Read 2245 times

Re: What has changed/is changing the most in South Korea?
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2022, 07:44:25 am »
I heard teachers back home aren't allowed to yell at students nowadays.  They also have to put out food on the floor for kids who think they are cats.  It's not enough to push gender confusion identity, but now species confusion must be accommodated.  Schools in the west are f@ked.  (Well, maybe not Florida.  Thanks Ron for keeping that place in order.)

hangook, as a couple of others have pointed out, the "students identifying as cats" myth has no basis in fact. The origins of the myth have been explained, and there is a pretty clear timeline showing how it mutated into a right-wing talking point. Joe Rogan, who helped to popularize the idea, has now admitted that it is BS. He changed from "my friend's wife is a teacher and she says", the implication being that this happened at the school where she works, to his friend's wife hearing a rumor about it happening at a school where she had previously worked, a rumor that could not be confirmed.

My question is, what would it take for you to conclude that this story is not true? What kind of evidence would you consider sufficient?
Who let the dogs out?

- Mitt Romney

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2022, 08:03:17 am »
hangook, as a couple of others have pointed out, the "students identifying as cats" myth has no basis in fact. The origins of the myth have been explained, and there is a pretty clear timeline showing how it mutated into a right-wing talking point. Joe Rogan, who helped to popularize the idea, has now admitted that it is BS. He changed from "my friend's wife is a teacher and she says", the implication being that this happened at the school where she works, to his friend's wife hearing a rumor about it happening at a school where she had previously worked, a rumor that could not be confirmed.

My question is, what would it take for you to conclude that this story is not true? What kind of evidence would you consider sufficient?

That's the beauty of being a nut-job conspiracist!  It's impossible to prove the non-existence of something, since absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

• D.L.Orean
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2022, 08:29:39 am »
Joe Rogan, who helped to popularize the idea, has now admitted that it is BS.

Spotify forced him to say it was BS. Doesn't mean it isn't true. Just means that even Joe Rogan needs to bend the knee for corporate America. He use to be stronger than that. Money has changed him.

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2022, 10:32:33 am »
Even if it were true that it happened it does not mean
A) That the teacher was being serious
B) That this is a widespread policy

This is like Jussie Smollet only for the right. Things are just too on the nose and the circumstances highly questionable. Stop being such a gullible sap.

• Bakeacake
  • Expert Waygook

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2022, 01:36:45 pm »

If Alex Jones tells him they were actually furries dressed as marmots and not cats.

Hes severely compromised mentally. Nothing will influence him into rational thought.

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2022, 01:59:35 pm »
I tell what has changed, There are not many 'cafe' style bars anymore. You know, the ones where groups of men used to wander from one to the next all night. Where the owner and maybe a middle-age woman or two, would serve you shockingly expensive plates of fruit or seeds, then rotate from table to table, drinking your beer and engaging in conversation...ofte n having to defend themselves from being groped. This was the norm Monday-Friday in the area we used to live until the early 2000s. (Hangook, take note 'used to' not 'use to')

Some of these places were absolute dives, with just a bucket in a dark corner to piss into. Really disgusting. I have no idea why Korean men used to invade these places (Actually, I do. Something about having their ego stroked). Every time I was invited out for a beer, this is where I would be taken.

Do you still see many of these places around?

« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 02:06:01 pm by Jethro Bodine »

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2022, 02:05:44 pm »
I'm gonna have to ask a couple of my coteachers about these cafe bars, lol.

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2022, 02:07:07 pm »
I have no idea why Korean men used to invade these places (Actually, I do. Something about having their ego stroked). Every time I was invited out for a beer, this is where I would be taken.
Sigh.

Do we always have to do this and everything has this vaguely "us vs. them" tone (which we ourselves b*tch about when Koreans do it to us)?

Also, like anyone who wasn't a total bigot would recognize that this is rather similar to the experience in various SE Asian establishments and westerners. This behavior seems pretty standard with men in general.

Aside from that, fair observation.

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2022, 02:19:09 pm »

Sigh.

Do we always have to do this and everything has this vaguely "us vs. them" tone (which we ourselves b*tch about when Koreans do it to us)?

Also, like anyone who wasn't a total bigot would recognize that this is rather similar to the experience in various SE Asian establishments and westerners. This behavior seems pretty standard with men in general.

Aside from that, fair observation.

Exactly Marti! But this was an observation based on living here. If the same thing was happening back in NZ, I would say the same. Jumped the gun a bit boyo! No us vs them coming from me. You should know that by now.

