Read 983 times

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
What muscles do you work out?
« on: August 18, 2022, 12:22:40 am »
I didn't add "in the gym" because my dad never spent a minute in a gym but had built muscles by doing certain resistant activities (e.g., planting corn crops in his retirement, bringing a fridge and a friggin' deep freeze into the house by himself (such antics led to a nagging  injury, like the hernia he got from belting and dollying then single-handedly manuevering a fridge off his pick-up, onto the balcony and into the house at age 63. Wtf! That injury he lived with for longer than a decade thereafter). There is a limit to physical activity, whatever your situation, and crossing it, you bear the consequences.

I used to work out in the gym my trapezius muscles, and deltoids, cuz they bulged easily unlike my dad's popeye forearms or gym rats' biceps.

I worked out the muscles I was best at.
Some wisely work out to increase their weak areas, to cross train to improve.

I today decades later have lower back pain and inner thigh pain. I can friggin' run kilometers (age doesn't reduce lotion motion if you keep at it) but I can't put on my right sock or carry a heavy box to recycling without cursing in back pain? Agggh.

Any tangential experiences?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 12:40:41 am by VanIslander »
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

Re: What muscles do you work out?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 12:48:34 am »
Whatever muscles are needed for wrestling.
A proud member of The Hateful Eight

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

more
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 02:13:57 am »
Whatever muscles are needed for wrestling.
Core, forearms and thighs. One of the greatest NFL football players ever is a defensive tackle (taking on huge inside offensive linemen), but he - A.D. - uses his wrestling training in his upbringing to outhandle, outpivot, & outleverage opponents.

In high school, wrestlers were the freak outliers in the gym: they couldn't bench or squat as much weight as the football team, but they could run up stairs faster than any of us, carry that damn medicine ball around the school a good minute before us, and they had the thickest neck muscles, looking like a Shrek (we said troll, back in the day), but they also were better at obstable courses and rope climbing.
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• Spliced
  • Veteran

• August 05, 2022, 12:15:38 am
    • Jeolla
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 09:25:21 am »
Core, forearms and thighs. One of the greatest NFL football players ever is a defensive tackle (taking on huge inside offensive linemen), but he - A.D. - uses his wrestling training in his upbringing to outhandle, outpivot, & outleverage opponents.

In high school, wrestlers were the freak outliers in the gym: they couldn't bench or squat as much weight as the football team, but they could run up stairs faster than any of us, carry that damn medicine ball around the school a good minute before us, and they had the thickest neck muscles, looking like a Shrek (we said troll, back in the day), but they also were better at obstable courses and rope climbing.

Nah, seems like you spend more time working out the hubris that laces your mouth...metaphorica lly speaking.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 06:14:36 am »
My brain.

• Adel
  • The Legend

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 06:59:28 am »
I tend to limit isolating muscle groups. Full body exercises such as the clean and press are preferred. It's just very time efficient.

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 06:04:54 pm »

What were their ring names, may I ask?

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

more
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 09:42:18 pm »
What were their ring names, may I ask?
How is this even funny? High school wrestling programs are not WWE, WWF or other "entertainment" (the E in WWE), but Olympic Greco-roman style.

I'm flabbergasted. "Billy Herrington", in argumentation there is what's called the charity principle of interpretation (to avoid sophistry). But I am having a hard time interpreting that comment in any way.

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2022, 10:35:22 pm »
Sorry, man. I thought it might be The Cat's Meow.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

more
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2022, 11:51:27 am »
I was a newspaper reporter before teaching and at the airport in Calgary my blue eyes went wide (or my pupils dialated) when a woman working there felt comfortable enough to say to me "There are too many of them around here, eh?" pointing her pinky finger at the only two black people in sight. I looked at her incredulously, and walked away. (I so wish i had gone off on her. I was twisted in a knot for days over that.)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 11:53:16 am by VanIslander »

• Spliced
  • Veteran

• Jeolla
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2022, 11:53:08 am »
I was a newspaper reporter before teaching and at the airport in Calgary my blue eyes went wide (or my pupils dialated) when a woman working there felt comfortable enough to say to me "There are too many of them around here, eh?" pointing her pinky finger at the only two black people in sight. I looked at her incredulously, and walked away. (I so wish i had gone off on her. I was twisted in a knot for days over that)

...and?  What happened next?

Anyway, I met a rather proud, redundant , often times banal ,virtue-signaling guy from the exotic land of Ca-na-da once.  His ego had its own zip code. He always had to remind folks, constantly, of his past endeavors. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 11:59:13 am by Spliced »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

more
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2022, 11:58:20 am »
...and?  What happened next?
I wrote with extra gusto an editorial about tolerance and forgiveness, regarding a fight between an Iranian kid and two other kids that resulted in blood, tears and a broken window downtown (in a town in Northern Alberta - i working there for a few months).

