Read 1113 times

Re: Christmas Plans?
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2022, 02:56:52 pm »
I don't think schools out yet. All mine start vacation the week after next.

Glad you had a good vacation.

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Sierra Leone
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2022, 03:01:53 pm »
The family and I just got back from 2 weeks in Phuket. The Amata Resort. It was very nice with an amazing breakfast buffet that changed a little bit every day. Close to Jung Ceylon and Central Plaza and of course Bangla Road. Incredible seafood dinners every night and of course beach time everyday.

One down side in my opinion. The place is infested with Russians and they treat the locals like crap. I speak the language and spoke with several dozen Thai and they all feel the same way about Russians, and it ain't good. I witnessed Thai being treated like garbage by Russian tourists many times. Sad......the Thai are wonderful people.

Back to work on January 9. me and a few friends are hopping on our dirt bikes and taking off into the jungle. I don't expect to die so I can't really call it an adventure!!!!!!!!!!!!

How's the desk-warming going?

Great. Thailand is my favorite country. Phuket isn't favorite destination though.
Too busy and mainstream. I remember one trip we watched about fifteen double
decker buses full of Chinese scream past our hotel. It was weird. But we didn't
see any after that. They get shuttled off to shopping and sightseeing pretty quick.

Phuket is better than Pattaya, though. What a dump.

My favorite would be Koh Samui. Chill, laid back, lots of weed shops and two PDGA
disk golf courses.

Blocked: JonVoightCar

• Augustiner
  • Expert Waygook

• December 06, 2021, 01:18:06 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2022, 03:13:20 pm »
Great. Thailand is my favorite country. Phuket isn't favorite destination though.
Too busy and mainstream. I remember one trip we watched about fifteen double
decker buses full of Chinese scream past our hotel. It was weird. But we didn't
see any after that. They get shuttled off to shopping and sightseeing pretty quick.

Phuket is better than Pattaya, though. What a dump.

My favorite would be Koh Samui. Chill, laid back, lots of weed shops and two PDGA
disk golf courses.

I don't think Koh Samui has been described as chill and laid back by anyone, except for those arriving directly from Asoke and Sukhumvit, for quite a few years.  That place has changed a lot.  Gone are the days when you could find one of those basic bungalows right up by the beach where you could head out for lunch and come back to having to walk through high tide to your porch.  Beats waiting for traffic lights while headed to the beach in Patong, though. 

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Sierra Leone
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2022, 03:26:05 pm »
I don't think Koh Samui has been described as chill and laid back by anyone, except for those arriving directly from Asoke and Sukhumvit, for quite a few years.  That place has changed a lot.  Gone are the days when you could find one of those basic bungalows right up by the beach where you could head out for lunch and come back to having to walk through high tide to your porch.  Beats waiting for traffic lights while headed to the beach in Patong, though. 

Unfortunately the whole country has changed. I remember those bungalows.
I remember being right on the beach on Ko Chang. Great. But I think some
modernisation was probably good. Now more tourists arrive and more jobs
are to be had. Tesco and Seven-Eleven have certainly expanded consumer choice.
But it is still nice you can get awesome Thai food for a couple of bucks from
impromptu snack bars.

Blocked: JonVoightCar

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2023, 01:50:39 pm »
I'm surprised you don't watch the greatest Christmas movie: Die Hard. :O

I don't like, or celebrate, Christmas. Nothing against the religious aspect of it, but I worked retail from 15 years old, until I graduated uni and got my first big boy job. Retail killed any love for the holidays that I had. xP

"Die Hard" is not a Christmas movie.  >:( I'll fall on that sword over and over.

And yeah, I get becoming disillusioned or disenchanted with the holidays, haha. I worked service and retail until I graduated from uni myself. But I personally do still love certain holidays, especially Christmas, I just do my best to avoid the bullshit and drama that some people try to drag into them.

• VanIslander
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2023, 02:35:01 pm »
"Die Hard" is not a Christmas movie.  >:( I'll fall on that sword over and over.
An argument worth happening on its orginal screening but the quarter century (third of a century!) since shows it holds up well with a bud. It sure ain't less Christmasy than "Home Alone".

https://youtu.be/4Wi28Vsi_ZU
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 02:40:03 pm by VanIslander »
Help others, especially animals. Say what you think, being considerate of others. Appreciate more than deprecate. Teach well and jump on teachable moments. Enjoy Korea as it is, without changing it. Yet, at times, change your life for the better. "The most important [thing] is to have a good day."