Read 413 times

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
NO MORNINGS.

That usually means no kindy or adult unless afternoon kindy and late night adult.

The first of many on THIS thread, defined by those who appreciate the aforementioned (this marginally meets the brief, being a bit longer day and more urban, but still within the parameters of okay):

Quote from: Dave's ESLCAFE
Sep-16 Full Time, Daegu, Gyeongsangdo (Early Sep 2022)
- Number of Openings: 1
- Starting date: Early Sep  2022
- Age group: Elem
- Salary: 2.2M Negotiable.
- Working hours: MF3pm~10pm
-  Medical Insurance / Pension / Severance / Housing / Airfare negotiable
- E2 & F visa holders
More to come...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 03:02:43 am by VanIslander »
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

more
Tips:

1. Always VISIT the academy AND accommodations before accepting; this has served me well (e.g., wtf? Shower on the porch? Go to town to wash my clothes? Mold up the walls?);

2. Interview the last waygook or at least meet in person your new hagwon boss and trust your spidey sense (i have had great jobs since '06 with this method: i stupidly jumped blind into my first position in '02, well, near blind, i did interview by phone that famous guy who had my Geoje job before me, he writing a book about Korea, going to China therafter, and jumping off a 4-floor roof to end his story (if you know the book or Dave's ESL Cafe at the time, you know who S.M. is, nothing I said disagrees with the record, though I am not sure if he jumped or was pushed), anyways, i luckily got a good gig there; i have heard so many horror hagwsn stories since being here that i have repratedly been extra careful in terms if accepting job offers. Pay to go there to see. You may be thankful you did.

3. If you don't want to be at a workplace for 10+ hours a day then avoid split shift POTENTIAL positions (e.g., they teach morning kindy and/or adults, and evening high school and/or adults. I ask in interview: when do you open your doors? .... i love teaching, but can't imagine being high motor on my game more than 6 hours a day, usually. That means 3-9pm  or 4-10pm usually. I'll red line occasionally an hour more or less, but deskwarming kills the soul imo, and i can't do split shifts. If you can, good on ya, i don't get it. Fine.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 03:38:26 am by VanIslander »
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

Thank you, Sir!

I prefer working in the mornings ~ about 2 or 3 pm, but will absolutely not do any kind of Kindy work... so public school it is.

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
Daegu is neither coastal nor a small town.
''Jealous of those who make more, have a 2 bedroom apartment to live in, ride a GIANT mountain bike, and drive a car that gets them around?  Well, I can't help myself.  It's too bad you are jealous of me for you having less. I am at least able to say I am living better than most ESLers '' hangook77

i did interview by phone that famous guy who had my Geoje job before me, he writing a book about Korea, going to China therafter, and jumping off a 4-floor roof to end his story (if you know the book or Dave's ESL Cafe at the time, you know who S.M. is, nothing I said disagrees with the record, though I am not sure if he jumped or was pushed), anyways, i luckily got a good gig there; i have heard so many horror hagwsn stories since being here that i have repratedly been extra careful in terms if accepting job offers. Pay to go there to see. You may be thankful you did.

Doesn't seem like he was pushed:

https://chinavlog.typepad.com/china_video_blog/2006/05/shawns_final_st.html

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

more
Doesn't seem like he was pushed:

https://chinavlog.typepad.com/china_video_blog/2006/05/shawns_final_st.html
Orkblut, i read every word, and it explains a lot. Thank you. (Aside: Dang, i forgot how detailed and long blogs used to be before smartphones and contemporary social media.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

more
Aug-17 Full Time, Yeosu, Jeollado (Late Aug 2022)
- Number of Openings: 1
- Starting date: Late Aug 2022
- Age group: Elem Middle
- Salary: 2.2M
- Working hours: MF 2pm~9pm
- Medical Insurance / Pension / Severance / Housing / Airfare Negotiable.
- Preferable type of teacher: E2 visa holders
Another tangentially-applicable option.

Yeosu is twice as big as Seogwipo, though still a small city, it ain't a town. Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong, Geochang, Wando, Gangneung, Namhae, Jindo, Sokcho, even Suncheon, Naju or Sinan appeals.

One has to dig through a mountain of offers to find one's fit. Whatever your criteria, stick to it, and take your time. Then a midnight run or a regrettable year ain't likely in the cards.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 02:59:26 am by VanIslander »