• Spliced
  • Veteran

• Jeolla
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2022, 12:00:36 pm »
I wrote with extra gusto an editorial about tolerance and forgiveness, regarding a fight between an Iranian kid and two other kids that resulted in blood, tears and a broken window downtown (in a town in Northern Alberta - i working there for a few months).

I wonder if you would ever consider writing, if venturing back into journalism, about Stockholm Syndrome. 

It's quite interesting. 

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

more
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2022, 12:08:16 pm »
Anyway, I met a rather proud, redundant , often times banal ,virtue-signaling guy from the exotic land of Ca-na-da once.  His ego had its own zip code. He always had to remind folks, constantly, of his past endeavors. 
"Spliced"? K.

I see you added the above to your original post.

Every negative description you make, k. But redundant my life ain't. The moment i think i'm redundant, i'm out of the room. I make a difference.

When some people say "I want to make a diiference" in job interviews they don't realize for others it's truly in their bones, and they mean it in everything they do.

"Good enough"? GTFOOH.

We all have our own perspectives. All's good Spliced.

Cut from a different cloth is not a bad thing. But it is not the same.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 12:18:13 pm by VanIslander »

• Spliced
  • Veteran

• Jeolla
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2022, 12:22:58 pm »
"Spliced"? K.

I see you added the above to your original post.

Every negative description you make, k. But redundant my life ain't. The moment i think i'm redundant, i'm out of the room. I make a difference.

When some people say "I want to make a diiference" in job interviews they don't realize for others it's truly in their bones, and they mean it in everything they do.

"Good enough"? GTFOOH.

We all have our own perspectives. All's good Spliced.

Cut from a different cloth is not a bad thing. But it is not the same.

Interesting...I wrote...

"OK, ,OK, fair enough.  I see your point.  I apologize"

It mysteriously disappeared. 

« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 12:25:58 pm by Spliced »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

more
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2022, 12:31:29 pm »
I've spent the last 20 years teaching in South Korea. Nobody says sorry here. I, a Canadian, memorized "me-yeon humnida" (sorry) before coming here and have only heard the word once: one of the three times a Korean has crashed their car into my jeep's bumper (i call my jeep "the tank", as it gets only scratches but all three collisions crushed front ends of the perpetrators.

Anyways, the point is: it is a moment of great shame to apologize here, and i was trying to SAVE YOU feeling ashamed, by highlighting my point in my point and adding: "All's good Spliced". Which i did.

In hindsight, yeah, saying sorry ain't a big thing  back home and some other countries.

• Spliced
  • Veteran

• Jeolla
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2022, 12:41:22 pm »
I've spent the last 20 years teaching in South Korea. Nobody says sorry here. I, a Canadian, memorized "me-yeon humnida" (sorry) before coming here and have only heard the word once: one of the three times a Korean has crashed their car into my jeep's bumper (i call my jeep "the tank", as it gets only scratches but all three collisions crushed front ends of the perpetrators.

Anyways, the point is: it is a moment of great shame to apologize here, and i was trying to SAVE YOU feeling ashamed, by highlighting my point in my point and adding: "All's good Spliced". Which i did.

In hindsight, yeah, saying sorry ain't a big thing  back home and some other countries.

Wow...now this is taking an over-arching theme from "What is a Woman?"

I have no shame in reflecting and offering a a warranted apology.   I am not Korean.

Be it as it may, I'll leave this one for you. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 12:45:02 pm by Spliced »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

more
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2022, 12:47:51 pm »
Wow...now this is taking an over-arching theme from "What is a Woman?"
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Is this a thread at Waygook that i missed? Is it a movie? A book? *shrug*

I have spent the last 20 years overseas. Yet, I have continually BUT SELECTIVELY stayed in touch with what's going on back home.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 12:50:23 pm by VanIslander »

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2022, 05:52:15 pm »
Maybe someone can write a new story on weight lifting or wrestling. Would be quite something.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

more
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2022, 09:24:23 pm »
Maybe someone can write a new story on weight lifting or wrestling. Would be quite something.
This is the first time ever i have seen " weight lifting". The t and the l on the keyboard is far from the space bar, so you didn't make a typo.

Weight lifting.

Weightlifting and wrestling were huge programs at my high school, though I was a football, soccer and track & field player. We met often in the gym at the weights in the mezzanine.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 09:27:08 pm by VanIslander »