Read 4354 times

Re: Things that haven't caught on in Korea
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2022, 12:17:38 pm »
Nah Marti! I wasn't talking about you. So sorry. I mean, you make me spit tacks at times, but that's about it.
Now I feel like Castro being left out of the Axis of Evil.  :sad:

Poor Kyndo. Now you are on my list marti, with a small m  :smiley:
Whew! 8)

• Renma
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2022, 12:40:17 pm »
Thanks guys!

Unfortunately, I don't do Facebook Renma, but appreciate the link. Cheers!

CSIK, I'd forgotten about Braai Republic. Are SA sausages similar to English style (as in British)?

Ahh, I'll just have to get off my backside and start making my own. It is a plan, but I was putting it off until later...shrug. CO2 also mentioned ages ago, that it was a tricky process.

Ahh gotcha.

I believe this https://www.gingerandtreacle.co.kr/ is the same business as the FB page I linked. They don't seem to update that website  often though.

He does meat pies and black pudding occasionally too. Maybe someone in the family can look up the page for you.

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2022, 12:58:53 pm »
Now I feel like Castro being left out of the Axis of Evil.  :sad:
Whew! 8)

You poor little Commie.  Here's an old song about you, Castro.....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzFlPdHt1Gk

745sticky, Augustiner, Bakeacake, D.L.Orean, Lazio, Mithras, Renma, Rye are losers who are blocked.  Good riddance to them. They will still be in Korea 10 years from now unless they are retired.  Either way, they will be poor since all they know how to do is troll rather than work for something more

• Bakeacake
  • Super Waygook

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2022, 01:34:40 pm »
Dang. An hour away!

Of course, there's a surfing wave pool inexplicably minutes away from this town in the middle of farm country. *shrug*

I also hear Daegu has a sick climbing wall.

uuuh,  where is that surfing pool?

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2022, 03:16:52 pm »
CSIK, I'd forgotten about Braai Republic. Are SA sausages similar to English style (as in British)?

Rye, some are but boerewors is in a class of its own. Most delicious sausage you will ever taste.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• Bakeacake
  • Super Waygook

• Pohang South Korea
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2022, 04:36:03 pm »

Rye, some are but boerewors is in a class of its own. Most delicious sausage you will ever taste.

they are dry and made of the wrong animal. but i understand your bias.

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2022, 05:50:16 pm »
NFL

Oh wait, even Suwon and Cheonan have official NFL stores.

Who buys this stuff?

"I, Mr. Park, 58 yo and resident of Suwon, am a massive, MASSIVE, St Louis Rams fan."

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2022, 06:00:30 pm »
uuuh,  where is that surfing pool?
It's an indoor wave pool ("Surfing Park" is in the name), over an hour southwest of Daegu, near small towns, surrounded by farms.

23-18 Geocha 1-gil, Wicheon-myeon, Gyeongsangnam-do
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 06:03:00 pm by VanIslander »
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• Bakeacake
  • Super Waygook

• Pohang South Korea
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2022, 06:10:49 pm »
It's an indoor wave pool ("Surfing Park" is in the name), over an hour southwest of Daegu, near small towns, surrounded by farms.

23-18 Geocha 1-gil, Wicheon-myeon, Gyeongsangnam-do

awesome!  thanks.  weekend trip for sure!

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2022, 09:59:26 pm »
Also, given that OP is likely in Seoul (as the author of Cohiba's Rule) then he should know that you can get cigars at either Resolver, Burn in Hal or La Nube. I think there's a few other places too.

Also, can't you get those internationally shipped? Like I just checked and a box of My Father The Judges is $270 bucks with shipping. Not wholly unreasonable. Little over $10 bucks a cigar.
https://www.neptunecigar.com/cigar/my-father-the-judge

Also, why does OP care about tampons? What business of that is his? And yes, you can find them here.
https://www.coupang.com/vp/products/245275592?itemId=777562326&vendorItemId=4966825657&q=tampon&itemsCount=36&searchId=555b89bfc0b54bb4b4ad148554fba0f8&rank=0&isAddedCart=

As for Mexican food...

Tratar has like 6 locations in Seoul and they're pretty decent. God Eat has four locations and they aren't bad either. Then you have ehh stuff like Dos Tacos. And then you have Itaewon stuff.

