Read 4353 times

• Augustiner
  • Expert Waygook

• December 06, 2021, 01:18:06 pm
    • Anyang
Re: Things that haven't caught on in Korea
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2022, 03:21:50 pm »

Toothpaste with fluoride. I know they've got a brand that includes it, but it really isn't on par with western recipes.

I have Colgate Total in the classroom as I type that I picked up in EMart.  Saw the Colgate Whitening toothpaste the other day for the first time. 

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Sierra Leone
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2022, 04:06:57 pm »
Account settings
Modify profile
Buddys/ignore

Thank you Chinguetti for suggesting this. I'm also about to block the same annoying poster.

Cool, I'm going to try that.

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Sierra Leone
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2022, 04:13:43 pm »
Cool, I'm going to try that.

Haha, totally worked:  You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2022, 06:34:35 pm »
The narcissism and subtle bigotry in all of this is really remarkable.

- The belief of the OP that he is in a position to render judgment on a country and people's progress and should be the arbiter of such things
- The belief that progress should be measured in things OP enjoys and the implication that something is "wrong" because some of those things haven't caught on. The country exists for his pleasure.
- This statement: "However I think Korea is still Korean regardless of the NETs and McDonald's." 1) There's more to foreigners and interchange than NETs. 2) OMG, the unmitigated gall of Korea to still be Korean. What's wrong with them? How dare they!
And? Who gives a shit? They have zero obligation to like such things and you should have zero expectation or disappointment that they don't enjoy them.

"I'm going to travel and live halfway across the world in a completely different culture and be upset that people don't enjoy the same things I enjoyed back home."

Who thinks like that? What is the point of traveling? "I'm going to move to Korea and be upset with them for not liking Captain Diabetes+Mouth Shred in a Box" What an utterly selfish, childish view of the world.
Although the post is a bit much, I agree with the basic message. Once was interviewed for a college job by the English program director who had, many years ago, bought an oven because she had to have her biscuits. I decided to go in another direction.

And can't anyone think of something to post about besides food? I ran a pool deck on Miami Beach way back when and all the old retirees talked about was where they were going to have lunch (or dinner).

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2022, 07:50:13 pm »
I have Colgate Total in the classroom as I type that I picked up in EMart.  Saw the Colgate Whitening toothpaste the other day for the first time. 

Yeah, I've tried the stuff they've recently started selling locally (I don't like regular Colgate, only ever use Total).

I'm pretty sure it's not the same formula, though. I could be wrong, but it has the same flatness as all of the Korean brands. Just doesn't seem like it's the same stuff I get from overseas.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 08:07:19 pm by Chinguetti »

« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2022, 08:01:26 pm »
Anyways, some of those things you can order online.  Meat pies maybe not so much. 

You can order pretty much everything online, including the meat pies.

I just can't get the stuff that I want locally. What's sold here isn't the same as what's sold there, so the time and cost of overseas shipping it is. Frozen comfort foods from home, notwithstanding.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 08:06:11 pm by Chinguetti »

• Adel
  • The Legend

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2022, 02:07:10 am »
There is a Halal butcher with an online store, the name escapes me. Costco has some Lamb products.

So I guess it's limited availability  would suggest that it hasn't really caught on. I remember lamb chops first appearing in Emart back in about 2007 or 8. I take it you wouldn't find them there nowadays?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 02:08:55 am by Adel »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2022, 03:26:44 am »
1. Paprika (Spanish or Hungarian - no, very different than Korean red pepper powder;
2. Cottage cheese (add chopped onions and paprika - see #1);
3. A European deli (just one; maybe in Seoul somewhere, here?);
4. Sports bars (i mean, really, there are beer bars with screens but they ain't about sports anymore than a woman dressed up is about lipstick;
5. Screamers. Or whatever slurpees/slushes with ice cream added are called in your ol' neck of the woods;
6. Drag races from stop lights with youngsters (yeah, it's good even insane taxi drivers here start slow; very diff dynamics back home if you drive);
7. Frisbee throwing: in this country, from beach to park, it draws wtf? puzzlement - i might as well be throwing a boomerang (except my years on Jeju where they have frisbee golf);
8. Church bingo. My aunt and granny indoctrinated me in the dabbing; the closest thing here was locked door back of bakery blackjack;
9. Jaywalking. It has never caught on here as an offense: Imagine a Korean police officer giving a Korean man a ticket for walking across the road?! The fireworks! (This country is - thankfully - in many ways the opposite of China);
10. Distrust of customers. 24/7 stores open to anyone with no workers? Back home they would be raided in seconds (minutes tops). One's faith in humanity, in a society, in social norms, in the possibility of a civil society, is strengthened with 24-hour open stores with no workers, relying on their trust of the populace, of strangers, of unidentified customers to put money into machines, living in a society where mass f'u rebellious raiding doesn't break the surveillance system.
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Sierra Leone
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2022, 06:39:31 am »

