Read 227653 times

• superjo2092
  • Adventurer

• April 26, 2011, 08:17:36 am
    • Gwangju, Korea
Re: Around the World camp
« Reply #120 on: June 23, 2011, 03:42:45 pm »
Ummm yeah now they work.  Sorry.  These are awesome...again.  I was thinking of some kind of kids movie involving travel to a different place.
"-Isms in my opinion are not good.  A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself.  I quote John Lennon, 'I don't believe in Beatles.  I just believe in me.'  A good point there.  After all, he was the walrus.  I could be the walrus, I'd still have to bum rides off of people."

« Reply #121 on: June 24, 2011, 01:52:11 pm »
Is it just me or is the Australia ppt missing?
I'd rather spend 1000 winters in Korea than have to deal through one more summer.
~Unknown waygook.

• minnekev
  • Waygookin

• December 22, 2010, 10:35:58 am
    • Goseong
Re: Exploring Our World Camp
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2011, 07:53:31 pm »
Thanks heaps for this!! We are doing an elementary summer camp that is nature/environment centred, and all of this stuff will be very useful. Will try and remember to post the materials we end up making/modifying with all these PPTs and resources.Thanks for sharing!!

• Rivalsan
  • Waygookin

• April 05, 2011, 03:12:19 pm
    • Wonju, South Korea
Countries and Culture Class
« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2011, 09:17:48 am »
This past winter I did a two part class that focused on teaching information about six different countries and their cultures. I love teaching about my own culture, but I wanted my students to learn about other cultures while using English.  We focused on two countries from North America (US, Mexico), two countries from Europe (France, Germany), and two countries from Asia (China, Japan).

In case anyone was wondering, all of the statistics for the countries were gathered from Wikipedia. Enjoy  :D

• kraggy
  • Adventurer

• May 24, 2011, 02:55:17 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2011, 12:28:34 pm »
Yeah, it's missing.

Would be great if it was uploaded as the other stuff is really good. Thanks to the uploader. Good job.

• Perals
  • Waygookin

• May 01, 2011, 10:24:53 am
    • KOREA
Re: Countries and Culture Class
« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2011, 01:53:51 pm »
 ;D

OMG Thanks so much for this AWESOME unit!! It's exactly what I was looking for for one of my Summer Camp days.
You are a STAR!!!

Cheers!!!! ;)

• Ltc1026
  • Explorer

• June 29, 2011, 07:41:56 am
    • Earth
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2011, 09:59:34 am »
Ummm yeah now they work.  Sorry.  These are awesome...again.  I was thinking of some kind of kids movie involving travel to a different place.

Maybe you can show them Around the World In 80 Days with Jackie Chan in it??

• Ltc1026
  • Explorer

• June 29, 2011, 07:41:56 am
    • Earth
Re: Countries and Culture Class
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2011, 10:03:24 am »
And maybe you can make a big pot of spaghetti and share it with the students to end the camp?  ;D

« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2011, 02:36:18 pm »
Here's Australia...

Also, about movies, I know a few movies loosely related to travel, maybe Jumanji or Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Up is also a good travel movie, so is Wall-e.

• Wendel
  • Adventurer

• September 16, 2010, 01:17:58 pm
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2011, 01:21:21 pm »
Here are my worksheets based on geography/travel. The ppts I have downloaded from here and changed them a little to match my lesson plans. My lessons are 40 mins each for a total of 8 days.

Day 1: Icebreaker: Findsome who...
           Geography ppt
           Continents ppt
            Continents worksheet

Day 2/3 S.America ppt/facts
              Ramon story
              cryptic countries

day 4/5 Europe ppt/facts
              Write a postcard
           Song
           Eiffel tower

day 6/7 Africa ppt/fact sheet
          Madagascar video/.sheet
          African animals
          animal masks
          monkey worksheet

day 8 N. america ppt/fact sheet
          Quiz
          wordsearch

• Wendel
  • Adventurer

• Seoul, Korea
« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2011, 01:23:52 pm »
More materials

• Wendel
  • Adventurer

• Seoul, Korea
« Reply #131 on: July 01, 2011, 01:27:34 pm »
The rest

• cansom
  • Adventurer

• April 27, 2011, 09:43:12 am
    • Korea
« Reply #132 on: July 04, 2011, 03:41:14 pm »
Hi,
I am also planning an Around the World-themed summer camp for my middle school girls.
I am searching for a song and a movie to fit with the camp but it has been a bit of a challenge. I am considering Around the World in 80 Days, but I am not sure how into it my middle school girls would be??
Does anyone have any ideas of recent movies that depict a lot of locations around the world? Ones that are not totally childish but yet not too mature?? I was also considering BBC's Planet Earth series, but I think that might be a bit dry for summer camp (though the cinematography is amazing if you have never seen it).
As for the song, I am considering K'naan's waving flag song but would like your opinions for any others that talk about diverse places or mention country names.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

« Reply #133 on: July 04, 2011, 09:22:26 pm »
Around the World - Daft Punk

except it doesn't show any countries at all... but it's a cool video if you want to kill a few minutes at the end of class.

