Read 343 times

• Rye
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2022, 03:43:11 pm
    • A side street near Cheongju
Negligence on the road now causes more deaths than alcohol
« on: August 01, 2022, 04:10:53 pm »
Not surprised at all. Too many drivers can't seem to focus on what's going on around them, looking everywhere but the road and their surroundings. I posted a few months back about that young woman taking selfies while driving. Now shit driving has finally been picked up by the media. People around here who drive (myself included) have been observing this for some time...so many people texting, holding a phone and having a conversation, watching a bit of TV, or just having too much of a distracting convo with others in the car...then the sudden lane change because they weren't watching the road.

Some people reckon driving has got better over the years, but I'm thinking the opposite. I never had a problem until  the last decade or so. Now it's a daily event.

Anyway, have a read if you have time. I think the first guy burnt his willy  ;D

https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20220801000573

Wish Marti was still around to try and argue a positive spin for this one.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 04:12:45 pm by Rye »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
Re: Negligence on the road now causes more deaths than alcohol
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 01:35:44 am »
Is oblivious nature worse than "the most destructive force"?

If so, remember -when behind the wheel - to keep your eyes on the road and your left hand at twelve o'clock while your right hand grips your whiskey glass. (For clarity sake: it would be absurd.)

I have seen three fatal car accidents in my life and two involved drinking and one speeding. That said, several fender benders have resulted from

NOT*DOING*A*FRIGGIN*SHOULDER*CHECK! (I guess that's textbook negligence and are accidents.)
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 03:42:03 am »
One good reason to take public transportation whenever possible and to cycle more.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 07:11:59 am »
Koreans have little common sense when driving, it's a mystery that they're able to pass their driving test.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 09:40:42 am »
Koreans have little common sense when driving, it's a mystery that they're able to pass their driving test.
I have taught from a True Stories book of newspaper stories in which a poor, near-literate countryside older Korean woman wanted to get her driver's license to drive her produce to the 5-day market, and she failed a driver's test over 300 times! When she eventually passed the test, and after the news of it was known, Hyundai gave her a new car.
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 12:45:39 pm »
One good reason to take public transportation whenever possible and to cycle more.

Yeah cycling is definitely safer :/

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 01:55:56 am »
Yeah cycling is definitely safer :/
Healthier too!