Read 6210 times

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Sierra Leone
Re: Things that haven't caught on in Korea
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2022, 02:34:49 pm »
Those are good too.  (Those other flavors mentioned above are hard to get outside of Canada, though apparently dill pickle is sold in some places US side and on i herb.)

Yeah, I remember those chips. The Dill Pickle chips were good.
Blocked: JonVoightCar

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2022, 02:36:04 pm »
Also, given that OP is likely in Seoul (as the author of Cohiba's Rule) then he should know that you can get cigars at either Resolver, Burn in Hal or La Nube. I think there's a few other places too.

Also, can't you get those internationally shipped? Like I just checked and a box of My Father The Judges is $270 bucks with shipping. Not wholly unreasonable. Little over $10 bucks a cigar.
https://www.neptunecigar.com/cigar/my-father-the-judge

Also, why does OP care about tampons? What business of that is his? And yes, you can find them here.
https://www.coupang.com/vp/products/245275592?itemId=777562326&vendorItemId=4966825657&q=tampon&itemsCount=36&searchId=555b89bfc0b54bb4b4ad148554fba0f8&rank=0&isAddedCart=

As for Mexican food...

Tratar has like 6 locations in Seoul and they're pretty decent. God Eat has four locations and they aren't bad either. Then you have ehh stuff like Dos Tacos. And then you have Itaewon stuff.

Seriously, like most of OP's list is just because he doesn't know how/is too lazy to look around/do it himself

• Adel
  • The Legend

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2022, 02:37:02 pm »
John Cook Pastrami
https://www.johncook.co.kr/goods/goods_view.php?goodsNo=1000000033
(FYI I showed this site to OP, and he threw a temper tantrum because the sign-up process, standard Korean signup, was "too complicated for him" and took all of two minutes to do)

For the OP-
https://www.coupang.com/np/search?component=&q=Captain+Crunch&channel=user

Russian Bread
https://b2b.imperia.co.kr/ru/categories?category=category_id-98
Russian Meat
https://b2b.imperia.co.kr/ru/categories?category=category_id-76

Why get Lays, when you can get Kettle?
https://www.coupang.com/vp/products/5195657332?itemId=1172485&vendorItemId=3273065064&q=Kettle+chips&itemsCount=36&searchId=b534a6030c10433498effb2836dc2670&rank=19&isAddedCart=

Honestly, it seems a lot of the "I can't find this? Why isn't this here?" Are made of people that just suck at searching and shopping and/or cooking in their own home.
Have you forgotten the title of the thread Marti?
If you have to cook it at home or spend a lot of time looking for it, what else might that mean?

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2022, 02:39:32 pm »
Have you forgotten the title of the thread Marti?
If you have to cook it at home or spend a lot of time looking for it, what might that mean?
How is Captain Crunch supposed to "catch on"? How has Mexican food not "caught on?"

Also, don't OPs demands seem a bit...selfish and overly specific? Captain Crunch really?

If I can readily obtain it with minimal hassle, which is true for pretty much everything OP lists, then I'd say it has "caught on" enough. Also, Coupang Rocket isn't "spend a lot of time", it's more like a one minute web search on the most popular shopping site in Korea...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 03:15:44 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• Adel
  • The Legend

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2022, 02:44:03 pm »
Haven't visited Korea for a couple of years but is it possible to find freshly butchered lamb forequarter chops? The Korean people I knew were always of the opinion the lamb was too smelly but I do recall lamb chump chops being available briefly before going out of fashion.

• 745sticky
  • The Legend

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2022, 02:44:06 pm »
The narcissism and subtle bigotry in all of this is really remarkable.

- The belief of the OP that he is in a position to render judgment on a country and people's progress and should be the arbiter of such things
- The belief that progress should be measured in things OP enjoys and the implication that something is "wrong" because some of those things haven't caught on. The country exists for his pleasure.

yeahh, i didn't read any of that in his posts, and it seems like as you tend to do you've read it into there yourself. its a casual conversation topic, no need to have a seizure over it

- This statement: "However I think Korea is still Korean regardless of the NETs and McDonald's." 1) There's more to foreigners and interchange than NETs. 2) OMG, the unmitigated gall of Korea to still be Korean. What's wrong with them? How dare they!

nothing in that statement implies that there's something "wrong" with it, its just pointing out that korean maintains a certain identity despite some western influence.

you really need to relax.

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2022, 02:55:07 pm »
yeahh, i didn't read any of that in his posts, and it seems like as you tend to do you've read it into there yourself. its a casual conversation topic, no need to have a seizure over it

nothing in that statement implies that there's something "wrong" with it, its just pointing out that korean maintains a certain identity despite some western influence.

you really need to relax.