7. Frisbee throwing: in this country, from beach to park, it draws wtf? puzzlement - i might as well be throwing a boomerang (except my years on Jeju where they have frisbee golf);

Daegu has a PDGA approved disk golf course. Went to a tournament there
last month. We also have a par 74 course in Incheon.  We play every Sunday
morning at 8:30am. Good mix of players and levels.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2022, 06:47:27 am »
Daegu has a PDGA approved disk golf course. Went to a tournament there last month.
Dang. An hour away!

Of course, there's a surfing wave pool inexplicably minutes away from this town in the middle of farm country. *shrug*

I also hear Daegu has a sick climbing wall.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 06:49:53 am by VanIslander »
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• Augustiner
  • Expert Waygook

• December 06, 2021, 01:18:06 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2022, 07:37:32 am »
Yeah, I've tried the stuff they've recently started selling locally (I don't like regular Colgate, only ever use Total).

I'm pretty sure it's not the same formula, though. I could be wrong, but it has the same flatness as all of the Korean brands. Just doesn't seem like it's the same stuff I get from overseas.

Yeah, I think you're right about it being a different formula.  I still order mine from Amazon, but when I'm running low the Colgate Total at EMart beats those crappy Korean brands. 

I also think you may have something in adding Van and Marti to the ignore list. Sometimes I get a kick pointing out the nonsense they post, but it'll probably be a more positive experience here without reading their stuff.  Just makes me more negative.   Done.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 07:39:31 am by Augustiner »

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Sierra Leone
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2022, 07:43:12 am »

Yeah, I think you're right about it being a different formula.  I still order mine from Amazon, but when I'm running low the Colgate Total at EMart beats those crappy Korean brands. 

I think Korean manufacturers add sugar to their toothpaste.

• Renma
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2022, 07:52:30 am »
Once was interviewed for a college job by the English program director who had, many years ago, bought an oven because she had to have her biscuits. I decided to go in another direction.

You rejected the job because the director bought an oven? Am I reading this wrong?

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Sierra Leone
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2022, 08:09:08 am »
You rejected the job because the director bought an oven? Am I reading this wrong?

Yeah, it would be cool having a director who cooked up biscuits and gravy.

• Renma
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2022, 09:55:35 am »

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2022, 10:00:47 am »
-Fresh sausages.

Yeah, I know I moaned about the price of recognizable brand pre-cooked sausages the other day, but I do miss fresh sausages...pork or beef and those with added flavours like tomato and beef, beef and onion...occasionall y.

Gavin's does a chipolata style pork sausage, but I've never tried them, and the odd few street hot dog people sometimes use fresh sausages but that's about it.

I do remember about the mid 2000s, a number supermarkets were selling them, but they faded away. I guess people prefered ease of cooking, and demand wasn't great. Who knows!

So, where's Marti? If you read this, I'd appreciate it if you could push me in the right direction. Believe me, I can't find any, except 'Gavins'.

There is a restaurant in Itaewon, called Braai Republic. They have decent South African fresh sausage. They sell online too.

https://braairepublic.com/

They are in Pyeongtaek and Hongdae too.  Give them a try.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2022, 10:48:17 am »
So, where's Marti? If you read this, I'd appreciate it if you could push me in the right direction. Believe me, I can't find any, except 'Gavins'.
Thought you were done with me  :sad:

I'm also about to block the same annoying poster.
But I see...you were really talking about kyndo.

Anyways, I only used Gavin's ( http://m.gavin.co.kr/ ) and Braai's. Never tried that Facebook group and apparently this place http://m.klassiks.co.kr.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2022, 11:05:02 am »
Wait, what?

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Sierra Leone
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2022, 11:29:30 am »

You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

Haha

• Adel
  • The Legend

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2022, 11:53:16 am »
A lot of ignorance around lately!