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
Australia Themed Lesson Pack (80 mins, 2 levels)
« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2011, 01:01:39 pm »
This was used on my Winter Camp in response to a direct request for an 80 minute lecture on the country, and it seems a waste to let it rot away on my USB all alone. The theme is Australia, and it is kinda touristy oriented. Nothing strikingly political or controversial here (except the song and associated copyright trolling), its meant to be a fun 80-100 mins with a break midway and regularly spaced creative activities mixed in. The kids may learn a little about culture and sport and a little more about nature.

The presentation is set up to allow the students to make meaningful decisions. Each class will see approximately 60-70% of the content on a given run-through. Missed locations are rigged to contain the same general activities as the locations you did visit.

Wearing a relevant hat is optional.

Details:

Theme: Australia, Touristy
Intended Grades: Elementary/Primary School
Levels: Two (G3-4 and G5-6)
Timing: 80-100 minutes, can be extended further with artsy stuff added halfway.
Special Features: Choose Your Own Adventure style presentation.
Prep Work Required: Insert picture of female staffmember (or male if you want to go change all the pronouns), insert rewards into reward slides, prepare and practice presentation, print handouts. Slides with Placeholder images/text are: 1, 13, 20, 27, 33, 42, 48, 56, 64, 103, 109 and 110. The placeholders are presently Daejeon Dollars and the ever delightful ice queen, Ms. Yuna Kim. No placeholders are animated, nor reliant on triggers; jus' plonk n' play. The song lyrics pages has slots to draw a picture or write Korean translations next to the underlined words.

Lesson Flow: Students begin by choosing a start point (east or west coast) and work their way across the map "searching" for their lost teacher/principal/securityguard/groundskeeper/lunchlady/Yuna Kim/whoever. The lost person is always on the opposite side of the map to where they begin. Further class votes let the students choose their path. They are all issued a map at the start when told their precious Ms. Placeholder has gone missing and then encouraged to tick off where they've searched to keep it all game-like. At most locations, students can take turns in groups to search a subregion. Some of these are along strictly optional routes. Some groups will get reward stickers (camp dollars etc), some won't. At the final location, one group will find the missing individual. The 40 minute mark should end up at Alice Springs (centre of the map). About halfway through each 40 minute lesson (so about the 20 minute mark), students should encounter an activity station (on the Kakadu/Coober Pedy and Outback/Blue Mts. slides). An optional artsy activity station exists in Alice Springs if you wish to extend the lesson beyond 80 mins. At the end, every student gets a camp dollar or two as a reward. When I did it, I actually stipulated a reward of $60 at the start and then at the end, I pocketed the remainder and got the students to do the math to divide the rest up amongst them all. Finally, have the students inspect their marked map and reflect on where they've been. Encourage them to learn about the unvisited sites from the other classes who may have been there and share their journey in return.

Warning: There's plenty of materials, but not much... substance in the slides themselves, so its up to you to explain things and make it work. If you're Australian and have travelled a bit, this is easy and you could wing it on the explanations. If you do not fall in this category, you'd want to spend 30 mins or so on Wikipedia in prep so you have some interesting factoids to state. Don't just download and call it a day, still plan the lesson, timing and what you'll say.

Resource List:

Powerpoint Presentation (PPT 2003)
Printable Map (1 per student)
Mazes (1 per person, two varieties, low level)
Wordsearches (1 per person, high level)
Comic Frames x4 (1 set per group, high level)
Kookaburra Sounds MP3
Kookaburra Song MP3 (low level)
Lyrics sheets for the board, or to display (low level)
Lyrics sheets for the students (1 per student, low level)
Dot art outlines (optional, if your class s over 80 mins or spare time exists)

Slide Explanation and Activity Stations:

"City/Sight" Locations: Teacher gives a quick explanation of something Australian in English related to the location. Each location gives two ideas of things to explain.

