: December 30, 2011, 10:51:33 am »
I just finished my winter camp of 4 lessons for 4 days.
I chose the theme OUR WORLD.
I used the countries Canada, Brazil, England, South Africa,
India and Australia to represent each continent.

I had 35 student.
We divided them in
Group A - Higher level and Group B Lower level.
Each class had 3 groups of plus minus 5 students in each.
So the 6 teams in total got the 6 different countries as their team names.

Here is all the material we used. Half of the credit should go to my friend Jen.
Here is day 1:

OUR WORLD
« Reply #217 on: December 30, 2011, 11:00:26 am »
Here is day 2:

OUR WORLD
« Reply #218 on: December 30, 2011, 11:07:25 am »
Here is day 2 Scavenger Hunt:

« Reply #219 on: December 30, 2011, 11:14:59 am »
Day 3

(Olympics and Cooking I got from someone else on waygook!!!)