Read 6561 times

Re: Things that haven't caught on in Korea
« Reply #180 on: November 25, 2022, 10:57:43 am »
Korea makes a lot of trash pizza. Which isn't a problem, tbh, because I happen to like trash pizza, too. Just as long as it doesn't have sweet toppings.

But sometimes I need something actually good, completely homemade with high quality ingredients and all of the right spices. That's really hard to come by here, it's all mostly a bunch of franchise chains or MomandPop shops that use sugary sauce and plastic cheese.

There was a place in Seoul that served authentic Italian pizza, and it was owned and run by an Italian guy. The best pizza I've had here in Korea. Sadly, his restaurant didn't survive covid.

• Renma
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2014, 06:09:42 am
« Reply #181 on: November 25, 2022, 11:16:31 am »
There was a Korean guy in my city who made great Italian pizza, he imported his ingredients and had a decent beer selection too. It was a small joint with 2 tables and 1 oven but it was my favorite pizza in Korea. Not expensive either. His store disappeared around the beginning of the year.  :cry:

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • 🇰🇷
« Reply #182 on: November 25, 2022, 11:23:44 am »
Not to brag or anything, but I make pretty amazing pizza.  :smiley:
I usually make a dozen or so from scratch, wrap them up, and then dump them all in the chest-freezer. When I don't feel like cooking, we just grab one, bake it for a bit, and presto!
This year, I got some giant costco planters, and grew all the herbs for the sauce and garnishes myself. *pats self on back*
Tried to grow the tomatoes as well, but they went a bit nuts and completely overran the sun-room without producing much in the way of tomatoes. *cries*

Etohs in Daegu has really good pizza, and there's a mom and pop place in our town that does a really good italian style pizza as well, so we're pretty lucky when it comes to availability of good pizzas!

« Reply #183 on: November 25, 2022, 11:32:17 am »
Yeah, that's way too much time and work investment just for good pizza. I'd rather spend money for someone else to do it for me.  :laugh:

Same thing with good rocky road ice cream. I mean, yeah, I can whip up a batch if I'm really hard-up for some, but for the really good stuff? I have money. I'm willing to spend it. Someone just needs to set up shop.

« Reply #184 on: November 25, 2022, 11:45:15 am »

Tried to grow the tomatoes as well, but they went a bit nuts and completely overran the sun-room without producing much in the way of tomatoes. *cries*

Your tomato plants looked ok, but they were stringy and elongated...searchi ng for more sunlight. Unless you have grow-lamps or overhead skylights to assist in your balcony garden, the crop will be small.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #185 on: November 25, 2022, 12:08:40 pm »
Not to brag or anything, but I make pretty amazing pizza.  :smiley:
I usually make a dozen or so from scratch, wrap them up, and then dump them all in the chest-freezer. When I don't feel like cooking, we just grab one, bake it for a bit, and presto!
This year, I got some giant costco planters, and grew all the herbs for the sauce and garnishes myself. *pats self on back*

Etohs in Daegu has really good pizza, and there's a mom and pop place in our town that does a really good italian style pizza as well, so we're pretty lucky when it comes to availability of good pizzas!
You opened the sphynx: "tomato", "tomato", Italian".
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

« Reply #186 on: November 25, 2022, 12:34:53 pm »
VI do you put ketchup on your pizza or not? It's eating me up inside.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • 🇰🇷
« Reply #187 on: November 25, 2022, 12:40:35 pm »
Your tomato plants looked ok, but they were stringy and elongated...searchi ng for more sunlight. Unless you have grow-lamps or overhead skylights to assist in your balcony garden, the crop will be small.
You're probably right. I've been considering getting a light or two, but it seems a bit excessive just for some home-grown veggies.

On a related note, I still remember a teacher getting busted for having grow-lamps and stringy, elongated plants in their one-room near my town back in 2012.
Which, incidentally, brings us back to things that haven't caught on in Korea.  :wink:

« Reply #188 on: November 25, 2022, 01:32:27 pm »
You're probably right. I've been considering getting a light or two, but it seems a bit excessive just for some home-grown veggies.

On a related note, I still remember a teacher getting busted for having grow-lamps and stringy, elongated plants in their one-room near my town back in 2012.
Which, incidentally, brings us back to things that haven't caught on in Korea.  :wink:

Literally every Korean I know either smokes whenever they can, or really want to. That or they are all undercover cops. It's totally gonna be legal by the time the current over 50s can no longer vote.

Then again, there's a huge confirmation bias because I live in a city and mostly know creative types.
Does your wife submit to you?

• Orkblut
  • Super Waygook

• April 18, 2012, 01:54:50 am
« Reply #189 on: November 25, 2022, 01:44:08 pm »
Real pizza doesn't have potato.

Pizza con patate from Rome isn't real pizza? Heavens to Betsy!

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #190 on: Yesterday at 12:33:05 pm »
I didn't realize there were so many foreigners who loved Korean pizza and feel the need to defend it.  I use to buy some greasy new york style pizza at the central city bus terminal.  There was a joint over in the renovated section.  Had to go through doors to get to it past the starbucks.  I can't remember what it was called now.  This was pre covid.  So, I don't know if it's still there now.  I haven't been to Seoul since early 2020 except for 3 days last winter?  If I go back this winter, I'll see if I can find it if it's still there. 

Korean pizza is often made with a different type of bread or crust and often has a sweet taste.  I think the tomato paste is a sweet ketchupy taste.  Some of the toppings are weird.  That said, I can wolf down a cheap pepperoni pizza school on rare occasion.  I wish they sold the Delissio frozen pizzas here.  Those Korean ones are bleh!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pytamxCCWJk

745sticky, Augustiner, Bakeacake, D.L.Orean, Lazio, Mithras, Renma, Rye are still blocked and I can't see them.

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #191 on: Yesterday at 12:35:51 pm »
Let me add, when I ate Dominos in my hometown, the tomato sauce had a zesty tomato taste to it.  It made Dominos really good.  But Dominos here is very very different.  Dominos and Pizza Hut are very Korean pizza here.  Not the same as back home.  Papa John's is less Koreanized it seems.  Crust seems more like back home.  So, for a franchise here, it is better than the other two. Just my experience.  At least pepperoni and Hawaiian. 
745sticky, Augustiner, Bakeacake, D.L.Orean, Lazio, Mithras, Renma, Rye are still blocked and I can't see them.

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #192 on: Yesterday at 12:38:03 pm »
Now my mouth is a watering for garlic fingers and the Pizza Delight buffets.  Thanks for keeping this topic going.....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjy5TO7aJ3A

What buddy calls cheese sticks are actually garlic fingers. 
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:40:58 pm by hangook77 »