"Search" Locations: Each student group chooses one location of the 6 to search and possibly win a camp dollar or other reward. For high level students, I make them describe the location in English, using colours, prepositions, ordinals (from left) etc.

"Map" Locations: Students vote on a direction to go. Self explanatory. Try to discourage doubling back, but be aware that the slideshow is pretty robust if the students do really, really want this.

1st Activity Station (Coober Pedy/Kakadu, Low Level): Don't click on the dude. Students receive and follow the alphabet maze. Two variants exist depending on where this is encountered on the map so its all thematic and stuff. Printing unused variants of these is OK because you can just dole them out to finished students in future.

1st Activity Station (Coober Pedy/Kakadu, High Level): Click on the dude to introduce the activity. Students receive a wordsearch. The answer to the question is in the leftover letters.

Optional Activity Station (Alice Springs): Quick art project. Give the kids a crummy outline and have them colour it in Aboriginal dot-art style.
I'm sure a scathing political commentary can be made on the appropriation of indigenous culture by Europeans (and subsequent tourism profits) here somewhere but this is a pretty standard activity in Australia and kids will just see it on the literal level that its intended (ie: look at the pretty pictures from this foreign culture; now you try!)

2nd Activity Station (Outback/Blue Mts, Low Level): Click on the Kookaburra. Students learn and sing the Kookaburra Song. For the most part we did this without the music track as its rather fast, but I played it as an intro and at the end.

2nd Activity Station (Outback/Blue Mts, High Level): Click on the Platypus. Groups of students receive 4 frames of a crummily drawn comic. Their goal is to arrange them in what they think is the correct order (there is none) and decide what they're saying. We had the students present theirs afterwards.

Oh well, I hope someone's students enjoy this.

The Kookaburra song included was nicked off of a talented young American chap on Youtube, and my apologies for omitting the credit here as I can't find the video again. My thanks go out to him though for providing the only decent recording online I could find. The original recording was not used because I simply couldn't find it. It's practically been erased from existence following the Men At Work "scandal" (read: legal trolling incident). Other images were taken mercilessly from Google Image Search so apologies again for lacking credit.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• Seoul
Re: Australia Themed Lesson Pack (80 mins, 2 levels)
« Reply #135 on: July 05, 2011, 01:22:37 pm »
If you're doing a full "Travel" themed kyampeu with a different country Tues-Thurs, I've also attached some relevant resources below for the obligatory "packing your bags" and "immigration roleplay" section on Monday. Its a bit more interesting than the regular one as they have to kinda fit the bits together like a jigsaw puzzle (Deus Ex style). Furthermore, there are wooden, dangerous, living and food items hidden amongst the selection so you can surprise the students who pick these items (boys, always boys for the sword) with the fact they now have to answer "yes" to the "Do you have anything to declare?" question and explain that this isn't a bad thing, they'll just take a look and give it back (usually).

Coincidently, back in Aus, I've heard we get a fair few problems with East Asians trying to slip prohibited (for pest control) foodstuff through because they are taught there is one correct answer (check any textbook) and that that correct answer is always "No, I have nothing to declare." Do your bit and rectify this, hey, as nobody wants to be new in a foreign land and given the once-over simply because they did what they honestly thought was correct.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• Seoul
« Reply #136 on: July 05, 2011, 01:40:27 pm »
For relevant songs:

They Might be Giants has a song entitled "The Alphabet of Nations" off the kids' album "Here Come the ABCs". It goes through A-Z with a different country for each letter and primary school kids at least love it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 02:53:52 pm by sheila »

• cwells
  • Adventurer

• September 13, 2010, 08:28:19 am
    • south korea
Planners and materials :Around the world
« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2011, 11:47:54 am »
Here are my planners and materials for 'Around the world' for  6th, 5th and 4th grade Summer camp. I hope you find them useful. Some are PPT's I've downloaded and adapted to fit my students, others I have made myself. I will post the other materials separately.

• oneilkam
  • Explorer

• September 09, 2010, 07:43:45 am
    • South Korea
Around the world camp
« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2011, 12:57:57 pm »
Hello~ These are some materials I used for my winter camp that I thought I would share. I did an around the world theme. With grades 4,5, and 6 I had them make passports. Inside the passports is where I would keep track of their attendance and good behavior by giving stamps. The younger grades just made nametags. I will attach my weeks outline for the camp and the passport outline. 

• oneilkam
  • Explorer

• September 09, 2010, 07:43:45 am
    • South Korea
Re: Around the world camp
« Reply #139 on: July 07, 2011, 01:00:39 pm »
Here is the passport outline~^^