Read 1568 times

• 745sticky
  • The Legend

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
Re: Paying this websites subscription fee is impossible
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2022, 01:45:29 pm »
Maybe they'll welcome you to jump out a window, huh?

this is the first decent comeback i've ever seen out of hangook. good job!

• Bakeacake
  • Super Waygook

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2022, 03:03:48 pm »
F%*@, he only got muted...what a joke.

you cant get banned if you pay the subscription fee.

• Augustiner
  • Expert Waygook

• December 06, 2021, 01:18:06 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2022, 03:43:49 pm »
This is hangooks genius (double digit IQ) attempt to muddy the waters over his true identity on the other website lmao.

I donít think he realizes heís only confirming his identity by continuing to address it.  Poor guy. Heís in way over his head. 

And if multiple threats of violence donít get you banned, I really want to know what the hell Marti did. 

• Renma
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2022, 03:55:04 pm »
From what I gather marty referenced the P word while feuding with Adel and Van got very upset about that? Probably it's a case of a level 3 mod happening to catch the user reports regarding Marty, whereas Van's scorched earth deletions prevented Hangook from ever being taken to task.

• Adel
  • The Legend

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2022, 04:01:48 pm »
No, it was the constant harassment, from my reading. As near I can tell Marti didn't use the P word to refer to me. It was  more blatant disregard for context in which I had used it 7 years ago without referencing anyone individually or specifically.
Then again it may have been deleted before I read it.

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2022, 04:05:07 pm »
Interesting. I wonder if the mods are worried about a response from law enforcement if the word gets thrown around too much.
A proud member of The Hateful Eight

• Bakeacake
  • Super Waygook

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2022, 04:07:41 pm »
Interesting. I wonder if the mods are worried about a response from law enforcement if the word gets thrown around too much.

they arent

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2022, 04:23:50 pm »
you cant get banned if you pay the subscription fee.

There's nothing about that in the TOS.

• Adel
  • The Legend

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2022, 04:27:48 pm »
For the record despite complaining about Marti I never envisaged he would be banned. It was more about the gamesmanship in hoping a warning would piss him off. I honestly miss the bloke already. 

• Renma
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2022, 04:37:08 pm »

Maybe it was because I called the Unification Church in the Abe shooting a "cult". Maybe it's because I made that comment about [MOD EDIT HERE. DO NOT CITE ALREADY DECLARED OFFENSIVE CONTENT (you identifying someone as a pedophile). THAT IS NOT ALLOWED ON ANY SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORM] Who knows?  Anyways, I'm rambling as usual.

"Bigotry" was a slur leveled on this page. That doesn't cross the line (unless harped on repeatedly to the point of harassment). But "pedophile" crosses the line. This is clear. No MOD disagrees.

I interpreted this as meaning that's what got Marty banned. And I assume WheninRome was for provoking Davey, gagevt and Taeyang.

Again, he deletes any evidence of hangook blasting off the pedo accusations (projections) so hangook never got banned for that offense.

• Adel
  • The Legend

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2022, 04:49:47 pm »
In fairness to the moderators this type of corporate culture is typical for low level employees, so after living in Korea for some time one might recognise something lesser than that  as normal. However, If I were a payed subscriber I'd expect a higher level of accountability.   

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2022, 07:48:04 pm »
Yeah, agreed! I never got into much at all with Marti, except for a few bouts of cursing, but I'm the same...miss him being around...just his energy and quick wit at times, plus his over-reactions to innocent statements. Mostly all good fun. The old story; 'don't know what you had until it's gone'. Love him or not, he was a gem.

Whoa, slow down there, pard'ner!

As I have stated before, I don't really think a forum poplulated by (putative) adults really needs moderators running around warning people, locking threads and banning people.  But we post here under the TOS, so it is what it is.  I just want the moderation to be balanced, non-capricious and not play favorites, which, sadly, is not the case.  IMO, the only things to ban people for are threats of physical attack and doxxing.

I kinda doubt that DeMartino really did anything worthy of banning, but "gem"?  Hardly.

He may have occasionally been witty, sometimes contributed usefully to a thread, but he had over 10,000 posts--that would be the case just by the law of averages.  Monkeys at typewriters might not come up with the works of Shakespeare, but they could probably achieve a record approaching DeMartino's.

For 9,000+ of them, he was an insufferable, insulting, dishonest know-it-all, utterly incapable of self-awareness, whose main contrubtion to most any thread was to derail it.  I don't know what he is like IRL, but he exemplifies to me some of the worst traits of a poster on internet forums.

And, again, I doubt he did anything deserving of a total ban.  Warning and muting--absolutely, and literally a thousand times.  Yet I can only remember one time he was ever warned (admittedly, my memory is imperfect) and that is a real problem.  But that ain't his fault. So, maybe his Mrs Pentherby feels went to his head and he actually did cross the line. 

He certainly didn't shy away from taking up controversial--no, make that contrarian--positions, largely, I suspect, for the attention it got him.  And I certainly played to that.

He said more than once that he liked a good argument.  The problem is he never engaged in "good" argument, and this is why I think he was not so much a gem as a lump of coprolite.

His manner of "debate" was relentlessly, egregiously, dishonest: from ridiculous strawmen, absurd analogies, shifting goalposts (hell, even obvious flip-flops), word salads, shaded facts (and lies) to just straight-up name-calling and abuse, no tactic, no logical violation was beneath him.

