Read 2102 times

• Brirish
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2011, 03:33:52 pm
    • Namyangju
Quoting to students
« on: June 02, 2011, 12:09:03 pm »
In my time here I've noticed more and more that I'm taking the opportunities presented by my students and coteachers to respond with quotes from films, the Simpsons and so. I never explain what I'm saying, I know they don't understand it, but because I'm sad and I like my little amusements, they make me chuckle on the inside.

Playing battleships with 6th grade elementary students. Student from Team 1 points to Team 2 and says "Teacher! We going take that ship!"

Me: "Commandeer. We're going to commandeer that ship. Nautical term."

Today, I ended up having to shout at my 5th graders after they'd been unbearably noisy and disruptive for the whole class. I said the usual stuff, the be quiets, no talking, stop. I kept my "angry" face on the whole time, but I couldn't resist throwing in at the end: "I WILL NOT TOLERATE YOUR INSOLENCE."

6th graders again, doing the chapter "My father is a pilot." Going round the room asking different people to tell me about the jobs their families do. One little lad, let's call him Minho, began: "My mother is a housewife. Me... 여기... My borther, older, is student. My father is...

..."

Me: "Yes, what does your father do? Obi Wan never told you what happened to your father?"

Minho: "My father, I don't know!"

Me: "No, Minho, I am your father."

Honestly, I don't feel proud that I made a joke that only I in the whole school would understand and find funny.

Just wondering, though, if anyone else likes to do this? Sometimes I find these sorts of things come out unintentionally. For some reason I remember lines from films and songs and tv really easily. They just sort of stick, and these days it doesn't seem to take much from the people around me at work to bring them out.

Re: Quoting to students
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 10:33:21 am »
Hey man,

I came across this post while I was doing a search on tips for controlling a noisy class. Hilarious.

• jisun
  • Veteran

• June 07, 2011, 02:02:21 pm
    • Goyang-si, Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 02:05:24 pm »
The other day I was explaining to my 5th graders that a sentence beginning with the word "What" is almost always a question. "For instance," I said, " 'What is your name?' "

Naturally, the next two examples I gave were "What is your quest?" and "What is your favorite color?" I even did the funny voice. They all sat there with grave faces, nodding seriously and taking notes. I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this!

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 02:14:19 pm »
You're a funny guy.

I could see myself slipping like that if I taught at a much higher-advanced-English-level school. My 6th grade are so low they're probably at the level of your kindy so I don't say much more than the actual words I want them to learn that day. Try not to confuse 'em by speaking gibberish (which is what any word that is not "target language" or has never been "target language" will be to them).
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 11:46:38 am »
I do that too for the amusement of one of the 6th grade homeroom teachers (who thinks it's even funnier b/c the kids don't know what's happening). We have a good time in that class...

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 04:50:47 pm »
Haha. " 'No, Minho. I am your father.' "

I had conversations with myself somedays in class at the low level school I was at. Like after giving really easy directions spoken slowly, enunciated achingly slow in English (as opposed to Een-guh-lee-shuh) or something like "do you understand?", I would catch the blank stares of the children and sometimes the teachers and respond for them as a narrator, as a narrator would give voice to their thoughts. I would narrate the class somedays while the class was still in session aloud. One coteacher in particular didn't understand or didn't understand the concept of what I was doing. It coulda swung both ways, given the level. O- It was all the same gibberish at that point. I chucked to myself when my back was turned or after class, if I could last. O Korea.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 05:02:37 pm by alljokingaside »