Read 3820 times

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
Need constructive advice from veteran NETs....
« on: May 30, 2011, 02:11:30 pm »
I am about renew and I need some advice on the most tactful and productive way to get what I need.
1) I sit at a pre-war dated desk (okay a slight exageration, but not by much), it's lopsided, old and busted up and too small for my needs. I want a desk like everyone else.

2) a new computer with at least MS office in English though I would prefer windows to be in English. This might be a challenge since a lot of the subject teachers are needing new ones, however, mine is the oldest and not even actually screwed together (the cover slides off easily).

3) I need my desk moved as it is the 7th desk and in an awkward place with my computer wires strewn haphazardly across the floor so that teachers walkng past to get coffee have tripped hard numerous times and disconnected my internet/power at the same time.

To me it doesn't seem like a lot to ask for (new pc in English and new desk in a new location) but I fear if I just ask for it outright it will come out wrong and damage my relationship with them...so...does anyone have any approaches that have worked or they think will work to keep my relationship in tact and get what I need? Please only constructive advice from those having been through at least one renewal.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Re: Need constructive advice from veteran NETs....
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 02:24:57 pm »
Hi,

Well congrats on having a desk with a computer. Some teachers dont even have a computer or desk.

If the desk does the job I say just leave it be. Same for the computer. This is Korea. Most things are in Korean. You could enquire about whethar they have English software. Same goes for the desk, no harm in asking if they have something more suited to your needs.

I'd say get the wire situation sorted before anyone get injured :)

• Burndog
  • Super Waygook

• July 16, 2010, 11:49:17 am
    • Suwon
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 02:35:53 pm »
Hello!

I've asked for something each time I've re-newed and never been refused.  I think asking for a new desk, in a new place, with a new computer on it....would be O.K. 

I think stretching it out to include English software might be a stretch...simply because the cost of getting Windows and Office in English would be very high!  My tip would be to make friends with the computer/tech person at your school...if possible...and ask if you can install Office in English on the computer.  i did that...and it went well.  office in English is enough to make my life easier!

As for how to ask...the best way is to explain what you want and why, and make it clear that it isn't a 'shakedown'!!  I didn't go with any sort of 'do this and ths or I won't re-sign' sort of deal...I just asked to meet the Principal and Vice Principal and mentioned what I would like whilst we talked about me staying and how happy they were.  It went well...but...I have been promised things that have never (and will never) be delivered...so don't bank on this stuff!

Good luck!!

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 02:42:17 pm »
Burndog:
Thanks! Just wondering, how would you word it sensitively? Any suggestions there? I feel like, just coming out and saying would seem somehow pushy.

Hello!

I've asked for something each time I've re-newed and never been refused.  I think asking for a new desk, in a new place, with a new computer on it....would be O.K. 

I think stretching it out to include English software might be a stretch...simply because the cost of getting Windows and Office in English would be very high!  My tip would be to make friends with the computer/tech person at your school...if possible...and ask if you can install Office in English on the computer.  i did that...and it went well.  office in English is enough to make my life easier!

As for how to ask...the best way is to explain what you want and why, and make it clear that it isn't a 'shakedown'!!  I didn't go with any sort of 'do this and ths or I won't re-sign' sort of deal...I just asked to meet the Principal and Vice Principal and mentioned what I would like whilst we talked about me staying and how happy they were.  It went well...but...I have been promised things that have never (and will never) be delivered...so don't bank on this stuff!

Good luck!!

• Burndog
  • Super Waygook

• Suwon
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 02:47:19 pm »
Well...I discussed it with my co-teacher first (so that she wouldn't be surprised...but also so that she could give me her opinion on my chances!) and then in the meeting I just asked if it would be O.K if (as an example) I could teach in a single English Zone rather than moving from homeroom to homeroom.  I think asking is fine...but demanding is terrible.  i simply asked for things...but in a way that showed them that I knew that I was asking a lot and expecting very little.

• Burndog
  • Super Waygook

• Suwon
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 02:55:41 pm »
When I wanted my desk moved, I asked politely. They said no right off the bat. I handled it the Korean way by sighing a lot and spending a lot of time by the window drinking my coffee wistfully. I went away to my sub school and when I came back on Monday I had a new desk and chair in a better spot.

Hahahaha!  Yeah....I've also gotten the odd extra thing by sulking and staring wistfully at the mountains!  Nice!

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 02:57:27 pm »
Well...I discussed it with my co-teacher first (so that she wouldn't be surprised...but also so that she could give me her opinion on my chances!) and then in the meeting I just asked if it would be O.K if (as an example) I could teach in a single English Zone rather than moving from homeroom to homeroom.  I think asking is fine...but demanding is terrible.  i simply asked for things...but in a way that showed them that I knew that I was asking a lot and expecting very little.

Two questions:
1) any specific word choices you would say are good for requests (I know you can't be me and such, but I am looking for least aggressive approach.
2) off topic slightly, did you have an English zone when you made that request?

