• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: AC
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2022, 09:48:51 am »
You lucky bastard!

Vancouver & Vancouver Islander summers are likewise mild.

But then in middle school, and high school, we moved 4 hours to the interior of the province, Kamloops, and f'n' 41 C to 45 C summer days came... a 38 C summer high was surprisingly so not hot. "But it was a dry heat." Yeah, no sweat because it vaporized in the semi-arid B.C. central Interior, but the BURNING sensation was tough as heck. And my lips bled, fingertips cracked and heels of feet cracked, bled and caused emergency medical treatment.

An a/c was needed to LIVE through some heat waves. I recall the cool library was STACKED with readers as well as books in the middle of summer.
I lived in the southern interior, and the dry heat wasn't a problem, because the temp dropped by like 5 too 10 degrees as soon as you found a shady spot. Also, it got nice and cool at night no matter how hot it was during the day.
Although, I gotta say, leaving footprints in the asphalt because of the 45 degree heat was a bit disconcerting...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 10:37:49 am by Kyndo »

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2022, 10:26:08 am »
I think the official policy was to move money from the foreign english teacher budget across to cover for heat in winter and ac in summer. You might see it as a positive, but I would prefer to see salaries go up.

I doubt that's true or exactly tit for tat.  But yes it would be nice to see them rise. 
Trolls on here are lame and need to get a life.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2022, 05:53:44 pm »
The a/c in my apartment is on 24/7 at usually 22 (which makes the room temp read 24) 'cuz I have two long-haired cats that are immobile and tongue-extended if the room gets up to 26 c when i'm not home (years ago i discovered that and committed to ensuring the apartment never exceeds 24).
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2022, 08:23:51 pm »
Yeah, measured and set temperature can be different. Perhaps those that set 18 on their A/C never actually reach that temperature.
The measured temperature in my case usually goes half or one degree Celsius lower than the setting. Last night wasn't really hot but it was very humid after the rain. So I decided to go to sleep with the A/C set to 25. I felt cold in the morning. The actual measured temperature was 24.2.
At 20-22, I would need a thick blanket. At 18 I would need 2.
''Jealous of those who make more, have a 2 bedroom apartment to live in, ride a GIANT mountain bike, and drive a car that gets them around?  Well, I can't help myself.  It's too bad you are jealous of me for you having less. I am at least able to say I am living better than most ESLers '' hangook77

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2022, 09:09:57 am »
I set cooler in evenings and turn it up higher overnight.  I do this from mid to late June to mid to late September?  mid May to mid June and early and mid October depending on the year, I turn on For a couple of hours late evening cold temperature and then shut off overnight.  It's enough.  I could prob open windows but I am on a lower floor and some rare nights douches talk loudly, make noises, loud Coupang delivery trucks overnight, loud delivery scooters until late, etc.  Got to close window and use ac instead (for part of the time). 

Mostly lower to mid 20s is enough.  But there is a week in August really hot and humid and I need it set lower plus using a fan at the same time briefly. 
Trolls on here are lame and need to get a life.