Read 3115 times

Kickstart: Documentary on Korean Education
« on: May 28, 2011, 01:09:25 am »
Hey guys I know there is not a lot of people on this on Saturday, but please check out this project and throw in if you feel its worth supporting:   

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1877491487/documentary-on-korean-education

Thanks-

Re: Kickstart: Documentary on Korean Education
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 01:36:51 am »
Oh also if you throw in for any project on kickstart and they do not reach their goal you lose nothing, your account is not charged because the project was not completely funded.

• oskinny1
  • Expert Waygook

• November 01, 2010, 10:31:37 am
    • Busan
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 07:58:33 am »
I was a bit skeptical when I saw she is only 19, but then watched the video and she changed my mind. I can't wait to see the final project.

ps. It's Fulbright  :D

Good luck!!

• Yu_Bumsuk
  • The Legend

• March 03, 2011, 02:10:36 pm
    • Hicksville, ROK
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 10:24:16 am »
She should spend a few weeks with my vocational students. See how many hours a week students can spend at school learning absolutely nothing.

• Yu_Bumsuk
  • The Legend

• Hicksville, ROK
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 10:35:22 am »
I finished watching it. What an absolute crap 'documentary'. It starts off as if it's going to provide some actual insight on Korean education and then goes into 15 minutes of the exact adolescent drivel I listen to half my waking hours. Is this supposed to be a 'documentary' about education or the minutia of  Korean schoolgirls' lives?

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 11:06:05 am »
I think the authors purpose was to expose the culture of excessive study and stress while taking a look at the concept of beauty and what is beautiful in Korean society. This exposure is intended to I believe have people question and develop identities while showing the outside world a glimpse into the life of a Korean student. I think its scholastic and cultural achievement should not be quickly written off as "crap" or "drivel". Perhaps read the few paragraphs under the video.

• Yu_Bumsuk
  • The Legend

• Hicksville, ROK
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 11:14:23 am »
I think the authors purpose was to expose the culture of excessive study and stress while taking a look at the concept of beauty and what is beautiful in Korean society. This exposure is intended to I believe have people question and develop identities while showing the outside world a glimpse into the life of a Korean student. I think its scholastic and cultural achievement should not be quickly written off as "crap" or "drivel". Perhaps read the few paragraphs under the video.

And what on earth does she appear to be achieving? It looks as though she's gone to one academic high school and interviewed one teacher. Someone could come to my HS and "achieve" all of that in 15 minutes. She hasn't even touched on hagwon life or the nature of the exam system and how it drives everything else (besides showing a short clip of one exam). I don't know who's drivel is more pedestrian - hers or the schoolgirls'.

• creeper1
  • Veteran

• September 09, 2010, 09:02:08 am
    • Hwaseong City
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 11:27:57 am »
I think there is a limit to what can and should be done surgically. Natural beauty is best in my opinion but then this culture applies pressure.

On a side note. This author, just by being in Korea, is probably doing just as much as the teacher in teaching and motivating the students in English. I wonder if she also sat through other classes that were given in Korean.

If this is an exchange student then I think it is a great idea. It is good to see the students using English in a natural way with a foreign student.

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 11:36:09 am »
And what on earth does she appear to be achieving? It looks as though she's gone to one academic high school and interviewed one teacher. Someone could come to my HS and "achieve" all of that in 15 minutes. She hasn't even touched on hagwon life or the nature of the exam system and how it drives everything else (besides showing a short clip of one exam). I don't know who's drivel is more pedestrian - hers or the schoolgirls'.

This will be my final post on this thread- Please note I do not take what you are saying offensively, you are entitled to think what you think, but I believe you are playing devils advocate for misguided intentions. To answer your question though I view the project as it seeks to:

To promote and challenge the concept of cultural, socio and economic identity
To promote and challenge the concept of beauty
To promote and challenge the Korean education system
To expose to the outside world a unique way of life those less fortunate have never seen.
To act as a catalyst or inspire or promote a change in cultural ideology.

For these reasons it is a worthwhile cause. *Also its just a 15 min trailer not the actual documentary.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 11:38:00 am by Harry Yeong »

• Taya
  • Veteran

• December 14, 2010, 07:59:09 am
    • Changwon, Korea
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 07:24:23 pm »
It was interesting but the title is incredibly misleading. Education was barely mentioned.

Hopefully the final film will actually touch on education and not just focus on how girls want big eyes.

• NZ4Life
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2011, 12:04:35 pm
    • Gyeonggido, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 09:21:16 am »
It was interesting but the title is incredibly misleading. Education was barely mentioned.

Hopefully the final film will actually touch on education and not just focus on how girls want big eyes.
pretty much where my skepticism comes from also.

"the fault dear Brutus is not in our stars but in ourselves [...]"

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 09:49:48 am »
Are they done filming? I was under the impression that they needed funds to continue gathering more information, not just for production processing...