Read 5790 times

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: EPIK wage increase
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2022, 12:09:46 pm »
For those of you considering China, beware of who you work for. A lot of schools couldn't operate during the Shanghai lockdown and the staff just didn't get paid. Also, start-up costs can be prohibitive with airfares being what they are. Not saying it's a bad idea. Just don't get too tempted by high salaries because things might not materialize and it can take a few months to break even.

For sure, that is why it is better to wait till some of this covid nonsense settles down.  I have said that repeatedly. 
745sticky, Augustiner, Bakeacake, D.L.Orean, Lazio, Mithras, Renma, Rye are losers who are blocked.  Good riddance to them. They will still be in Korea 10 years from now unless they are retired.  Either way, they will be poor since all they know how to do is troll rather than work for something more

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2022, 12:14:04 pm »
I won't disagree that such a wage is an embarrassment--and a job I would never recommend, but you can certainly "survive" on $1600 a month, assuming they provide housing (which is a fair assumption).  Take out deductions plus $200 for utilities, that leaves $40 a day.  Unless you're drinking a lot and eating out all the time, that is survivable.

A young person with student loans to pay off and or other debts to pay back home, you most certainly cannot. 

This pay will let you get by with a little more if you spend most of the money in Korea and have little to no savings nor have to send any or much money home.  Also, don't count on severance at the end because most employers no longer pay the flight home.  So, a 2.1 million severance, you will give away 1.5 million or more to pay the flight home.  Before you use to pocket that extra money.  Plus it is also taxed.  So, you may get 2 or 3 hundred thousand won left over for that. 
745sticky, Augustiner, Bakeacake, D.L.Orean, Lazio, Mithras, Renma, Rye are losers who are blocked.  Good riddance to them. They will still be in Korea 10 years from now unless they are retired.  Either way, they will be poor since all they know how to do is troll rather than work for something more

« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2022, 12:21:59 pm »
For sure, that is why it is better to wait till some of this covid nonsense settles down.  I have said that repeatedly.

The Covid nonsense isn't going to settle down in China until all of the elderly antivaxxers have died off.
A proud member of The Hateful Eight

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2022, 12:26:39 pm »
The Covid nonsense isn't going to settle down in China until all of the elderly antivaxxers have died off.

What's the likelihood that China will want all foreign teachers to be vaccinated? Is that something that could possibly become a requirement for anyone who wants to move there?

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2022, 12:27:26 pm »
It's actually even nuttier than this. In 2007 I made 2.2 as a n00b. 2.2 was 2361 USD. 2361 2007 dollars is $3281 currently. $3281 USD is about 4.3 mil in won. 2.2 in 2007 is very close to half what it is now.

Yes, I guess you are right.  This shows how good the pay was and how low it is now.  More of us should spread the word through the different forums, Facebook groups, Reddit, etc.  Let newbies know how much they are being ripped off.  Recruiters lie to them telling them it is good pay when it isn't.  It was once true but no longer is.  If more people refused to take the jobs here, wages would rise and fast. 

I was actually 1.9 my first year and 2.1 my second, 2.2 my third, then 2.5 my fourth (current EPIK pay scale kicked in - 2009), then sixth year 2.7.  (But ed offices had us do one school for a couple of years to avoid paying extra money.  Then, started with multiple schools and paying us the extra allowance, plus rural bonuses.  Then exchange rate got good for Canadians again around 2013 and 2014.  So, kept getting better and better for me until the end of the decade.  By 2019 and 2020, I started to notice fast rising costs and now the exchange rate for Canadians is down again.  Many of my 2.1 and 2.2 mil friend bailed a few years ago and went over to China.  I still felt pretty good as total pay was still low to mid 3s averaged out with bonses, rural allowance, extra teaching classes, etc.  I guess it is still kind of okay.  But inflation is coming for me too.  Thankfully, I did get my previous credit card debts and student loans and other things paid off.  I sure couldn't do it on 2.1 if I had to make that today.  But, it seems it has crept up on me again and is going back down but slower than what I like.  (Of course, I chose a larger apartment, to drive, etc.)  But the fast cost of living rise is eating into me too.  It already ate the salaries of thsoe in the low 2's quite a few years ago.  If I were 2.1, I would already be gone. 

But I was estimating that my 1.9 first year (level 3) salary would be like upper 2.0's today.  Of course my expenses are more namely apartment and car stuff, which I didn't have back then.  But a moldy old tiny one room wasn't so hot to live in at the time.  Education office nickled and dimed everything at the time and would pay no key money.  But, the flip side is they weren't very strict on things nor were my schools. 

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2022, 12:29:33 pm »

China only recognizes their own vaccine anyways, I do believe.  So, as far as I know, either take their vaccine or one may not be needed?  Mandates slowly disappearing elsewhere and probably will in China eventually too.  This years party congress elections or whatever you call it is probably preventing any changes for now. 

« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2022, 12:30:26 pm »
What's the likelihood that China will want all foreign teachers to be vaccinated? Is that something that could possibly become a requirement for anyone who wants to move there?

It's more likely that vaccine mandates will be for everyone. They started in Beijing a few days ago. Apart from that, there's no vaccine mandate anywhere.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 12:33:06 pm by Billy Herrington »

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2022, 12:32:37 pm »
It's more likely that vaccine mandates will be for everyone. They started in Beijing a few days ago.

But only theirs.  Western vaccines not recognized. 

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2022, 12:32:53 pm »

I still felt pretty good as total pay was still low to mid 3s averaged out with bonses, rural allowance, extra teaching classes, etc.