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 03:00:59 pm »

2) a new computer with at least MS office in English though I would prefer windows to be in English. This might be a challenge since a lot of the subject teachers are needing new ones, however, mine is the oldest and not even actually screwed together (the cover slides off easily).

http://www.openoffice.org/

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 03:10:09 pm »

http://www.openoffice.org/

I love OOO but try opening a 20mb Super Mario ppt in OO Presentation and see how your beautiful formating holds up.

Yeah, honestly, I think having MS office in English is the least of my requests. I also don't think posting a simple link to open office is all that helpful to my OP. Neither is pointing out that others don't have desks. I just needed constructive advice. So thanks Rusty and Burndog. Any other constructive advice is welcome. I have couple of days before I need to say anything.

• Burndog
  • Super Waygook

• Suwon
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 03:18:21 pm »
Well...none of my uber bosses have ever spoken English...so the final wording was entirely my co-teacher's.  You just need to make sure that your co is on script...and not gonna throw you under the bus or make you sound greedy!!!  So...how much do you trust your co?  I never had any issues with mine...and I asked each question in my most polite voice...as if they were afterthoughts..."Oh, and while we're here, I was wondering if there was any chance that we could look into having an English Zone?  I've seen them at other schools, and I think it's good to have somewhere for the children to practice their English.  When i move classroom to classroom, I have trouble with my ppts not working, so the children aren't being taught as well as they should be."  Knowing that a third of what I say gets translated properly (my Korean listening is better than my Korean speaking!) I don't worry so much about what I say, as I do how I say it.  Smiling, looking at the Principal and Vice Principal...looking concerned when i talk about 'the children'.  In short...being sincere, and explaining how them helping you will benefit the students....is probably the best way to go about it!

• ToniV
  • Adventurer

• December 16, 2010, 08:13:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 03:31:18 pm »
hey OP, this thread tells you how to change MS office on a Korean computer to English. So, only MS word, PPT, Excel, etc are in English. The rest of your computer is still in Korean.

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,5163.0.html

This will lessen your number of requests. :)

I did this to my desk computer and it has helped SO MUCH in preparing better PPTs for class and whatnot. You will feel so much more productive because of it. But, if you dont have these certain window operating system, sorry.
Smile. Pass it on.

• Janitor
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• June 14, 2010, 02:01:32 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 03:31:40 pm »
Burndog is on to something here. When I asked for my stuff I did the same and strangely I got more than what I needed. I just approached in the most easy going way. I did the same thing as Burndog by stating something really passive like "oh is it possible to get a few things for next year... it would the classes by...."

When I did that, the following year (after the break) I got what I wanted and more. They came back and asked me if there was anything else. This year was the same. So I would advise you just to be sincere and a little on the passive side.

They are not going to get angry if you are asking for stuff that you actually need unless you are making a huge deal out of it.

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 07:33:08 pm »
Hey,
I'm not sure about the level of English that people have at your school, but using polite English words and expressions might just confuse them. My co's English isn't that good, and when I talk to her I literally have to just give her the nouns first so she can figure out what I want. Just stick a please in there and be smiley about it.

First, have you seen an empty desk somewhere in your school that you might be able to use? If yes, you can ask "is anybody using this desk? I really need a bigger desk." Say that you can work better with more space and make better lesson plans for your students. If you want your desk to be placed somewhere else, see if you can find a better place yourself, then ask. I find that if you're asking people to provide a solution for you, you won't hear back for a while. But if you have an idea, they'll be quicker about it. When I had a bunch of work dumped on me, I complained a few times how it was too noisy to concentrate in the teachers' office... so now I have a quiet classroom with a computer to work in all afternoon, if I want! Can you swing something like that? 

My PC last year kept dying. I kept asking my co-teacher to help me (to no avail) but I lost my patience when my usb ports died. I said to my co: "are you free right now? can we please go talk to someone from IT? i can't make my lesson plans".... and ta-daa..... tech lady checked it out and I got a new computer. I missed my lunch that day and sat with her as she was installing windows etc, and I played a big part in deciding what went on my PC. no English Office for me, but I manage.

• jauntwithjo
  • Veteran

• September 07, 2010, 07:26:13 am
    • seoul, korea
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 11:16:30 pm »
So the language pack to change the Microsoft programs to English only works for 2003 FYI.

I have a Korean desktop riddled with viruses, but otherwise, it works fine.

The good thing about having the 2007 programs is that if you're even mildly familiar with the program, the icons are very self explanatory. And if you encounter commands that are just too much, google some tutorials with screenshots! I've managed to troubleshoot most the minor problems myself, so when I have things I can't handle, my CTs are more than willing to help since I rarely need it.
Before you create a thread, remember waygook.org has a search engine! Please help keep the redundancy down. Do a little research of your own before making a thread in case the information is already available.

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 08:23:21 pm »
Thanks everyone for your feedback and help. Especially Janitor and Burndog, yours is especially helpful. We'll see what happens. I bombed my open class so I'm taking a break before asking for anything.  ;D