Read 988 times

Re: US life expectancy falls to lowest level since 1996
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2022, 03:21:46 pm »
That's just your view.
Believing that there are humans who are not susceptible to bias and are infallible is basically akin to believing in magic and requires one to reject everything science has revealed about human behavior, cognition, decision-making, behavior, etc.

Like, it has as much validity as "I can trust these monks and their order to be unbiased and accurate because they have sworn vows to always be honest, fair, and truthful."

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2022, 05:40:20 pm »
Believing that there are humans who are not susceptible to bias and are infallible is basically akin to believing in magic and requires one to reject everything science has revealed about human behavior, cognition, decision-making, behavior, etc.

Like, it has as much validity as "I can trust these monks and their order to be unbiased and accurate because they have sworn vows to always be honest, fair, and truthful."

Lighten up, dude, it was a joke.  You just finished saying they all have their "view", right? 

Time for you take a breather.  But that's just my view.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2022, 06:13:34 pm »
I just looked it up out of curiosity, and according to CDC obesity shortens one's lifespan more than long-term heroin abuse. So if you are obese and reading this, you know what to do.
Find a heroin connection?

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2022, 06:16:20 pm »
Reuters.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2022, 08:25:03 pm »
Find a heroin connection?
The lovers, the dreamers, and me ...

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2022, 08:35:29 am »
Pretty sure TC is that weird Canadian troll guy, so...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/life-expectancy-covid-decrease-1.6326089

COVID-19 blamed for greatest drop in life expectancy in Canada since 1921

• Renma
  • Expert Waygook

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2022, 09:59:43 am »
Pretty sure TC is that weird Canadian

redundant  :undecided:

• chimp
  • Super Waygook

• April 19, 2015, 05:16:31 am
    • Zoo
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2022, 12:37:48 pm »
I think anyone that relies on any single source and doesn't take in news from all across the spectrum is the one that is really getting an inaccurate picture. Take in all the sources, see where they agree, then see where they differ. See which one makes the best case. Maybe both do and you're unsure. Maybe both make a crappy case. Maybe one makes a good case in one area and the other in another. Maybe they're in the middle. Maybe one is outright wrong and the other exactly right. But if you can't handle news outlets from different views than yours, odds are you're prioritizing "makes me feel good" over actual analysis.

I'm gonna have to stop you there and roll my eyes. This is disappointingly mid-witted of you. I mean this 'both sides' pabulum. No serious person takes their information from media "outlets" anymore.

You might be better off reading articles and analyses from the more middling think tanks and institutions, perhaps Carnegie, Brookings, and the like. (n.b. not the Cato Institute, AEI, Mises Foundation etc and other such nakedly ideological institutes). Once you adjust for their establishment biases, what you read is so much more knowledgeable and thought-through compared to what is written by journalists (the declining quality of which already being correctly pointed out). It ain't perfect but it's a step up from CNN and such.

oo oo ahh ahh

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2022, 01:27:13 pm »
I'm gonna have to stop you there and roll my eyes. This is disappointingly mid-witted of you. I mean this 'both sides' pabulum. No serious person takes their information from media "outlets" anymore.
They're perfectly good to get a distilled 'round-up' and to see which way winds are blowing and how things are getting framed. 95% of common discourse is going to center around that anyways. 

• 745sticky
  • The Legend

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2022, 01:32:20 pm »

You might be better off reading articles and analyses from the more middling think tanks and institutions, perhaps Carnegie, Brookings, and the like. (n.b. not the Cato Institute, AEI, Mises Foundation etc and other such nakedly ideological institutes). Once you adjust for their establishment biases, what you read is so much more knowledgeable and thought-through compared to what is written by journalists (the declining quality of which already being correctly pointed out). It ain't perfect but it's a step up from CNN and such.

true, but there's no way the average joe is gonna read that shit, lol