Read 5299 times

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
Re: Biden's student loan forgiveness plan
« Reply #260 on: September 14, 2022, 10:15:17 pm »
Nine million in 2020. That's a bit more than "not many."

The nine million stat is social security, not social security disability. There are 17 million vets in the United States. The majority are over 65.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #261 on: September 15, 2022, 02:11:45 am »
The nine million stat is social security, not social security disability. There are 17 million vets in the United States. The majority are over 65.
Disabled veterans may qualify for both Social Security disability benefits and veterans disability compensation.

Qualifying for VA disability benefits with a high disability rating means that you have good odds of qualifying for SSD benefits, if you do not exceed the income limits of SSDI.

However, qualifying for SSD benefits, even though you must be totally disabled, rarely has an impact on whether you will qualify for veterans disability. This is because your disability must be service-related to qualify for VA benefits.

Approximately 645,000 military Veterans received disability insurance benefits in 2020.

Not my original figure but still not "not many."

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #262 on: September 15, 2022, 02:13:07 am »
Teaching is a bit more involved than that.
Showing up one time and taking roll, maybe learning the students' names. Heavy lifting for sure.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #263 on: September 15, 2022, 04:26:09 am »
You think thatís all it takes to be a teacher? Heck no, itís a lot more.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #264 on: September 15, 2022, 05:19:39 am »
Not my original figure but still not "not many."

How many of those? = What percentage of those?

Not many of those = A small percentage of those

« Reply #265 on: September 15, 2022, 07:52:33 am »
Veterans are about 8% of claimants, using that 645,000 figure. Slightly overrepresented compared to the non-veteran population, but not by much.

The majority are not over 65, according to VA data.

https://www.va.gov/vetdata/veteran_population.asp

A majority = the larger number in a group

46% = not a majority
Who let the dogs out?

- Mitt Romney

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #266 on: September 15, 2022, 08:08:56 am »
I read that in a recent article:

Over Half of Veterans are Senior Citizens
According to the report, roughly 90% of veterans were ages 35 and over in 2017 and most (52.8%) were 65 and over, reflecting the fact that the largest share served during the Vietnam War (August 1964 to April 1975).

https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2021/11/how-do-we-support-americas-veterans.html

« Reply #267 on: September 15, 2022, 08:22:24 am »
The VA is using 2020 data, so that probably explains the difference.
Who let the dogs out?

- Mitt Romney

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #268 on: September 15, 2022, 08:31:13 am »
In Korea, not really.

Now teaching in the US, the UK and the like is a whole different ball of wax. Why don't you try it? They're begging for teachers in the US.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #269 on: September 15, 2022, 08:35:01 am »
How many of those? = What percentage of those?

Not many of those = A small percentage of those
Small percentages add up, like how more than one million Americans have died from Covid-19.

Do you think military veterans receiving SS disability are too lazy to work or do they disprove your thesis?

• 745sticky
  • The Legend

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #270 on: September 15, 2022, 08:45:06 am »
Not everyone can get a salary and a free apartment by taking five minutes to whip up a PPT and then operate a computer mouse

Teaching is a bit more involved than that.

Showing up one time and taking roll, maybe learning the students' names. Heavy lifting for sure.

In Korea, not really.

Now teaching in the US, the UK and the like is a whole different ball of wax. Why don't you try it? They're begging for teachers in the US.

i can see where both of you are coming from. it is true that the bare minimum for teaching over here *is* just whipping up a ppt and working out of the book (as you can expect from fresh college grads) and most schools will let you get away with just that. but if you're spending more than a year here and/or have any interest in teaching or are doing it for more than just a paycheck, you really should be putting in a bit more effort than that.

also, afaik the only real difference between us and regular teachers it that regular teachers have a lot more busywork (grading, paperwork, staff meetings etc). of course, this also means they need better time-management skills and in the worst case have to stay after hours or take work home. although that also comes with higher benifits. the reason the US is struggling for teachers is the higher benefits aren't necessarily there (unless you land a good school district) and you have to deal with american students, which are infinitely worse than korean students (if my own behavior in my school days is anything to go by, lol)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 08:47:04 am by 745sticky »