Seriously, like most of OP's list is just because he doesn't know how/is too lazy to look around/do it himself

Tratar is just okay. I think their burritos and quesadillas are decent, but their tacos are just...horrible. It's 90% shredded cabbage. That's not a taco

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2022, 10:44:28 pm »
You rejected the job because the director bought an oven? Am I reading this wrong?
Basically because the purchase of an oven to bake biscuits like "back home" represented a mindset I didn't want to work for and with.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

more
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2022, 02:13:16 am »
Tratar is just okay. I think their burritos and quesadillas are decent, but their tacos are just...horrible. It's 90% shredded cabbage. That's not a taco.
Butritos can be hit or miss. Tacos can be good or upchuck. But quesadillas and fajitas have always been good imo (in Incheon, Vancouver, San Fran, Edmonton, Montreal, etc ... and by etc I mean Kamloops, Nanaimo & Ottawa).

Why? Maybe cuz burritos are much about the texture of the beans, tacos about the quality of the shell but a fajita is like Mexican chopped up steak & salad: hard to f up; quesadillas is cheese and a soft shell, however low quality the maybe processed gunk may be, it still tastes like hot cheese in a soft bread product at a high temp.

Have you ever had a "bad" quesadillas? (When it was hot... temp soooo important to such things).

That said, have I ever had an awesome quesadillas? Uh, I have never had an awesome glazed donut, so it's like that. Skip both and lose nothing. They are truck stop highway item worthy. Like boiled hot dogs on buns baked days ago.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 02:18:32 am by VanIslander »
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2022, 08:59:04 am »
Basically because the purchase of an oven to bake biscuits like "back home" represented a mindset I didn't want to work for and with.

That's weird, I passed on a job because the owner didn't have enough ovens. Not even an easy bake! Pop some cookies in there in the morning and you'll have a nice treat on the walk home 8 hours later when they are finished.

• Augustiner
  • Expert Waygook

• December 06, 2021, 01:18:06 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2022, 09:44:50 am »

What mindset is that?  Making an effort to eat foods that are unavailable here?  That's an odd thing to even care about one way or the other.  I bought an Instant Pot (a Canadian product) to help cook foods I miss from back home.  I don't think it indicates any kind of mindset.

Were you one of those go full native guys who would wear slippers indoors even when the Koreans weren't?  I've met a few of those.  Want to show they're getting the full Korean experience.  They never last long, ironically enough.  You're one of those posters that left but still posts on here, right?  That indicates a way worse mindset then missing biscuits to me. 

« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2022, 09:51:34 am »
What on earth are you talking about?

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2022, 10:04:33 am »
What mindset is that?  Making an effort to eat foods that are unavailable here?  That's an odd thing to even care about one way or the other.  I bought an Instant Pot (a Canadian product) to help cook foods I miss from back home.  I don't think it indicates any kind of mindset.

Were you one of those go full native guys who would wear slippers indoors even when the Koreans weren't?  I've met a few of those.  Want to show they're getting the full Korean experience.  They never last long, ironically enough.  You're one of those posters that left but still posts on here, right?  That indicates a way worse mindset then missing biscuits to me.

I used to respect you. But this changes everything. I wouldn't want to work with you. It's the kind of disrespect for Korea and unwillingness to adapt that I can't stand. What's next? A burger and beer with friends? No, thanks. I'll stick to samgyeopsal and soju.

• Augustiner
  • Expert Waygook

• December 06, 2021, 01:18:06 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2022, 11:28:03 am »
I used to respect you. But this changes everything. I wouldn't want to work with you. It's the kind of disrespect for Korea and unwillingness to adapt that I can't stand. What's next? A burger and beer with friends? No, thanks. I'll stick to samgyeopsal and soju.

I'm not doing burgers and a beer, man!  I'm not that much of a loser. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 11:36:51 am by Augustiner »

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Sierra Leone
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2022, 11:28:44 am »

What's next? A burger and beer with friends?

Sounds good to me. There is a place near me owned by a kyopo.
Awesome burgers and a fine selection of IPAs.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2022, 11:34:27 am »
they are dry and made of the wrong animal. but i understand your bias.

Well, I don't know about being dry, haven't had them lately from there but boerewors is not dry.  You claim it is made from the wrong animal. Well boerewors can be made from almost any meat but traditionally it is a mixture of pork and beef.  As I said, you can make it from almost any meat and some of the nicest I have tasted was made from deer.

I always bought it from them and cooked it myself and never had it dry.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

more
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2022, 11:43:01 am »
Whatever your bro wants.

In Windsor Canada it was hot wings & beer, SanFran it was wine & cheese (and tequilla - but that's a gassy story), in Korea it's soju and meat (doesn't matter how it's prepared, as long as it walked on land or swam in the sea, eat it with soju).

I sat one holiday night in Quebec and ate tripe and drank white wine, two things i loathe.

I am all for "No thank you. I'm not hungry" or "Water, please" but when you visit another's home don't detonate the room with complaints or stances. It ain't the place. In restaurants, take your pick. At home, it's your game. (A basic take.)