Read 2514 times

• SUTIIVE
  • Veteran

• July 13, 2010, 11:55:41 am
    • Cheonan, South Korea
Old Topics being reposted. Do you mind?
« on: May 24, 2011, 11:34:26 am »
A post recently got a negative response from someone saying "This topic has been posted many times before, search for it instead of posting it again"...or something like that.  They didn't actually offer any advice to the poster they just scolded him for reposting a common question. 

I don't disagree with the person for being annoyed by repeated questions but I also think that some threads get too long and out of date and I personally don't always like having to trawl through them for advice.  I don't really have a problem with new posts on old subjects because they generate new responses don't they?  I'm kinda new to forums though so maybe I am not up on how these things work. 

Anyway, just thought I'd see what others thought. 
Want your lesson plans to sync automatically to your home and school computers?   Try Dropbox.  For Macs, PCs and mobile devices. You get 2GB for free. Use THIS LINK and get an additional 250 MB! Register with a .edu email address and get even more space.

• Ectofuego
  • Featured Contributor

• November 02, 2010, 09:21:10 am
    • Mars
Re: Old Topics being reposted. Do you mind?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 11:36:52 am »
It doesn't hurt to click the search button before you make a new topic.  I promise   :laugh:
I'm Jason and I approve this message!

• Koradian
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• October 08, 2010, 10:29:15 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 11:37:15 am »
I think people should first search the threads for answers to their questions before posting repeated questions. I would think it's not cheap to run a website and it helps to keep costs down.

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 11:45:56 am »
As far as the poll goes, No and Don't Care are pretty much the same thing.  If you don't care, that means that you don't mind.  So I was a little unsure which one to pick.

• SUTIIVE
  • Veteran

• Cheonan, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 11:59:57 am »
As far as the poll goes, No and Don't Care are pretty much the same thing.  If you don't care, that means that you don't mind.  So I was a little unsure which one to pick.

Well I thought I'd give people the option to show they didn't like my post lol. 
Want your lesson plans to sync automatically to your home and school computers?   Try Dropbox.  For Macs, PCs and mobile devices. You get 2GB for free. Use THIS LINK and get an additional 250 MB! Register with a .edu email address and get even more space.

• SUTIIVE
  • Veteran

• Cheonan, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 12:00:33 pm »
I think people should first search the threads for answers to their questions before posting repeated questions. I would think it's not cheap to run a website and it helps to keep costs down.

Good point.  I didn't really think about that. 

• Sara
  • Featured Contributor

• September 01, 2010, 08:58:35 am
    • Chungcheongbukdo
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 12:23:09 pm »
I agree that sometimes you have to dig a little, but if the information is there, why post again? The old threads generally have a lot of great advice. I always feel it's best to be proactive and try to solve my own problems before asking for the help of others. When you create multiple posts for the same topic, you slow the site and create more work for the moderators.     

• Dyl
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• November 04, 2008, 11:54:50 am
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 12:34:33 pm »
There is also an FAQ which covers common (sensible) questions.
I am no longer a moderator on this site. Please do not contact me regarding subscription issues.

• JuliusCaesar108
  • Featured Contributor

• March 21, 2010, 08:28:10 pm
    • Gangwon-do, Republic of Korea
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 01:56:39 pm »
To add to that, I find that I think it's easier and less time-consuming for the user to use the search feature than to create a new thread.  If you have further questions that haven't been addressed in that topic, then feel free to ask within that thread.  Regardless how recent or old the thread is, it'll get bumped, meaning that people will see it in the Most Recently Updated Topics section.
"In my forty-fifth year I, Julius Caesar, witnessed wonderful and frightening things that were to take place in a time that has not yet taken place."  - The Apocalypse of Julius Caesar

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 02:04:15 pm »
yeah repetitive topics can be annoying, and they are kind of a waste of resources, and more than likely a waste of other people's time

but the search feature is kind crappy, and waygook is often very slow to load.  don't misunderstand, i like this website a lot.  its a testament to its usefulness that so many people are using it that it slows down

my recommendation is to do a google search like this "whatever you are searching for waygook.org"
just put waygook.org in the search with the rest of it, and you'll find what you need a lot faster.  you can usually load google's mirror of waygook, and its usually faster too.

peace on us