Read 8703 times

• Luna
  • Waygookin

• February 09, 2010, 02:43:34 pm
    • South Korea
Taylor Swift- You Belong With Me
« on: June 08, 2011, 07:15:38 am »
Students love Taylor Swift and especially enjoy this video.

Part 1: Listen to and correct the lyrics
           Check the lyrics
Part 2: (Remainder of song) Count. How many times do you hear Taylor Swift say You belong with me?
Part 3: Vocabulary
          Circle the best meaning for the bold words.
Part 4: Write three reasons why you think Taylor Swift should be with the guy or not.
Part 5: Watch the video.
Part 6: Sing along!

Have fun!

• jkaufma1
  • Explorer

• March 02, 2011, 06:34:00 pm
    • pusan south korea
Re: Taylor Swift- You Belong With Me
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 07:38:00 am »
really funny and kids enjoyed even tho i personally dont like taylor swift haha

• CellarDoor
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• February 22, 2011, 04:25:08 pm
    • Tennessee, USA or Korea
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 08:54:21 am »
I've been wondering about doing a Taylor Swift song for my 1st grade high school classes.  Would you be willing to tell us a little more info about your classes, so teachers can start planning how to adapt this maybe?  For example:

What English skill level do your students seem to be?
All boys, all girls, or a mix?
Did you have any problem spots in the lesson (comprehension difficulty, too much leftover time, ran out of time, etc.)?

If you have a chance to share your ideas or tips, that'd be great!  I have occasional problems with TV access, since I go to different homerooms, and they don't all have consistently working TVs, but I hope I can use this lesson.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 09:02:34 am »
Thank you for posting this. I am working on a lesson for this song right now. My students love Taylor Swift. I don't, but it is better than listening to Justin Bieber again. I'll have to overhaul this, because my students' English levels are low. But this will help me in the right direction. Nice work and thank you.

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 09:13:35 am »
thanks!! i've pretty much resorted to just using song-based lessons in my after-school, otherwise getting the kids engaged and actually understanding what's going on hasn't been panning out.
so this is lovely :)

• Teemowork
  • Expert Waygook

• September 13, 2010, 08:21:30 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 09:41:14 am »
I'm sure a lot of kids would enjoy this song.  Just watching the video alone, they could probably already get the jist of it.  However, I was wondering if anyone came across either the music video with English and Korean subtitles together, or at the very least a lyric sheet with the line by line Korean translations as well.

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 11:05:04 am »
Here's my version. It was really successful in my classes. The top half of the worksheet contains questions pertaining to the video. The bottom half contains activities for listening to the lyrics. As I learned in the CELTA, I paused, re-wound and replayed the song after each blank in the listening and asked "What did she say?"

• CellarDoor
  • Fanatical Supporter!

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 03:03:24 pm »
Great worksheet, duchessrachel!  I may want to adapt it for my lower level students, or figure out how to slowly work through it to ensure comprehension, but this combined with the initial ideas and resources from Luna should help me turn this into a successful lesson.  Thanks so much to the contributors!

Taylor Swift isn't my personal favorite, but I don't mind her music, and I did have some students asking me about one of her songs way back at the beginning of the semester.  I think this'll hold their interest if the technology works for me. :)

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 03:34:22 pm »
Well done guys! both great worksheets thanks very much.
Have adapted for my lower level students, think they are going to love it,

• CellarDoor
  • Fanatical Supporter!

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 09:56:01 am »
This lesson went great!  I've never seen my low-level HS girls' class so interested in a lesson!  They were listening, volunteering, participating, laughing, gushing... thanks for this great lesson plan idea and stellar materials. :)  Now to see if the boys' classes can make it through the lesson.  I'm somehow anticipating a little different reaction from them. Heh.

It took me a little while to figure out pacing, but by combining Luna's PPT and duchessrachel's handout (and making a few adaptations to fit my students' pace), the lesson went pretty smoothly.  For the lower level classes I just had to repeat the music video a few extra times for them to catch what Taylor was singing with her Southern USA accent.

I like the handout from Luna, but since I have over 550 students, it's just not feasible for me to have a 4-page handout for each student.  It would be excellent for an after-school class or (as I've seen suggested in other Taylor Swift threads here) a camp theme of storytelling though!

Oh, and here are some helpful time marks for using duchessrachel's handout using the official YouTube music video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuNIsY6JdUw:

For "LYRICS" to get to the beginning of the song covered in part b, jump to 0:35 seconds.
For the song portion covered in part c, jump to 1:08 seconds.
It's easy enough to figure this out on your own by winging it, but there ya go in case the info helps anyone.

...I may be becoming a closet Taylor Swift fan...  :-\

• korr
  • Expert Waygook

• July 16, 2009, 12:35:46 pm
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 09:23:13 am »
My high school first graders loved this lesson! Definitely the most involved class I've ever had after finals.

I changed the handout so it all fit on one double-sided half sheet, but they didn't have any trouble following along. I also walked them through the vocabulary as a class, since I've got lower-level students. They didn't have any problem picking out the correct words, though.

• KarizmaB
  • Adventurer

• December 27, 2010, 10:12:26 pm
    • Uijeongbu, South Korea
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 09:00:35 am »
This will be great for summer camp!

My middle school students are always begging me to play music videos but are very low level so most go too fast for them.

I was wondering if anyone who has adapted this lesson for lower level students could post  the worksheets or give some tips on how you did it?

Thanks!

• Kuhle
  • Waygookin

• March 07, 2011, 07:46:37 am
    • Yecheon
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 09:01:42 pm »
Thanx a bunch guys, these are awesome. Will try this out on my middle schooler tomorrow - if I'm a success, I have something for some of next weeks classes. Think my weekend just became a little less busy  :P

• naz437
  • Adventurer

• August 26, 2011, 09:38:28 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 11:44:15 am »
incredibly well structured lesson-the worksheets are really clear, so both lower-level and higher-level students should be ok with them. well done guys, you've just saved me alotta time.

• tim717
  • Explorer

• October 26, 2011, 10:14:22 pm
    • Daegu
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 12:02:58 pm »
Great!  It seems as if many of my classes are excited to learn about American Music.  Hopefully, this will keep them entertained and focused.

Cheers!
Tim

• niharika
  • Explorer

• November 04, 2010, 12:05:41 pm
    • andong
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 12:38:35 pm »
thanks for this .. i am sure my students will be thrilled!