As I said, innocent underpinnings, but there was definitely some judgment in there. It didn't write as someone who was fully wistful, though I'm sure for some there was.

Not to mention why does OP care about tampons?

Regardless, lets be proactive and try to point people where to find these things or how to make them. I'll drop it from here on out and stick to helping people find things.

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2022, 03:00:44 pm »

I swear next visit home will be just to eat.  Stuff I normally would barely give two hoots about.  Ironic.  Rice pudding is another I will add to the above list. 
745sticky, Augustiner, Bakeacake, D.L.Orean, Lazio, Mithras, Renma, Rye are still blocked and I can't see them.

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Sierra Leone
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2022, 03:04:35 pm »
I swear next visit home will be just to eat.  Stuff I normally would barely give two hoots about.  Ironic.  Rice pudding is another I will add to the above list. 

I remember Dill Pickle Chips, Cream Soda and Space:1999. Those three together
were the ultimate form of contentment.

Blocked: JonVoightCar

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2022, 03:05:03 pm »
Pay rises haven't caught on here, have they hangook? ;)

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2022, 03:11:40 pm »
Haven't visited Korea for a couple of years but is it possible to find freshly butchered lamb forequarter chops? The Korean people I knew were always of the opinion the lamb was too smelly but I do recall lamb chump chops being available briefly before going out of fashion.

There is a Halal butcher with an online store, the name escapes me. Costco has some Lamb products.

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2022, 03:12:22 pm »
I've said it before, your ignore list can seriously help clean up a lot of threads. It's really made a huge difference for me, I don't spend nearly as much energy scrolling past problematic posters. :undecided:

Anyway, on topic:

On board with certain feminine hygiene products, especially tampons. I still have to buy or get them shipped in from overseas because the local options are just terrible.

Toothpaste with fluoride. I know they've got a brand that includes it, but it really isn't on par with western recipes.

Savory ridged chips, although I'm starting to notice this changing. Not just for chips, either, I've been seeing other types of snack foods that are legitimately savory and unsweetened popping up here and there. They tend to get discontinued, but they're coming around, lol.

YES MEAT PIES. Good ones.

****** pizza pockets.  :cry:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 08:08:17 pm by Chinguetti »

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2022, 03:15:55 pm »
Pay rises haven't caught on here, have they hangook? ;)

I know you are being a smart ass.  But no it seems not to, with many jobs.  Not sure why you are interjecting this into this topic.  Not sure why you feel the need to argue with me on this topic when most people believe they should go up.  If you want to work for less, so be it.  But why mock the idea of asking for more?  It is really is idiotic on your part and really makes no sense at all.  Why is fighting for better work conditions something to be ridiculed with sarcasm and whatnot? 
745sticky, Augustiner, Bakeacake, D.L.Orean, Lazio, Mithras, Renma, Rye are still blocked and I can't see them.

• Augustiner
  • Expert Waygook

• December 06, 2021, 01:18:06 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2022, 03:16:44 pm »

Try the dill pickle chips from Ikea. 

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2022, 03:17:53 pm »
I've said it before, your ignore list can seriously help clean up a lot of threads. It's really made a huge difference for me, I don't spend nearly as much energy scrolling past problematic posters. :undecided:

Anyway, on topic:

On board with certain feminine hygiene products, especially tampons. I still have to buy or get them shipped in from overseas because the local options are just terrible.

Toothpaste with fluoride. I know they've got a brand that includes it, but it really isn't on par with western recipes.

Savory ridged chips, although I'm starting to notice this changing. Not just for chips, either, I've been seeing other types of snack foods that are legitimately savory and unsweetened popping up here and there. They tend to get discontinued, but they're coming around, lol.

YES MEAT PIES. Good ones.

****** pizza pockets.  :cry:

Oh yeah?  How do you block people?  Might be a good idea though I haven't done so yet. 

Anyways, some of those things you can order online.  Meat pies maybe not so much. 

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2022, 03:18:26 pm »
Try the dill pickle chips from Ikea. 

Ikea has dill pickle chips?  Cool, I got to get up to Gyeongi one day.

• Augustiner
  • Expert Waygook

• December 06, 2021, 01:18:06 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2022, 03:20:32 pm »
Ikea has dill pickle chips?  Cool, I got to get up to Gyeongi one day.

There were like pickle and chive, or something like that.  It has some good items you don't find anywhere else in the food shop after checkout near the snack bar.  I have never been to the one in Goyang.