Read 7532 times

• Luvlee
  • Explorer

• October 30, 2010, 02:42:25 pm
    • Singapore
Any Singaporean teaching in Korea?
« on: May 25, 2011, 11:48:21 am »
Hi was wondering if there are any Singaporeans teaching in Korea? I'm an MOE trained English teacher and am wondering if I can teach in Korea or do they just want native speakers (ang mohs)?

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
Re: Any Singaporean teaching in Korea?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 11:54:40 am »
Sorry, you have to be a native speaker from the 7 English speaking countries: New Zealand, Australia, United States, Canada, South Africa, England (UK), Ireland, and Scotland.

(Do have those countries right, fellow waygooks?)
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 11:56:28 am »
You missed India. There are a select few from India now.

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 12:05:28 pm »
True, but...I meant did I miss (or misstate) any of the seven recognized English speaking countries.  ;D
Fall intake of Indian GETs is a whole sum total of...3. I feel bad for those three folks, I think they're test subjects.

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 12:41:14 pm »
You may be able to find a job in a hagwon. Unfortunately, I think they may use your nationality as an excuse to pay you less. There's a Filipino teacher working at a hagwon some of my students go to, so it is possible.

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 12:50:04 pm »
You may be able to find a job in a hagwon. Unfortunately, I think they may use your nationality as an excuse to pay you less. There's a Filipino teacher working at a hagwon some of my students go to, so it is possible.

Married?  E2?
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• Koenji
  • Super Waygook

• December 03, 2010, 02:43:17 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 12:52:27 pm »
The only way you can teach is under a student D2 visa (or if you happen to be a gyopo that can fly under the radar) but you might have no interest in being a student again.....

I don't know how the rules are here in regards to teaching mandarin Chinese though in regards to Singaporean nationals...I know there are a good number of Chinese hagwons here that employ Chinese nationals (but then again, you might have no interest in teaching that language either).

• Tpre022
  • Veteran

• November 10, 2010, 12:32:50 pm
    • Namhae island, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 12:56:26 pm »
There's a Filipino teacher teaching English in my public school. Unfortunately, yeah, her pay is much lower than mine for approximately the same work D: 

The big issue as I understand it is the Visa - she already had I think an F2. I don't think you can be sponsored for an E2 without being from one of those 7 countries. So unless you're married to a Korean or somehow eligible for one of the other working visas, I don't think you can work legally. Get a confirm from someone who's sure they know what they're talking about though, I'm a little uncertain.

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 01:13:40 pm »
I know this is off topic.. but OP, I am wondering how to GET INTO singapore.  I was born and raised in America but my family is from Singapore.  Can I get a job at a public school without a teaching degree? 

• Brirish
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2011, 03:33:52 pm
    • Namyangju
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 01:25:27 pm »
Sorry, you have to be a native speaker from the 7 English speaking countries: New Zealand, Australia, United States, Canada, South Africa, England (UK), Ireland, and Scotland.

England is one of the countries in the UK, along with Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The UK isn't another name for England. The list should read New Zealand, Australia, United States, Canada, RSA, UK, Rep. of Ireland.

• hunterst
  • Veteran

• December 03, 2010, 10:10:25 am
    • Ansan City
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 01:33:15 pm »
I know this is off topic.. but OP, I am wondering how to GET INTO singapore.  I was born and raised in America but my family is from Singapore.  Can I get a job at a public school without a teaching degree?

You can get a work holiday visa, it's good for 6 months.  I had one.  You most likely can not teach English there if that's what you mean, as it's the offical langauge, and they can already speak it, for the most part, fine.

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 01:41:09 pm »

England is one of the countries in the UK, along with Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The UK isn't another name for England. The list should read New Zealand, Australia, United States, Canada, RSA, UK, Rep. of Ireland.
Yeah I know that ㅋㅋㅋ I wasn't sure how to capture Northern Ireland/England, so I put the UK in parathesis.  ;D

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 09:13:31 am »

You can get a work holiday visa, it's good for 6 months.  I had one.  You most likely can not teach English there if that's what you mean, as it's the offical langauge, and they can already speak it, for the most part, fine.

Right, I figured they won't need an English teacher.  What did you do there for 6 months if you got that work holiday visa?  I was thinking about taking up grad school there and become an official teacher. 

• hunterst
  • Veteran

• December 03, 2010, 10:10:25 am
    • Ansan City
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 10:03:56 am »

Right, I figured they won't need an English teacher.  What did you do there for 6 months if you got that work holiday visa?  I was thinking about taking up grad school there and become an official teacher.

I worked for a company that led team building and leadership trips for schools and business.  Basically a school or corporate group would come to us and we would lead programs for them for either a few hours or a few days.  It was really fun, but the pay was much lower than Korea and I only worked 15 days a month.  They hire foreigners, I can give you the email address if you are interested, but again the pay was much lower.