Read 6679 times

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
Re: EPIK wage increase
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2022, 10:48:56 am »
Thailand is next on my list after China.

That or making my way back to Korea (Jeju).

« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2022, 11:32:21 am »
China is great and all, but it's basically impossible to it make work with the airfares. If schools can afford to reimburse you for $10,000 in airfare, they can afford to hire someone already in-country.
Beyond Inappropriate

« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2022, 12:13:27 pm »
If I was a rich kid, I'd be in Thailand. Unfortunately I gotta work, though. Such is life. I just don't feel like life in Korea is so good that it's worth working for free. It's not bad, just not that great.

Korea looks much better on TV and in dramas than in real life to be honest >.<
However, it's mostly the relationships that I've built over the years that are keeping me here.
While I taught adult ESL back home, I really enjoy teaching middle school here, my students and my co-workers have been amazing.
After almost 4 years, a few of the co-workers have become really good friends.   And I gained a whole Korean family full of aunts and uncles through marriage.
However, the outside world is really underwhelming... every part of the country just seems the same with the same concrete apartments ... Jeju, with its stone statues and orange trees and the big open sea is probably my favorite place in Korea.

« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2022, 12:32:53 pm »
I don't really watch Korean dramas that much, but do people just not understand how idealized they are? Were people in the 1990s moving to New York because of the popularity of Friends? I seem to recall a lot of criticism of how their lifestyles would have been impossible with the incomes they had. Do 20-somethings really look at these dramas like they're documentaries?
Beyond Inappropriate

« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2022, 12:53:15 pm »
People have always been attracted to visit places from the way they're depicted in fiction, though deciding to live and work in a place solely because of that strikes me as a rather dumb move.

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2022, 01:24:02 pm »
If this is how you calculate your paycheck, for comparison's sake, there is not a single person in the public school system on 2.1.

Uh yes.  Seoul lowest pay grade is 1.8 level 3.  They never raised it.  But they won't hire level 3 anymore.  So next level is 2.0 million.  Many other Metro cities are next level 2.1 and some rural provinces are next level 2.2.  (I am referring to level 2 since 3 is not hired anymore.  Though I was hired as a level 3 years ago.  I made 1.8 million plus 100k for being in a rural province.  I had to wait second year to get to 2.1.) 

Many Metro cities cap out at 2.4 and some cap out at 2.5.  Rural caps out at 2.7 plus rural allowance and multiple school allowances.  But to get to that level  still take 5 years or so.  It's all online to be found. 
745sticky, Augustiner, Bakeacake, D.L.Orean, Lazio, Mithras, Renma, Rye are still blocked and I can't see them.

• D.L.Orean
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2022, 01:26:23 pm »
Uh yes.  Seoul lowest pay grade is 1.8 level 3.  They never raised it.  But they won't hire level 3 anymore.  So next level is 2.0 million.  Many other Metro cities are next level 2.1 and some rural provinces are next level 2.2.  (I am referring to level 2 since 3 is not hired anymore.  Though I was hired as a level 3 years ago.  I made 1.8 million plus 100k for being in a rural province.  I had to wait second year to get to 2.1.) 

Many Metro cities cap out at 2.4 and some cap out at 2.5.  Rural caps out at 2.7 plus rural allowance and multiple school allowances.  But to get to that level  still take 5 years or so.  It's all online to be found.

For the sake of comparison, if you add all the bonuses and housing allowance to your pay, you should add it to everyone's. Be consistent.

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2022, 01:31:58 pm »
For the sake of comparison, if you add all the bonuses and housing allowance to your pay, you should add it to everyone's. Be consistent.

I excluded the housing.  You do get renewal allowance but not in Seoul.  They stopped giving it a few years ago just because they can (dick move on their part).  So, a 2 million won salary at SMOE is a 2 million won salary.  But for all others renewal allowance of 2 million won is equal to 166,666 won a month extra onto the pay.  So, 2.1 plus this in some metro cities is 2.26 million won a month.  Usually most metropolitan cities don't do multiple schools and get multiple allowance. 
745sticky, Augustiner, Bakeacake, D.L.Orean, Lazio, Mithras, Renma, Rye are still blocked and I can't see them.

« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2022, 01:53:09 pm »
I don't really watch Korean dramas that much, but do people just not understand how idealized they are? Were people in the 1990s moving to New York because of the popularity of Friends? I seem to recall a lot of criticism of how their lifestyles would have been impossible with the incomes they had. Do 20-somethings really look at these dramas like they're documentaries?

Not really 20 years olds, but a lot of 12 ~ 17 years old certainly do this, and idealize living in Japan and Korea because of such dramas. For a lot of people, their brains don't properly mature until they are well into their mid 20's , probably around 25 years old. It doesn't help with a bunch of YouTubers hyping up living in Asian for views and sugar coating everything. For Korea, YouTubers like Simon and Martina and probably Megan Bowen and a bunch of girls with their K-Oppar... could be the reason for more of those kinds of people coming in as well...

