Read 6253 times

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: Things that haven't caught on in Korea
« Reply #180 on: November 25, 2022, 08:52:53 am »
Real pizza.....
745sticky, Augustiner, Bakeacake, D.L.Orean, Lazio, Mithras, Renma, Rye are still blocked and I can't see them.

« Reply #181 on: November 25, 2022, 09:22:38 am »
Real pizza.....

Please define 'real pizza' for me. Every pizza I have ever eaten tastes like real pizza. Some toppings are good some are not. However, I would love to know what real 'real pizza' is. Please tell!

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #182 on: November 25, 2022, 09:41:15 am »
Please define 'real pizza' for me. Every pizza I have ever eaten tastes like real pizza. Some toppings are good some are not. However, I would love to know what real 'real pizza' is. Please tell!
I'll take the softball.

Real pizza doesn't have corn.
Real pizza doesn't have potato. Or sweet potato.
Real pizza has tomato sauce (hit or miss here - no, no ketchup added later does NOT count).
Real pizza is never sliced into a piece to be shoved cringed into a paper cup.
Pizza and mozzarella are a match. Whereas, string crust processed cheese (clogging those arteries; no gut-healthy bacteria) is standard hereabouts.

All that said,... we are all aware that this is an ethno-centric perspectice. But we still do what we do, like what we like.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 09:49:37 am by VanIslander »
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• ToilingAjumma
  • Super Waygook

• September 06, 2022, 09:12:01 pm
    • LargeKoreanCitizenCountry
« Reply #183 on: November 25, 2022, 09:54:42 am »
My friend made pizza. How does it look?

« Reply #184 on: November 25, 2022, 10:01:59 am »
See, to me that looks like good pizza. Well done your friend! Guess what I'm going to make for dinner now you posted that scrumptious looking pie?

« Reply #185 on: November 25, 2022, 10:27:17 am »
Real pizza has tomato sauce (hit or miss here - no, no ketchup added later does NOT count).

What do you mean by this? Do you dip your pizza in ketchup after it's cooked?

• Renma
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #186 on: November 25, 2022, 10:41:37 am »
Do Canadian's who havent lived in the west for 2 decades count as the authority on what makes a pizza a pizza?
Does Canada even make real pizza?
Is the consensus on waygook that American style or Italian style pizza is more 'real'?
What about 2am kebab shop pizza?
Are those Chicago pies pizza?

« Reply #187 on: November 25, 2022, 10:57:43 am »
Korea makes a lot of trash pizza. Which isn't a problem, tbh, because I happen to like trash pizza, too. Just as long as it doesn't have sweet toppings.

But sometimes I need something actually good, completely homemade with high quality ingredients and all of the right spices. That's really hard to come by here, it's all mostly a bunch of franchise chains or MomandPop shops that use sugary sauce and plastic cheese.

There was a place in Seoul that served authentic Italian pizza, and it was owned and run by an Italian guy. The best pizza I've had here in Korea. Sadly, his restaurant didn't survive covid.

• Renma
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #188 on: November 25, 2022, 11:16:31 am »
There was a Korean guy in my city who made great Italian pizza, he imported his ingredients and had a decent beer selection too. It was a small joint with 2 tables and 1 oven but it was my favorite pizza in Korea. Not expensive either. His store disappeared around the beginning of the year.  :cry:

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • 🇰🇷
« Reply #189 on: November 25, 2022, 11:23:44 am »
Not to brag or anything, but I make pretty amazing pizza.  :smiley:
I usually make a dozen or so from scratch, wrap them up, and then dump them all in the chest-freezer. When I don't feel like cooking, we just grab one, bake it for a bit, and presto!
This year, I got some giant costco planters, and grew all the herbs for the sauce and garnishes myself. *pats self on back*
Tried to grow the tomatoes as well, but they went a bit nuts and completely overran the sun-room without producing much in the way of tomatoes. *cries*

Etohs in Daegu has really good pizza, and there's a mom and pop place in our town that does a really good italian style pizza as well, so we're pretty lucky when it comes to availability of good pizzas!

« Reply #190 on: November 25, 2022, 11:32:17 am »
Yeah, that's way too much time and work investment just for good pizza. I'd rather spend money for someone else to do it for me.  :laugh:

Same thing with good rocky road ice cream. I mean, yeah, I can whip up a batch if I'm really hard-up for some, but for the really good stuff? I have money. I'm willing to spend it. Someone just needs to set up shop.

« Reply #191 on: November 25, 2022, 11:45:15 am »

Tried to grow the tomatoes as well, but they went a bit nuts and completely overran the sun-room without producing much in the way of tomatoes. *cries*

Your tomato plants looked ok, but they were stringy and elongated...searchi ng for more sunlight. Unless you have grow-lamps or overhead skylights to assist in your balcony garden, the crop will be small.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #192 on: November 25, 2022, 12:08:40 pm »
Not to brag or anything, but I make pretty amazing pizza.  :smiley:
I usually make a dozen or so from scratch, wrap them up, and then dump them all in the chest-freezer. When I don't feel like cooking, we just grab one, bake it for a bit, and presto!
This year, I got some giant costco planters, and grew all the herbs for the sauce and garnishes myself. *pats self on back*

Etohs in Daegu has really good pizza, and there's a mom and pop place in our town that does a really good italian style pizza as well, so we're pretty lucky when it comes to availability of good pizzas!
You opened the sphynx: "tomato", "tomato", Italian".
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

« Reply #193 on: November 25, 2022, 12:34:53 pm »
VI do you put ketchup on your pizza or not? It's eating me up inside.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • 🇰🇷
« Reply #194 on: November 25, 2022, 12:40:35 pm »
Your tomato plants looked ok, but they were stringy and elongated...searchi ng for more sunlight. Unless you have grow-lamps or overhead skylights to assist in your balcony garden, the crop will be small.
You're probably right. I've been considering getting a light or two, but it seems a bit excessive just for some home-grown veggies.

On a related note, I still remember a teacher getting busted for having grow-lamps and stringy, elongated plants in their one-room near my town back in 2012.
Which, incidentally, brings us back to things that haven't caught on in Korea.  :wink:

« Reply #195 on: November 25, 2022, 01:32:27 pm »
You're probably right. I've been considering getting a light or two, but it seems a bit excessive just for some home-grown veggies.

On a related note, I still remember a teacher getting busted for having grow-lamps and stringy, elongated plants in their one-room near my town back in 2012.
Which, incidentally, brings us back to things that haven't caught on in Korea.  :wink:

Literally every Korean I know either smokes whenever they can, or really want to. That or they are all undercover cops. It's totally gonna be legal by the time the current over 50s can no longer vote.

Then again, there's a huge confirmation bias because I live in a city and mostly know creative types.
Does your wife submit to you?

• Orkblut
  • Super Waygook

• April 18, 2012, 01:54:50 am
« Reply #196 on: November 25, 2022, 01:44:08 pm »
Real pizza doesn't have potato.

Pizza con patate from Rome isn't real pizza? Heavens to Betsy!