I don't know, and don't care, what his ban will do to the hit stats on this website, but its intellectual honesty level will go through the roof.

• Augustiner
  • Expert Waygook

• Anyang
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2022, 07:25:52 am »
Whoa, slow down there, pard'ner!

As I have stated before, I don't really think a forum poplulated by (putative) adults really needs moderators running around warning people, locking threads and banning people.  But we post here under the TOS, so it is what it is.  I just want the moderation to be balanced, non-capricious and not play favorites, which, sadly, is not the case.  IMO, the only things to ban people for are threats of physical attack and doxxing.

I kinda doubt that DeMartino really did anything worthy of banning, but "gem"?  Hardly.

He may have occasionally been witty, sometimes contributed usefully to a thread, but he had over 10,000 posts--that would be the case just by the law of averages.  Monkeys at typewriters might not come up with the works of Shakespeare, but they could probably achieve a record approaching DeMartino's.

For 9,000+ of them, he was an insufferable, insulting, dishonest know-it-all, utterly incapable of self-awareness, whose main contrubtion to most any thread was to derail it.  I don't know what he is like IRL, but he exemplifies to me some of the worst traits of a poster on internet forums.

And, again, I doubt he did anything deserving of a total ban.  Warning and muting--absolutely, and literally a thousand times.  Yet I can only remember one time he was ever warned (admittedly, my memory is imperfect) and that is a real problem.  But that ain't his fault. So, maybe his Mrs Pentherby feels went to his head and he actually did cross the line. 

He certainly didn't shy away from taking up controversial--no, make that contrarian--positions, largely, I suspect, for the attention it got him.  And I certainly played to that.

He said more than once that he liked a good argument.  The problem is he never engaged in "good" argument, and this is why I think he was not so much a gem as a lump of coprolite.

His manner of "debate" was relentlessly, egregiously, dishonest: from ridiculous strawmen, absurd analogies, shifting goalposts (hell, even obvious flip-flops), word salads, shaded facts (and lies) to just straight-up name-calling and abuse, no tactic, no logical violation was beneath him.

I don't know, and don't care, what his ban will do to the hit stats on this website, but its intellectual honesty level will go through the roof.

I'm on the same page.  I think Martino is smart and capable of funny or clever posts.  But, for the most part he chose not to go down that route and just went on derailing threads.  He came here looking to go on the attack, even if he had to twist people's words and be patently dishonest in doing so.  He may have liked a good argument, but that's not what he engaged in.  I added him to my ignore list near the end of his run and it made a huge difference to how friendly and upbeat this place came across. 

• 745sticky
  • The Legend

• Korea
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2022, 07:40:26 am »
in fairness to marti, he actually seemed to be cooling down a bit. ofc he was at it on certain threads but i do recall him starting/contributing to a number of innocent enough discussion threads on more lighthearted topics.

• 745sticky
  • The Legend

• Korea
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2022, 07:44:41 am »
I interpreted this as meaning that's what got Marty banned.

i don't think marti ever accused anyone of being that though, he was sounding off about adel supposedly using the word to refer to k-pop fans. then again maybe i missed it.

• Augustiner
  • Expert Waygook

• Anyang
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2022, 07:47:15 am »
in fairness to marti, he actually seemed to be cooling down a bit. ofc he was at it on certain threads but i do recall him starting/contributing to a number of innocent enough discussion threads on more lighthearted topics.

I think in some of those threads near the end he caught a glimpse of how out of control and worked up he was most of the time.  I don't know how long he could've kept up the new, take a breath and calm down Marti, look.  He has tried it before, but always reverted back to raging Marti.  It's too bad, because he is obviously a bright guy who can write well.  Anyways, 15 000 posts is a record that likely won't be topped. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 07:58:20 am by Augustiner »

• Adel
  • The Legend

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2022, 07:48:49 am »
I didn't read much evidence of smart and clever posts. I will say he was one of most easily baited posters on this forum with his only real peer in that department that rather sensitive soul who was muted yesterday.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 09:22:08 am by Adel »

• 745sticky
  • The Legend

• Korea
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2022, 07:51:27 am »
Anyways, 15 000 posts is a record that likely won't be topped. 

true. i remember during election season i was definitely up there with him in argumentativeness, but i don't have the energy or tenacity to keep that going year-round... of course i still got into it occasionally but mostly petered out after the election was over.

• Adel
  • The Legend

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2022, 07:57:46 am »
i don't think marti ever accused anyone of being that though, he was sounding off about adel supposedly using the word to refer to k-pop fans. then again maybe i missed it.

I think you are referring to that post of mine that he dug from 2015 but I'm not sure because I only saw his post after it was edited. Even then it wasn't an accurate summation of the post.  The focus was really on the popularity and relative sizes of the female antonymy among pop divas at the time and the need for it catch on in Korea. It's something I've noticed since I've returned to Australia. That is, the amount of time young ladies spend doing booty work, ie. squats, dead lifts and pelvic thrust type work to develop enormous glutes.
Marti was seldom an honest poster. He was constantly about point scoring and winning, in his mind at least.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 08:02:22 am by Adel »

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2022, 08:28:30 am »
I donít think he realizes heís only confirming his identity by continuing to address it.  Poor guy. Heís in way over his head. 

And if multiple threats of violence donít get you banned, I really want to know what the hell Marti did. 

A certain DEEPLY closeted aristocratic poster threatened to break my jaw (lol) and never even got a mute or warning.
Does your wife submit to you?