Read 8951 times

Re: Biden's student loan forgiveness plan
« Reply #380 on: November 25, 2022, 10:37:04 am »

Very irresponsible of her to use student loans to buy so many pairs of shoes and boots

;D ;D ;D

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • 🇰🇷
« Reply #381 on: November 25, 2022, 11:17:14 am »
People spend student loan money on clothes and shoes. How many pairs of shoes does the average man have? How many pairs of shoes does the average woman have? (I read 19.)

The implication here is that because women spend a lot more on shoes, they are misspending their student loans. Not only is this point irrelevant to gender disparity in student loans, but it's also kinda dumb.
Obviously women spend a lot more on shoes than men (on average). On the other foot, men spend a lot more on luxury cars (and car insurance), beer, computers, etc etc (again, on average). Picking out one gender-specific luxury item and ignoring the rest is pretty bad form. Better to look at spending on non-necessities as a whole rather than on any particular individual one.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #382 on: November 26, 2022, 11:45:00 pm »
Well, maybe. Wages for uni grads are going up. Wages for everyone are going up overall. And it痴 actually 435k. (900k plus 630k divided by two, subtracted from 1.2 mil.) Incidentally, the reason women on average earn less than men over the course of their lifetime is fewer hours worked. They take time off to be a stay at mom to raise the kid(s). Also, more likely to have majored in something with lower earnings potential. Art history or something like that. The highest paying fields - STEM - are mostly men.
as long as the disparity isn't due to discrimination

There's the rub.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #383 on: November 27, 2022, 08:12:26 am »
The Science Around Male Brains vs. Female Brains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLptT1u8LWI

It's politically correct to say men and women are mentally the same, but Stossel lays out science that says otherwise.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #384 on: November 27, 2022, 09:16:39 am »
The nineteen shoes stat is germane to the consideration of how well off the typical American is.

覧覧覧覧覧

Who has more money- the Louis Vuitton head or the Amazon head?

Arnault - 179.8 billion

Bezos - 116.8 billion

Amazon sells so much great stuff. Louis Vuitton sells expensive handbags.

覧覧覧覧覧

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #385 on: November 27, 2022, 09:28:42 am »
典he houses and apartments of America痴 poor are quite spacious by international standards. The typical poor American has considerably more living space than does the average European.
---
The good news is the problem of poverty isn稚 as widespread or as chronic as we池e led to believe. We wind up wasting money when we pretend otherwise.

In addition, we fuel the anti-American propaganda spread by countries such as Russia and China, who accuse the United States of human rights violations. Why? Because, they claim, the millions of Americans classified as poor are enduring a life of desperate poverty - 斗ike a Third World nightmare, as the Russia Today TV network once put it.

https://www.heritage.org/welfare/commentary/what-really-poverty

We do those who experience substantial hardship a real disservice when we spread misinformation that inflates their true numbers, especially in a time of tight budgets. We need to base anti-poverty policy on facts, not on lurid anecdotes and exaggerated rhetoric.
---
典he poorest Americans today live a better life than all but the richest persons a hundred years ago.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #386 on: November 27, 2022, 09:34:30 am »
It is widely acknowledged that the way government measures poverty is deeply flawed.

https://www.heritage.org/poverty-and-inequality/commentary/how-poor-really-are-americas-poor

The majority of those defined as poor by the government do not experience material hardship.

« Reply #387 on: November 27, 2022, 01:31:30 pm »
The nineteen shoes stat is germane to the consideration of how well off the typical American is.

覧覧覧覧覧

Who has more money- the Louis Vuitton head or the Amazon head?

Arnault - 179.8 billion

Bezos - 116.8 billion

Amazon sells so much great stuff. Louis Vuitton sells expensive handbags.

覧覧覧覧覧

That's probably because of generational wealth. LV has been around a lot longer than Amazon.
Beyond Inappropriate

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #388 on: November 27, 2022, 02:59:28 pm »
True, but his wealth went up a ton during the pandemic. Added $100 billion. Sales of luxury goods increased greatly because of all the free 兎mergency money given out. How was it paid for? By not paying for it. Ran up debt for someone else down the road to deal with. Urging fiscal restraint would mean punishment at the polls.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro7lrA781To

• chimp
  • Super Waygook

• April 19, 2015, 05:16:31 am
    • Zoo
« Reply #389 on: November 27, 2022, 04:25:33 pm »
典he houses and apartments of America痴 poor are quite spacious by international standards. The typical poor American has considerably more living space than does the average European.
---
The good news is the problem of poverty isn稚 as widespread or as chronic as we池e led to believe. We wind up wasting money when we pretend otherwise.

