• Bakeacake
  • Super Waygook

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
Re: What sport player outcompetes all?
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2022, 01:14:47 pm »
And for you hockey fans...my biased selection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uYzRGfkcDw

oh man, hockey has to be down to Pavel Datsyk, and maybe Ovechkin just in terms of offence.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2022, 11:46:40 am »
Hard to beat Wayne Gretzky as the most prolific athlete ever. He dominated the NHL and set records that it appears will stand forever.

However, this guy, Ken Dryden, was a monster. I saw the Habs play dozens of times in this era and watched Dryden rip my heart out too darn often. His autobiography is the best sports book I have ever read.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCIEwsLagTM

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2022, 04:39:27 pm »
Hard to beat Wayne Gretzky as the most prolific athlete ever. He dominated the NHL and set records that it appears will stand forever.

However, this guy, Ken Dryden, was a monster. I saw the Habs play dozens of times in this era and watched Dryden rip my heart out too darn often. His autobiography is the best sports book I have ever read.
I am torn here.

Dryden is my first sports hero ever. I in grad school happened to be in Ottawa during a Sens-Leafs playoff game and walked past a huge long line of autograph seekers and asked him "May I simply shake the hand of my first hockey hero?" ... The giant turned... (i at 6'1 am small next to him: he is 6'3, or more in my eyes)... and said "sure" and shook my hand, his bear paw enveloping my hand. I left satisfied, flabbergasted and the crowded line irritated.

That said, Hasek is by far the better goaltender, full stop. (I criticized Hasek for years and years before admitting it. I was no fan. But i was in awe. Like Brady in football. GTFOOH. UGH.)

https://youtu.be/v33scL_htFQ

Gretzky? I played defense and Coffey i tried to comp my game after (tried and failed but he was the idol), but it was clear Gretz was the man. I stopped junior hockey in 1984. I thought Gretzky the greatest EVER until i grew up and read some history. Gee, there was hockey before my time, imagine that, and while one had heard of a Bobby Orr, the biggest revelation was the perfect hockey player according to Scotty Bowman, the greatest coach in hockey history: GORDIE HOWE. Gretzky chose #99 for his jersey to double up Gordie's #9. Gretz had the greater peak during a higher scoring era but Gordie's career was the Himalayas: 20 consecutive years of top-5 scoring. 20 years! No one comes close.

Still... I tell you. That monster Hasek ain't human. I loathe Detroit and never cheered for Buffalo or the Czech Republic (his Olympic victory we try to forget - Gretzky hung his head cuz the coach never gave him a chance, choosing 5 other shooters that failed to beat Hasek).

https://youtu.be/90XXMTJJAMU

Hasek has the best save percentage in NHL history despite a long career, bad defenses in Buffalo, and zero technique: he does nothing right except stop the puck. Imagine a teenage Spiderman or character Gumby in net. That he was. For two decades.

The best 5 hockey players ever: 1. Howe 2. Gretzky 3. Orr 4. Lemieux 5. Hasek .... the first four are chalk (feel free to re-arrange the chairs of the three at the front).

Note:
I have been on HfBoards since '04 (Hockey Futures Board), the by-far #1 hockey discussion board. I, VanIslander, have 30,000+ posts and 5,000+ likes (and likes were only added a couple of years ago). One of my biggest hobbies over the last 20 years in South Korea has been reading 300+ hockey history books, and posting nuggets from them (i bought 180 books in one haul from a landlord in Saskatchewan, i mining through his 1000+ collection to get those i was thirsty to read (this was pre-smartphone: nowadays i can tap into university archives online).

If ever in jail or on the beach with no phone or resources in sight i could easily - easily - make a top-1000 all-time hockey player list, and provide specifics for each. I have been doing all-time drafts on HfBoards for 18 years. If books or history were still popular, i'd cash in, i guess. I lost my desire to publish a long time ago. Paper ain't where it's at anymore.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 09:42:52 pm by VanIslander »
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• Spliced
  • Veteran

• August 05, 2022, 12:15:38 am
    • Jeolla
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2022, 09:57:11 am »
Hasek-suk?

Come on...the guy was over-glorified.  He is/was certainly not on par with the likes of Roy, Osgood, or even Belfour..possibly even Cujo. He is a pitty-case....

Get over the fantasy...because that is all it is.  All he did, was make flopping great again.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 11:55:41 am by Spliced »

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2022, 11:43:13 am »
From VanIslander:

The best 5 hockey players ever: 1. Howe 2. Gretzky 3. Orr 4. Lemieux 5. Hasek .... the first four are chalk (feel free to re-arrange the chairs of the three at the front).

I'm a lucky man. I've seen all 5 play live. Gordie was with the Hartford Whalers in the WHA at the time and played on a line with his 2 sons, Mark and Martie. I first saw Gretzky play in the Quebec City PeeWee hockey tournament during the winter carnival. He was front page news as a 12 year old.

Although Gretzky has the unbeatable records, in my opinion the greatest hockey player ever was Orr.