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2022, 01:56:30 pm »
Not really 20 years olds, but a lot of 12 ~ 17 years old certainly do this, and idealize living in Japan and Korea because of such dramas. For a lot of people, their brains don't properly mature until they are well into their mid 20's , probably around 25 years old. It doesn't help with a bunch of YouTubers hyping up living in Asian for views and sugar coating everything. For Korea, YouTubers like Simon and Martina and probably Megan Bowen and a bunch of girls with their K-Oppar... could be the reason for more of those kinds of people coming in as well...

You must anonymously write comments under their videos saying how Korea really is.  So, that way, those who read the fine print, won't fall for a scam.  I do on a few videos myself.  Just to bring it down a notch.  Also, tell them about China, etc too. 

« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2022, 02:29:48 pm »
You must anonymously write comments under their videos saying how Korea really is.  So, that way, those who read the fine print, won't fall for a scam.  I do on a few videos myself.  Just to bring it down a notch.  Also, tell them about China, etc too.

Hangook77, I'm new on this board, but I have to say this is a very ironic comment considering you have a very similar view of China. Have you ever taught in China? I doubt that writing YouTube comments is going to sway anyone. I get that a lot of the criticisms on this board and the mainstream media are overblown worst case scenarios that most people never encounter but it's not the fairyland you think it is.
Beyond Inappropriate

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2022, 02:34:47 pm »
Hangook77, I'm new on this board, but I have to say this is a very ironic comment considering you have a very similar view of China. Have you ever taught in China? I doubt that writing YouTube comments is going to sway anyone. I get that a lot of the criticisms on this board and the mainstream media are overblown worst case scenarios that most people never encounter but it's not the fairyland you think it is.

Oh no,  I never said it was.  Pre covid many were going over for better pay and more relaxed contracts.  Many friends had gone over and said they liked it.  Of course the air pollution and some spitting and whatnot not so great.  The pay is good and once covid is done if the pay stays high or only drops a bit it will be a place to go for many.  Would you prefer 2 million won a month or 4 million won a month and up?  That was my whole point.  For now, people most likely will have to stick with Korea till everything calms down. 

« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2022, 02:43:47 pm »
Oh no,  I never said it was.  Pre covid many were going over for better pay and more relaxed contracts.  Many friends had gone over and said they liked it.  Of course the air pollution and some spitting and whatnot not so great.  The pay is good and once covid is done if the pay stays high or only drops a bit it will be a place to go for many.  Would you prefer 2 million won a month or 4 million won a month and up?  That was my whole point.  For now, people most likely will have to stick with Korea till everything calms down.

Ask your friends in China when they think Covid restrictions will be done. Their answers might surprise you. The government is not working on an exit strategy from Zero Covid. The policy is probably going to stay until it just stops working.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 02:48:22 pm by Billy Herrington »
Beyond Inappropriate

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2022, 03:00:08 pm »
Ask your friends in China when they think Covid restrictions will be done. Their answers might surprise you. The government is not working on an exit strategy from Zero Covid. The policy is probably going to stay until it just stops working.

Well, obviously not now.  You go once covid is done.  Can I guess until the party re election this fall and it will gradually taper off?  2023 sometime?  I think some have left for now.  Will probably go back once it's done. 

« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2022, 03:03:50 pm »
The Chinese government has never defined when Covid will be considered "done." Do you get this? The French embassy in China predicts that will take at least 3-5 years.
Beyond Inappropriate

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2022, 03:07:50 pm »
The Chinese government has never defined when Covid will be considered "done." Do you get this? The French embassy in China predicts that will take at least 3-5 years.

Party election this fall, keep everything in place.  Don't rock the boat.  After that may well be different.  Everything is getting back to normal elsewhere.  I will assume by 2023 or 2024 it will be in China too.  Most likely by sometime in 2023.  Of course there are always slim chances of otherwise.  I would not go in 2022.

« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2022, 03:10:17 pm »
You sure you haven't been binging hard on C-dramas?
Beyond Inappropriate

• Bakeacake
  • Expert Waygook

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2022, 05:05:29 pm »
Of course the air pollution and some spitting and whatnot not so great. 

buddy,  the air pollution and the spitting id say most people can deal with fine.  considering were all in korea...

again,  ITS THE CULTURAL GENOCIDE AND LACK OF HUMAN RIGHTS...

« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2022, 05:31:38 pm »
Don't worry. I really don't think he's going to go to China. It's fine. It's not for everyone. I don't know what the guy's motive is.
Beyond Inappropriate

• Bakeacake
  • Expert Waygook

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2022, 06:05:04 pm »
mild autism. it helps to repeat things over and over to feel comfortable.