If this is how you calculate your paycheck, for comparison's sake, there is not a single person in the public school system on 2.1.

« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2022, 12:33:52 pm »
But only theirs.  Western vaccines not recognized.

Yes that's correct. If you go to Beijing, you will need to get vaccinated with one of the Chinese vaccines.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 12:36:54 pm by Billy Herrington »

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2022, 12:58:55 pm »
A young person with student loans to pay off and or other debts to pay back home, you most certainly cannot. 

This pay will let you get by with a little more if you spend most of the money in Korea and have little to no savings nor have to send any or much money home.  Also, don't count on severance at the end because most employers no longer pay the flight home.  So, a 2.1 million severance, you will give away 1.5 million or more to pay the flight home.  Before you use to pocket that extra money.  Plus it is also taxed.  So, you may get 2 or 3 hundred thousand won left over for that. 

The statement was that $1600 per month is not enough to survive on.

It might not be enough to pay off student debts, send money home or make substantial savings deposits, but it is definitely enough to survive on.

It's also not enough to retire to a Caribbean island, what's your point?

« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2022, 01:40:20 pm »
If you're a rich kid who just wants an experience and you're living off daddy dollars, then fair enough, but then why not choose Thailand?

« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2022, 02:23:35 pm »
Posted by a hangook supporter on craiglist today

Take over my job. Won dropped. Canít afford to stay (Seoul)
compensation: 2.2
employment type: full-time
job title: English Teacher
It is with a sad heart that I must leave my job and life here in Seoul. I came here to live the Hallyu dream, only to find a stagnant life where prices have risen so much, while the won has dropped off of a cliff in value. I can no longer afford to live here, so I am breaking contract and seeking to find someone else. I am tired of skipping meals to get by. My school is good, and are kind souls, but can not afford to pay more. I am helping them find a new teacher.

The job is at a school in central Seoul. Pay is 2.2 per month, but as my cost of living have substantially increased this past year or two, you will likely need to supplement with side jobs to stay afloat. You will teach 25-30 hours per week, between about 8:30am and 6pm. 1BR efficiency apartment provided, but utilities are not paid (and have become quiet expensive). Pretty standard deal. You must stay at the school when not teaching during working hours, but are allowed away for lunch.

If you are American or British (no other countries will likely be hired, as the program already employs people of other countries) please msg me. You will need a BA/BS and a TEFL certification. You need to be eligible for an E-2 visa. You MUST have at least 2 years of experience. They only want to hire people in-country (although so many people seem to be leaving Korea due to the same reasons I have encountered, I think they will have to change this).

• Renma
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2022, 02:37:34 pm »
Wow he's really selling that job haha. It sounds like a bog standard shitwon job, but what expenses is he running that he has to skip meals?? and 2.2m for an in-country with 2 years experience? Not much sympathy tbh, is living in downtown Seoul that crucial?

Anyway Hangook can add this to his repertoire of anecdotes from 'friends and others who message me'.

« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2022, 02:56:47 pm »
But if there's a wrestling gym nearby I might be interested.

• Augustiner
  • Expert Waygook

• December 06, 2021, 01:18:06 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2022, 02:56:59 pm »
Posted by a hangook supporter on craiglist today

Posted by a Hangook supporter, or posted by Hangook.  That things reads as totally fake.  Basically, it's a great school but you won't be able to survive is the vibe of that posting.  I liked the Hallyu dream touch. Way too suspect.  That person is clearly trying to scare people off rather than find a replacement. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 07:50:45 am by Augustiner »

« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2022, 07:36:57 pm »
No way the guy is skipping meals to get by. Not possible.

• Renma
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2022, 08:41:53 am »
Posted by a Hangook supporter, or posted by Hangook.  That things reads as totally fake.  Basically, it's a great school but you won't be able to survive is the vibe of that posting.  I liked the Hallyu dream touch. Way too suspect.  That person is clearly trying to scare people off rather than find a replacement. 

So hangook or hiddeninkorea then haha

« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2022, 10:27:27 am »
If you're a rich kid who just wants an experience and you're living off daddy dollars, then fair enough, but then why not choose Thailand?

Why not choose Thailand?  Well maybe because K-pop, K-drama, and K-culture, in general, have gained a lot of popularity in the West over the past 10 years, and plenty just want over for that experience, which is similar to how many wanted to go over to Japan just for the Anime and J-pop...
After living here for four years, I would really love to go to Thailand... cheap tropical fruit sounds so heavenly!!!
I miss having mangoes, papayas, and all kinds of berries weekly back in Canada... and I can only imagine how much more I would be able to enjoy in a place like Thailand!!!

My husband absolutely loves it here... even after spending almost a decade in Canada he thinks Korea is the best country in the world, and I can't blame him for loving his homeland where he grew up and has all of his family, and friends, and experience, so he feels the most comfortable here...
All I can think of is... those K-drama really did lie to me >.<

All you rich kids out there...... a visit or a semester of study abroad is plenty enough to enjoy Korea...
Just go to Thailand ... or Taiwan.. especially if you have a teacher's license, as I recently found out that Taiwan has a similar public school teaching program there but you have to hold a proper teaching license from back home to apply. The pay is $3,300.00 USD for starters and they also give you a housing and other benefits like bonuses etc.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 10:31:20 am by HiddenInKorea »

« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2022, 10:34:26 am »
If I was a rich kid, I'd be in Thailand. Unfortunately I gotta work, though. Such is life. I just don't feel like life in Korea is so good that it's worth working for free. It's not bad, just not that great.