Read 1738 times

• nancy
  • Veteran

• August 28, 2009, 04:37:54 pm
    • Hwasan
TOEFL Testing
« on: April 26, 2010, 01:47:57 pm »
Hi there!
Can anyone help me ?? I have a high school student that wants to apply to KAIST in the fall and he really needs to improve his listening and speaking abilities before the interview. Does anyone have any websites/aids/suggestions that can offer me concrete lesson planning to best to help this student? He is very dedicated but our time together is limited and I want to make the most of it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Re: TOEFL Testing
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 02:24:27 pm »
Have the student use http://www.breakingnewsenglish.com/

I'd have the student first listen to the mp3 of the news story. Think about what what the topic is. Think about questions about the story.

Then I'd have the student read the article to check their own comprehension.

If the student thinks he needs to he can listen to the mp3 of the article again to reinforce.

Finally I'd have the student check in with you. The student can just provide an overview of the article and note any difficulties they had with idioms or vocabulary.

The student can do 2 of these per day and maybe check in with you 2x per week.

• nancy
  • Veteran

• August 28, 2009, 04:37:54 pm
    • Hwasan
Re: TOEFL Testing
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 08:19:15 am »
Thanks for the help! I will speak to him and see what we can work out. I know most of the students really enjoy news articles and the listening and reading will definitely help. Fingers crossed!