In addition, we fuel the anti-American propaganda spread by countries such as Russia and China, who accuse the United States of human rights violations. Why? Because, they claim, the millions of Americans classified as poor are enduring a life of desperate poverty - 斗ike a Third World nightmare, as the Russia Today TV network once put it.

https://www.heritage.org/welfare/commentary/what-really-poverty

We do those who experience substantial hardship a real disservice when we spread misinformation that inflates their true numbers, especially in a time of tight budgets. We need to base anti-poverty policy on facts, not on lurid anecdotes and exaggerated rhetoric.
---
典he poorest Americans today live a better life than all but the richest persons a hundred years ago.

If you're linking the Heritage Foundation you might like the American Enterprise Institute too.

Fantastically long pieces of research about why there is actually no problem with anything, or at least nothing that isn'tbecause of Big Government. Their analysis is beautiful and too pure for this world. Frustration with diminished opportunities and the high cost of non-negotiables like housing, health care, and (for many) student loans? You should know that actually the free market delivers and things are better than in 1980.

These types of arguments are usually examples of being factually correct while missing salient points about the dynamics of a situation. People don't live comparing themselves to people a century ago, they live now and comparisons are often very local (as in nearby and similar people of a similar station). Regardless of whether Gram-gram could enjoy hot water and an indoor bathroom or not in 1897, there is a solid plurality of people here and now who are straight up not happy and will seemingly vote for idiots to get demonstrate their point. It's a visceral and emotional thing, right or wrong and a governing class worth its salt would be on the case.

Right-wing DC think-tanks seem to be more satisfied with smugly pointing out useless stuff like yes things were better 100 years ago, yes planned economies failed, and yes people have smartphones. So you crybabies had better shut your pie-hole because Babushka in rural Russia had a bad time in 1938 and couldn't connect to the internet with her smartphone.

All while ignoring glaringly obvious stuff that should register as a problem for any conservative; i.e  a solid chunk of the labor force is in a situation where even full-time work still leaves them underwater even in the cheapest accomodation in almost all cities now, and its downstream effects on family formation and family stability. How educated people can come with this 'actually everything is fine' stuff is a mystery.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 04:38:27 pm by chimp »
oo oo ahh ahh

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #390 on: Yesterday at 12:03:10 am »
Since you brought it up:

"The current owner of Louis Vuitton is LVMH which is an acronym for Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton SE. The ticker symbol for the publicly owned company is OTC: LVMUY. In 1987 Moet Hennessey, a producer of wines and spirits merged with Louis Vuitton to create LVMH. The chairman of the board for LVMH is Bernard Arnault. Mr. Arnault is one of the richest men in the world with an estimated net worth of $113 billion. Under his leadership of LVMH, the company has grown to become the largest conglomerate of luxury goods. Acquisitions through the years have built a huge empire in the luxury goods niche with ownership of 17 other high-end companies including Louis Vuitton

It is a massive conglomerate that boasts ownership of 6 business groups covering wines and spirits, perfumes and cosmetics, selective retailing, watches and jewelry, fashion and leather goods, and others. Some of the most prestigious luxury companies are owned by LVMH including Givenchy, Louis Vuitton, TAG Heuer, and most recently, Tiffany痴."

"Bernard Arnault, Europe痴 richest man, has announced his LVMH group will contribute $11 million to help fight the wildfires currently ravaging the Amazon rainforest."

"The Fondation Louis Vuitton grounds its commitment to the contemporary arts within an historical perspective. The LVMH Group and its companies opened a new chapter in their history of patronage with the creation of the Fondation. The building itself was inaugurated on 24 October 2014, the result of nearly 25 years of commitment to the arts, culture and heritage." It's worth a long look: https://www.fondationlouisvuitton.fr/en/fondation

Jeff Bezos, on the other hand, "He is also one of the few mega-wealthy individuals who has not signed the Giving Pledge, a promise to give at least half of one痴 wealth away."

I wonder which company treats its employees better.

As for Amazon selling "lots of great things," maybe, but it sells lots of crap as well and has been known to gouge its merchants. Which is, of course, what monopolies like Amazon do.

As for poverty isn't that bad, tell it to the folks standing at just about every major intersection in the mid-sized city I live in (I wonder how they decide who gets to stand where) or the guy living in a tent behind my local Publix.

