Read 1552 times

• 7Suarez7
  • Adventurer

• November 01, 2010, 12:45:06 pm
    • korea
Summer Camp finishing after 4:30pm??
« on: May 24, 2011, 03:24:44 pm »
Has anyone else been told their summer camp will finish beyond regular public school hours 8:30-4:30??

I work at a public elementary school and was told today that Summer Camp would be 3 weeks from 2:40-5:40pm Monday-Friday in July/August. I checked my 2011 EPIK contract which seems confusing as Article 8 basically says that the school can schedule any 'temporary English programs' for whenever they like including outside work hours and on weekends! I don't have any problem with this but i just wondered if that measn I get paid extra?

In Article 8, clause 5 The contract says that should I work outside work hours but less than 22 hours a week then 'the employer shall have the authority to determine the appropriate supplementary overtime pay'

Does this mean they can pay what they want, or not pay at all? I actually have a very good relationship with my school so I don't want to rock the boat by demanding pay and i'm not overly concerned about the actual money but I would like the same deal as other public school teacher if they too have to work beyond regular work hours, so if there is anyone reading this in the same situation can you please update if the school is paying you at all for this?

Re: Summer Camp finishing after 4:30pm??
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 03:37:48 pm »
In my case (High School), as long as it's under the maximum amount of teaching hours they won't pay any extra, even if the hours are a little off for camps. They had me working some really strange hours in the past vacations. It's probably not worth rocking the boat over, imo, since you seem happy at your job.

• amddII
  • Explorer

• October 27, 2010, 12:38:59 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 03:39:09 pm »
it sounds like they've got discretion over whether to pay you extra or not. i haven't heard of anyone working camp outside regular hours, but if it's only a three hour per day camp and you have a good relationship with your school, i wouldn't ask. do you get to go in late, or will you be desk warming starting at 8:30/9? if you don't have to go in until like 2 or whatever, i definitely wouldn't ask. if you have to desk sit and your total hours per day will go beyond what you're scheduled to do, maybe consider asking. i have a good relationship with my school, so when they ask me for things occasionally that are less than convenient for me, i try and do them. i look at it as a give and take for all the random class cancellations i get sometimes. if you're really curious what the protocol is consider asking your coordinator or someone who would know what usually happens in this kind of situation.  :)

• 7Suarez7
  • Adventurer

• November 01, 2010, 12:45:06 pm
    • korea
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 04:40:34 pm »
Paid extra for the inconvenience of working just 3 hours a day?

A completely useless response. Trolling at it's finest.

it sounds like they've got discretion over whether to pay you extra or not. i haven't heard of anyone working camp outside regular hours, but if it's only a three hour per day camp and you have a good relationship with your school, i wouldn't ask. do you get to go in late, or will you be desk warming starting at 8:30/9? if you don't have to go in until like 2 or whatever, i definitely wouldn't ask. if you have to desk sit and your total hours per day will go beyond what you're scheduled to do, maybe consider asking. i have a good relationship with my school, so when they ask me for things occasionally that are less than convenient for me, i try and do them. i look at it as a give and take for all the random class cancellations i get sometimes. if you're really curious what the protocol is consider asking your coordinator or someone who would know what usually happens in this kind of situation.  :)

Good point...not sure if i'll be deskwarming or not but i definitely don't wanna offend them by asking for extra pay especially as it seems to be sucha  grey area.

Anyway, think i'll wait it out and see what happens, cheers for the reply!