Read 1619 times

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
Re: The Stuff People Throw Away
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2022, 09:12:59 am »
One on the outskirts of Saint John, NB in 1999 was cheep - sold during my divorce in 2004 for the same I bought it for.  $64000. It was an old ďgrandma houseĒ. Sold it to a couple who worked at the hardware store.

The other was in St Stephen, NB, purchased in 2008 with Mrs 2.0 for $90k, sold at a loss in 2016 after tenants wrecked it. This was an old 4+ bedroom farm house. Nice old house in a poor town.

Okay, I'm familiar with both places. dad was from Lakeburn and mom was from Sussex.

I had 2 houses in Timberlea just outside of Halifax: bought the first for 90K sold for 95K, built the second for 130K and sold for 150K
bought a house in Porter's Lake NS with 178' of frontage for 153KL and sold it for 210K

bought a house in Calgary for 150K and sold it for 175K and bought another for 175K and gave it to the ex when I split for Asia. She gave me half of the net worth

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2022, 04:05:15 am »
When I lived in Goyang/Seoul, you could find perfect furniture outside of apartment buildings. Electronics including stereos and game systems were occasionally found as well.  When the PS4 came out lots of PS3 consoles were tossed in perfect working conditions. In the trash. The day after holidays you could find unopened gift sets in the trash.

I think itís a space issue in Korea and over buying.

In Canada people seem to donate more to charities and if you find something itís usually trashed.

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2022, 09:17:18 am »
I never find anything worthwhile in my neighborhood. They're either in piss-poor condition, or they're really cheap and gaudy.

But it's also possible that all of the good stuff gets grabbed before I can ever see them. I know that whenever I put something outside, it's often gone within 30 minutes. It's why I never have to buy one of those stickers, lol.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2022, 09:48:56 am »
When I lived in Goyang/Seoul, you could find perfect furniture outside of apartment buildings. Electronics including stereos and game systems were occasionally found as well.  When the PS4 came out lots of PS3 consoles were tossed in perfect working conditions. In the trash. The day after holidays you could find unopened gift sets in the trash.

I think itís a space issue in Korea and over buying.

In Canada people seem to donate more to charities and if you find something itís usually trashed.

When I left Korea and had a 1 bedroom apartment fully furnished. The stuff wasn't worthy of Buckingham palace but it was a long way from the junk pile too.

I asked the landlord if he wanted it all for free. Then he could charge a bit more and rent it as fully furnished. he said no. Okay, so I went to a couple of churches including the Catholic church and asked if they wanted it all for free. No thanks.

So I left it on the side of the road piece by piece over several nights. Everything got snatched up immediately.

I do not understand why all those folks said no. Especially churches which could donate it to poor people.

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2022, 10:08:42 am »
When I left Korea and had a 1 bedroom apartment fully furnished. The stuff wasn't worthy of Buckingham palace but it was a long way from the junk pile too.

I asked the landlord if he wanted it all for free. Then he could charge a bit more and rent it as fully furnished. he said no. Okay, so I went to a couple of churches including the Catholic church and asked if they wanted it all for free. No thanks.

So I left it on the side of the road piece by piece over several nights. Everything got snatched up immediately.

I do not understand why all those folks said no. Especially churches which could donate it to poor people.

Someone in my family passed 2 years ago back home. There was a house full of furniture, clothes etc. Nothing awesome but plenty of perfectly usable stuff for those in need. Red Cross and some other organizations were contacted to see if they need anything. They said they take only brand new furniture and clothes. Not only that, but they don't even come to pick it up. Wtf is wrong with them?
In the end, most stuff was given away through local facebook groups.
''Jealous of those who make more, have a 2 bedroom apartment to live in, ride a GIANT mountain bike, and drive a car that gets them around?  Well, I can't help myself.  It's too bad you are jealous of me for you having less. I am at least able to say I am living better than most ESLers '' hangook77

• Bakeacake
  • Super Waygook

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2022, 01:31:47 pm »
girlfriend threw away a pair of those clear boots yesterday.  255 size.  never worn.  they were snatched up within 10 mins. I would never take used shoes...  even if it looked like they were never used

• Rye
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2022, 03:43:11 pm
    • A side street near Cheongju
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2022, 03:21:03 pm »
girlfriend threw away a pair of those clear boots yesterday.  255 size.  never worn.  they were snatched up within 10 mins. I would never take used shoes...  even if it looked like they were never used

I wish my wife would! I read your post and went and counted her shoes. 32 pairs of shoes and sandals, plus 9 pairs of leather boots. I also know there are another 5 pair of gumboots in the shed  :shocked:. I have a total of 5 pairs for the outdoors. 

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2022, 05:13:24 pm »
3 electric guitars and 2 electric bass guitars.  they were all in soft cases. One fender bass was valued at 1200$ and One Jacskon Electric was valued at 900$.   I sold them all over the next month for 800, 500, 400, 200, 200. made $2100 bucks!

Where was this find?

Standard outdoor trash area?

• Bakeacake
  • Super Waygook

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2022, 07:08:51 pm »
Where was this find?

Standard outdoor trash area?

they were in a pile of other trash outside of a construction fence.  it seemed to be where people were piling their trash from several of the nearby buildings

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2022, 07:40:05 pm »
Why would someone throw away such high end guitars? Accidentally pitched?

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2022, 02:44:37 am »
I nearly cried the first time i took out the garbage in South Korea. It was December of 2002, a Sunday night, and there was a gorgeous old clothes cabinet in dark solid wood, without a scratch on it other than a scuff mark on one leg.  It had a yellow sticker on it. I tried to pick it up but it was solid wood, and needed two people. My apartment was on the rooftop of a 4-floor building with no elevator so even if newbie myself could round up one or two others to help, it'd have been a pig to get up there. It was an inanimate object so I said forget about it. But convos like this one brings memories back.
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

more
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2022, 03:07:40 am »
End note: i heard my first Korean magpie that day, and laughed: How different they sound here than back home! I have decades since lost that sensitivity - i think Korean magpies' sounds are normal - but I, after two COVID19 down years, am re-igniting my discovery spirit!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 03:09:18 am by VanIslander »
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• Adel
  • The Legend

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2022, 05:05:28 am »
Here's what they sound like around our way. Our front and rear garden is full of them.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYEYc8Ge3nw

Then there's the Murray Magpie or Piping Shrike. They sound betting working as a duet.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzbZhWzJlGg

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

more
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2022, 05:14:06 am »
Here's what they sound like around our way. Our front and rear garden is full of them.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYEYc8Ge3nw
Nice!

It's so unlike in Canada: https://youtu.be/jYLL7tqZWXc

Languages vary by region and species.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 05:18:50 am by VanIslander »