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #271 on: September 15, 2022, 09:10:10 am »
i can see where both of you are coming from. it is true that the bare minimum for teaching over here *is* just whipping up a ppt and working out of the book (as you can expect from fresh college grads) and most schools will let you get away with just that. but if you're spending more than a year here and/or have any interest in teaching or are doing it for more than just a paycheck, you really should be putting in a bit more effort than that.

also, afaik the only real difference between us and regular teachers it that regular teachers have a lot more busywork (grading, paperwork, staff meetings etc). of course, this also means they need better time-management skills and in the worst case have to stay after hours or take work home. although that also comes with higher benifits. the reason the US is struggling for teachers is the higher benefits aren't necessarily there (unless you land a good school district) and you have to deal with american students, which are infinitely worse than korean students (if my own behavior in my school days is anything to go by, lol)
US teachers receive good benefits. The problem is that the pay is commensurate with neither the level of education nor the headaches, stress and workload. Add the conservatives' parental rights schemes and teachers are caught in the cross hairs without the support of administrators or parents.

A recently named teacher of the year was accused by a student about a foot taller than her of smacking her in the face. She was immediately yanked out of the classroom, had her award rescinded, etc. Evidence then showed the student was mad at the teacher and so created a fictional scenario. The teacher, meanwhile, is still in professional limbo.

That's why there's a shortage of teachers in the US, although it's nothing a tough guy like LI and his PPTs can't handle, right?

• Spliced
  • Veteran

• August 05, 2022, 12:15:38 am
    • Jeolla
« Reply #272 on: September 15, 2022, 09:15:27 am »
US teachers receive good benefits. The problem is that the pay is commensurate with neither the level of education nor the headaches, stress and workload. Add the conservatives' parental rights schemes and teachers are caught in the cross hairs without the support of administrators or parents.

A recently named teacher of the year was accused by a student about a foot taller than her of smacking her in the face. She was immediately yanked out of the classroom, had her award rescinded, etc. Evidence then showed the student was mad at the teacher and so created a fictional scenario. The teacher, meanwhile, is still in professional limbo.

That's why there's a shortage of teachers in the US, although it's nothing a tough guy like LI and his PPTs can't handle, right?

No, the problem is, that education in the US is a pile tuna-infused cat crap.  Teachers are trained to perpetuate the stench. 

(as just under 80% of public school teachers in the U.S. are women, the narrative grows even more suspect)

• 745sticky
  • The Legend

• Korea
« Reply #273 on: September 15, 2022, 09:21:09 am »

yeah, thats why i always said id never go into teaching. which makes it kind of odd that im over here, but ive always thought of my time in korea as more of an extended travel/gap year anyways. now that the virus has wound down a bit and travel is opening up, ill probably give it another year so i can get a few more decent vacations in then pack it up and head home.

my dad suggested that i could shoot for a teaching job in the states with my work experience and that theyd probably take me even without full qualifications because of how hard up a lot of places are. but whatever i decide to do, i doubt ill go that route

• Spliced
  • Veteran

• Jeolla
« Reply #274 on: September 15, 2022, 09:26:21 am »
yeah, thats why i always said id never go into teaching. which makes it kind of odd that im over here, but ive always thought of my time in korea as more of an extended travel/gap year anyways. now that the virus has wound down a bit and travel is opening up, ill probably give it another year so i can get a few more decent vacations in then pack it up and head home.

my dad suggested that i could shoot for a teaching job in the states with my work experience and that theyd probably take me even without full qualifications because of how hard up a lot of places are. but whatever i decide to do, i doubt ill go that route

A salad always needs variety .

• 745sticky
  • The Legend

• Korea
« Reply #275 on: September 15, 2022, 09:48:18 am »
A salad always needs variety .

i take it the shaggy dog story book picture is reserved for van?

• Spliced
  • Veteran

• Jeolla
« Reply #276 on: September 15, 2022, 11:23:30 am »
perhaps