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2022, 10:42:47 pm »
Not really surprising but it was something that I hadn't thought about. The shijang will all but disappear in the not too distant future. Pretty sad really. We do a lot of shopping at the local markets.

https://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2022/11/26/2022112600499.html

« Reply #50 on: Yesterday at 08:18:45 am »
Here's a change- The rapid rise in minimum wage during the Moon years has seen significant effects on small businesses, shocks in the hospitality industry that were only exacerbated by COVID, inflation, and an ongoing series of labor disputes as everyone now feels it is necessary to demand more wages in response and to preserve their status, and as prices have inflated calls for even more minimum wage increases are being made, which if answered in significant fashion will cause more strikes.....

Moon REALLY messed things up by raising minimum wage by such a degree in such a short time. Just because something makes you FEEL like you're being nice and helping, doesn't make it a smart thing to do. Even with COVID and Ukraine this still would have been a problem, but add those two on top? It really messed up things and is another reason you can't do it by such a degree in such a short amount of time- it can really exacerbate things if unexpected big events happen.

• Renma
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #51 on: Yesterday at 09:50:38 am »
Yes, yes, well done marty. HOWEVER you were against the minimum wage hike back then, and therefore it is my duty as a waygook.org user to kneejerk oppose any position you hold.
I want to make it 20k an hour so us NETs can sink even lower on the totem pole.

• Fneh
  • Newgookin

• May 22, 2015, 01:28:27 pm
« Reply #52 on: Yesterday at 09:56:23 am »
Every time a minimum wage increase has been proposed, the extreme right wing claim that jobs will be destroyed; and every time the opposite has actually happened. The economy booms, people can afford to spend more and businesses make more money. Stop buying into right wing talking points.

Here's something that has changed in South Korea, the amount of qanon weirdos gassing each other up in teacher forums has increased exponentially.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #53 on: Yesterday at 10:52:56 am »
Here's a change- The rapid rise in minimum wage during the Moon years has seen significant effects on small businesses, shocks in the hospitality industry that were only exacerbated by COVID, inflation, and an ongoing series of labor disputes as everyone now feels it is necessary to demand more wages in response and to preserve their status, and as prices have inflated calls for even more minimum wage increases are being made, which if answered in significant fashion will cause more strikes.....

Moon REALLY messed things up by raising minimum wage by such a degree in such a short time. Just because something makes you FEEL like you're being nice and helping, doesn't make it a smart thing to do. Even with COVID and Ukraine this still would have been a problem, but add those two on top? It really messed up things and is another reason you can't do it by such a degree in such a short amount of time- it can really exacerbate things if unexpected big events happen.
Giving people the opportunity to earn a living wage is not "being nice' to make oneself "feel good."

Messed up things how? Is that why the truckers are on strike or the current president is getting into a war of words with NK that he can't back up?

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #54 on: Yesterday at 12:23:19 pm »
Giving people the opportunity to earn a living wage is not "being nice' to make oneself "feel good."

Messed up things how? Is that why the truckers are on strike or the current president is getting into a war of words with NK that he can't back up?

The problem was that other people didn't get a riase and now many are equally poor together.  Same thing happened in some parts of Canada over a decade ago when many provinces rose their minimum wage too quickly.  Sticker shock 10 years ago after not being home for a while was a kick in the teeth.  (I was grateful to still be in lower cost Korea at that time.) 
745sticky, Augustiner, Bakeacake, D.L.Orean, Lazio, Mithras, Renma, Rye are still blocked and I can't see them.

• Bakeacake
  • Expert Waygook

• Pohang South Korea
« Reply #55 on: Yesterday at 01:18:43 pm »
The problem was that other people didn't get a riase and now many are equally poor together.  Same thing happened in some parts of Canada over a decade ago when many provinces rose their minimum wage too quickly.  Sticker shock 10 years ago after not being home for a while was a kick in the teeth.  (I was grateful to still be in lower cost Korea at that time.) 

did you get a raise with the new Epik wage increase?   why not ask for a bigger one?

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #56 on: Yesterday at 01:21:58 pm »
did you get a raise with the new Epik wage increase?   why not ask for a bigger one?

Did you? 
745sticky, Augustiner, Bakeacake, D.L.Orean, Lazio, Mithras, Renma, Rye are still blocked and I can't see them.

« Reply #57 on: Yesterday at 01:28:21 pm »
Your cousin and her kids

• ToilingAjumma
  • Super Waygook

• September 06, 2022, 09:12:01 pm
    • LargeKoreanCitizenCountry
« Reply #58 on: Yesterday at 01:38:01 pm »
"But my cousin said that he knows someone" - hankook77, quoting from his immense book of facts and quotables.

His post is gone but he did say that the cat litter thing is true. His cousin knows a guy who knows of the school in question!!!

• Bakeacake
  • Expert Waygook

• Pohang South Korea
« Reply #59 on: Yesterday at 01:46:50 pm »
Did you? 

i left epik 6 years ago.  I make 4.5mil now. I work for it, but i make it.