Read 137 times

a motorcycle for a beginner?!
« on: January 25, 2023, 11:53:36 am »
Hi all,

I知 just wondering if anyone has any advice for a total beginner on getting their first motorcycle?!

I知 particularly looking for suggestions on make/model and where to buy from. I値l mainly be using it for short city commutes, but I think I知 opting for a semi-automatic rather than a scooter because I want to occasionally ride out into the countryside on small roads (I知 in Chuncheon, Gangwon-do, so that should be easy enough). I was therefore thinking of 90, 110cc, or 125 maximum (as allowed on my license). I致e been looking at Daelim City models because of how cheap and ubiquitous they are, but I also like the look of small Hondas, such as the SuperCub, maybe even Dream or Wave (though these don稚 seem that common here).

I know about Passo which looks like it has lots of good options, but not sure if it would be the best for a first time buyer. Would a dealer be a better option because then I can have future repairs done there?!

One of my main concerns though is about test riding. I致e never ridden a semi auto before, nor have I actually driven on the roads in Korea, so I知 a bit apprehensive about doing so, especially without insurance at first for a brief test ride. Would this process be the norm? Ideally any dealer would have some kind of private yard where I can practice!

Thanks for reading and for any suggestions! I should add, not sure if this was the right topic to post under; apologies if not!

• Augustiner
  • Expert Waygook

• December 06, 2021, 01:18:06 pm
    • Anyang
Re: a motorcycle for a beginner?!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 12:19:20 pm »
Hi all,

I知 just wondering if anyone has any advice for a total beginner on getting their first motorcycle?!

I知 particularly looking for suggestions on make/model and where to buy from. I値l mainly be using it for short city commutes, but I think I知 opting for a semi-automatic rather than a scooter because I want to occasionally ride out into the countryside on small roads (I知 in Chuncheon, Gangwon-do, so that should be easy enough). I was therefore thinking of 90, 110cc, or 125 maximum (as allowed on my license). I致e been looking at Daelim City models because of how cheap and ubiquitous they are, but I also like the look of small Hondas, such as the SuperCub, maybe even Dream or Wave (though these don稚 seem that common here).

I know about Passo which looks like it has lots of good options, but not sure if it would be the best for a first time buyer. Would a dealer be a better option because then I can have future repairs done there?!

One of my main concerns though is about test riding. I致e never ridden a semi auto before, nor have I actually driven on the roads in Korea, so I知 a bit apprehensive about doing so, especially without insurance at first for a brief test ride. Would this process be the norm? Ideally any dealer would have some kind of private yard where I can practice!

Thanks for reading and for any suggestions! I should add, not sure if this was the right topic to post under; apologies if not!

I had both a Honda Wave and Dream when I lived in Thailand.  I also had a Yamaha Spark Z.  For a brief period when I lived out in the sticks here I was going to go for the equivalent type here.  With a 125CC you can comfortably get up to 80km/hr.  I ended up moving back into the Seoul/Gyeonggi area so abandoned that plan.  They have different names here but I have seen ones that look just like the Wave.  You might have to look around a bit to find one with a double seat as a lot of them had space for a food delivery box where a backseat would go.  I think most cities will have a bike shop or several shops all together. Especially with how home delivery has taken off here I'm guessing selection has only improved since I last looked into it.   

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Re: a motorcycle for a beginner?!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 02:38:20 am »
City Slickers Cycles Monterey electric if you can find one in Korea. Styled like a Vespa. Husk Cycles electric mopeds are neat.

DNA motors (Daelim) Besbi is a Vespa knockoff.