Statements that the poor are better off than the rich 100 years ago were, which are akin to ones that assert that slaves in the South didn't have it so bad, are not only false from a real-world perspective but also support the idea that to be poor is a sin and that the poor deserve to suffer.

And if things are so great in the US, why would anyone leave to go to Korea and teach for what amounts to little more than peanuts?

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #391 on: Yesterday at 03:14:06 am »
Here痴 a tip, when copy and pasting, only include the most relevant bits, otherwise it痴 the equivalent of a shaggy dog story.

And change the font to differentiate what is from the article and what is from you.

This makes posts more readable, more likely to be read. Makes the forum better.
Everything I copied and pasted was relevant.

The people reading this forum are university graduates, not elementary school students. They don't need things dumbed down for them or put into PPT format.

If my posts are too difficult for you to read, I suggest you learn to better focus your attention. If you need help with that, I'm sure there's a YouTube tutorial or three that could help you.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #392 on: Yesterday at 05:00:03 am »
Jeff Bezos, on the other hand, "He is also one of the few mega-wealthy individuals who has not signed the Giving Pledge, a promise to give at least half of one痴 wealth away."

Huh? In contrast to Arnault, Bezos said he would give away the majority of his wealth. He's also given more to charity than the other guy thus far.

As for Amazon selling "lots of great things," maybe, but it sells lots of crap as well and has been known to gouge its merchants. Which is, of course, what monopolies like Amazon do.

How is Amazon gouging? It's a voluntary exchange. Amazon is not a monopoly. There are loads of places to order online.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:12:47 am by L I »

• T_Rex
  • Super Waygook

• April 23, 2019, 08:10:20 am
« Reply #393 on: Yesterday at 05:04:03 am »
As for poverty isn't that bad, tell it to the folks standing at just about every major intersection in the mid-sized city I live in (I wonder how they decide who gets to stand where) or the guy living in a tent behind my local Publix.

Statements that the poor are better off than the rich 100 years ago were, which are akin to ones that assert that slaves in the South didn't have it so bad, are not only false from a real-world perspective but also support the idea that to be poor is a sin and that the poor deserve to suffer.
A lot of people are poor because of bad decisions (drug use, dropping out of high school, criminal activity, teenage pregnancy) or mental illness.

And if things are so great in the US, why would anyone leave to go to Korea and teach for what amounts to little more than peanuts?
Korea could be the better option for people without marketable skills/qualifications (at least in the short term).

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #394 on: Yesterday at 05:12:00 am »
A lot of people are poor because of bad decisions (drug use, dropping out of high school, criminal activity, teenage pregnancy) or mental illness.

Yes, and keep in mind the guy writing this lives in a city that is poorer than the national average, and thus more crime ridden than the national average. Also apparently lives in an area of the city that is poorer than the city average. I guess that's a cautionary tale - teach English for years in Korea, and you may end up living in a ghetto in your old age.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #395 on: Yesterday at 06:02:37 am »
All while ignoring glaringly obvious stuff that should register as a problem for any conservative; i.e  a solid chunk of the labor force is in a situation where even full-time work still leaves them underwater even in the cheapest accomodation in almost all cities now

Where are you getting that's even true though? In what eco chamber did you hear that?

In California, the country's most populous state, minimum wage is $15 an hour. In about a month it'll be $15.50.

Full time is $2,600 a month.

But minimum wage is for teens starting their first job. Adults should be able to get way more than that, especially now that there is a labor shortage. And if they can't there are generous benefits for those in need.

Most poor people are not working full time.

And very few are homeless. 1 in 500 Americans. People living on the streets don't want to follow rules due to a mental illness and or drug/alcohol addiction.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #396 on: Yesterday at 06:06:45 am »
Huh? In contrast to Arnault, Bezos said he would give away the majority of his wealth. He's also given more to charity than the other guy thus far.

How is Amazon gouging? It's a voluntary exchange. Amazon is not a monopoly. There are loads of places to order online.
Besoz hasn't kept his promise. Why won't he sign the pledge?

"According to what Bezos told CNN, philanthropy 妬s really hard. It certainly seems to be for him. Do recall he was only dragged kicking and screaming to the giving-a-shit game, having spent years accruing billions before it was finally pointed out to him that not having some kind of philanthropic arm looked fairly abysmal. In 2017 Bezos asked Twitter users for ideas on how to help the world 妬n the here and now, before embarking on a truly committed programme of ignoring every single one of them who suggested paying his workers properly and contributing fair tax.

A year later, he actually uttered the words: 典he only way that I can see to deploy this much financial resource is by converting my Amazon winnings into space travel.

I bet Bezos's ex-wife has given away lots more than he has. Percentagewise, I bet I donate more to charity than Bezos.

"Third-party sellers pay Amazon.com Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN) about 30 percent of everything they sell, plus for the privilege of having Amazon handle logistics, storage, shipping and customer service, these sellers may pay an additional amount. But now, some of those retailers are considering looking at alternatives like eBay Inc. (NASDAQ:EBAY) or the online market with Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE:WMT). These two competitors aren稚 as big, but they offer cheaper rates to list on their marketplaces though many alternatives require sellers to handle their own logistics and shipping."

From the horse's mouth:
"My small company handles the Amazon accounts of 18 brands. Some small, some that do millions in Amazon sales. I have been doing this for 7 years.

Amazon has always changed rules and we have always adapted and kept sales going. This year, they have been relentless in doing things to make selling more difficult. Some examples

Restock Limits - they are simply nonsensical and limiting holiday sales to less than half of what they could be. (and have been every year until now) One client sells a tiny item. Sold 1,600 in October. They could sell 16,000 in Nov/Dec but Amazon limits them to 2,500 standard size. Oh--- their IPI is 777.

Suppressing Items for minor back-end adjustments.

Requiring Safety Lab Results for Products (easier if you manufacture the ASIN yourself, impossible otherwise.)

Advertising - They are aggressively pitting seller against seller. Forcing bids up and to the point it barely pays to sell the item. And they take a large cut of the sale if you get it.

FBA Workflow - They have made shipping product to Amazon more difficult. Amazon's own LTL trucks usually don't show up. We have to ship UPS for most things.

Amazon Support Reps harder to reach, and finding one that has the power do do anything has become nearly impossible.

I must be leaving out a bunch. Every day, Amazon hits us with another restriction. One client sells a cologne -- They can sell 1,000 during the holidays. It's their only product. Thankfully, Amazon has set their Standard Restock Limit to 1,400. But they have a new restock limit for Flammables. They are limited to 15 cubic feet. About 36 bottles. So their main income is shot. How many times can we possibly replenish during the holiday crush?

I strongly believe that Amazon is intentionally trying to make it so difficult that sellers will stop using their platform. Why? They own a hundred brands plus their own Amazon Basics. If I am restricted from shipping my Cookware Set, Amazon has plenty of their own cookware sets to take their place.

A broader question is -- Does Amazon even care how well or poorly we do? I handle 18 different stores for my clients -- In all sorts of categories. And the problems span all of them."

"Amazon痴 Seller Forums the place on Amazon痴 website where sellers can go to ask and answer questions that support one another are a monument to frustration. As of writing, the top two posts are 釘ye Everyone! and 的知 leaving too. They are far from the only negative posts. In fact, the vast majority of the conversation is about challenges with the relationship between Amazon and it痴 third party sellers."\

Read what they say here: https://medium.com/public-market/in-their-own-words-why-sellers-are-fed-up-with-amazon-e97da44f7f18

Is Amazon a monopoly?

Sally Hubbard: Yes, monopoly power is defined as the power to control prices or exclude competition. Amazon has the power to do both. But being a monopoly on its own is not illegal under the antitrust laws. Illegal monopolization requires both 1) monopoly power and 2) that the firm acquired, enhanced, or maintained that power by using exclusionary conduct.

Exclusionary conduct includes things like predatory pricing, exclusive agreements, refusing to deal with a company, most-favored nation clauses, designing your product or service in a way that excludes competition, and more types of anticompetitive behavior.

Read more at https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=125180.msg903114;topicseen#quickreply

Reading makes a well-rounded, informed individual. I suggest you do more of it.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #397 on: Yesterday at 06:09:37 am »
If some of you posting here had taken even a rudimentary composition class, you'd know that "a lot" is a cliche, i.e., it's empty of meaning. It does nothing to support your assumptions. It does the opposite.

• T_Rex
  • Super Waygook

• April 23, 2019, 08:10:20 am
« Reply #398 on: Yesterday at 06:28:31 am »
"Gender Studies Grad Demands Blue-Collar Worker Pay Off Her Loans"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIZd4x0mD0I

« Reply #399 on: Yesterday at 07:12:23 am »
In case anyone was in any doubt, L I is a guy who works harder than lazy people, pays his debts and makes good life decisions. He's also healthy. Although he's too modest to come out and say so directly, I think it's important that everyone know these critical facts.

All of you poor, fat losers should take note.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:17:34 am by makebudlightgreatagain »
Who let the dogs out?

- Mitt Romney