Read 4559 times

Re: Thailand Legalizes Marijuana - Giddy Up!
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2022, 10:03:54 am »
I can tell you the average Filipino is way happier than some Koreans and the like.
I'm not here to pick a fight, but this is inherently true and impossible to argue, haha.

« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2022, 11:34:55 am »
I'm not here to pick a fight, but this is inherently true and impossible to argue, haha.
That well appears to be the case.

But then again, if one were raising a family, while Korea may not be ideal, I doubt many of us would choose the rural/urban situation many Filipinos are living in. In other words, happiness doesn't build quality educational facilities, provide healthcare, ensure safety from crime, and other concrete things that economic development offers.

It would also be interesting to see if there's an economic element within Filipino society when it comes to happiness- are rich and upper-middle class Filipinos as happy as their poor and working class counterparts?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 11:36:40 am by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2022, 12:21:44 pm »
A person who goes down there to get f*cked up and bust a nut isn't doing it to help the locals, they're doing it to help themselves. [/b]

Win-win, baby. Win-win.......

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Sierra Leone
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2022, 12:50:04 pm »
Win-win, baby. Win-win.......

You're wasting your breath.

« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2022, 12:53:40 pm »
Now, you must remember a lot of foreigners there and I suppose in Thailand too, make a huge contribution to improving the lot of the locals. What do I mean by that? Well, where I live there are many upmarket resorts and mostly owned by rich Filipinos who pay their workers less than minimum wage, while on the other hand the resorts owned by foreigners pay way above the minimum wage and thus the locals way prefer to work for foreigners. That's a positive contribution made by foreigners living there.
Yeah, that's the reason those corporate resorts are there- To uplift the Filipino people.

"Aren't I such a good guy? My multimillion dollar corporation is paying an extra 10 cents above minimum wage. I'm a real philanthropist!"

As for me, I am not rich enough to own a resort, so I contribute in other ways like if I hire someone to do work for me, I pay above average wages and are far less demanding than the rich locals. In the Philippines there are hundreds if not thousands of sari-sari stores (mom and pop stores) and the one closest to my house is where we buy a lot of our daily requirements. We are thus supporting the locals and not the rich Filipino businessmen. When I go to buy things, I often see impoverished kids with a couple of pesos buying a little rice and dried fish and I often pay for that for them and add some candy for them. I am NOT saying this to get people to think I am great, it is just to illustrate a point.
Dude are you actually trying to big yourself up for buying sh*t from a store? "Look at how much I support the locals- I buy a Pepsi at the local corner store, not like that evil local businessman who employs 2,000 people at his factory. He doesn't help anyone with his business and spending."

you do actually have to visit a place before you can comment despite your saying to the contrary. Looking at stats is NOT a true picture.
Right, the stats are lying. The REAL story is some NET who describes the Gangnam Station area as some sort of zone for "the elite" and the alley behind the CGV there, where his one-room hovel was as some sort of "luxury neighborhood" that also was apparently filled with condoms like they were landmines, as though none of us had ever been to the Gangnam Station area for ourselves and thus didn't know what the conditions were.

Yeah, that's a reliable source vs. people who study this sh*t for a living.

So get off your pedestal
Dude, the only person on a pedestal is the person who lies to themselves that they're in the Philippines for the benefit of the Filipinos, not themselves and that their presence is some sort of beacon to the lowly brown people huddled around them.

like if I hire someone to do work for me, I pay above average wages
Congrats you pay a $1.25 an hour instead of a $1.00. Really generous of you.

Or, you know, you could live in Korea and pay someone W30,000-50,000/hr. to do some work for you (or even 15,000). You know, enough so that they can afford rent and to take a vacation to the Philippines or Thailand.  I mean, you're making such a big deal about helping people, contributing to the economy, and so on.

But you're not doing that. Why? Because you aren't there to help people, you're there to help yourself. Stop acting like some of the side benefits you bring are in any way intentional or out of some noble character.

« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2022, 12:57:09 pm »
You're wasting your breath.

Uhm, I think CO2, given his postings and genuine view of the world, was probably making a really dry and sarcastic observations of precisely the kind of people who think a tourist paying a subsistence prostitute for sex is a "win-win" and such a world as a whole.

If you do think that's a "win-win" then you're really messed up as a person.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 01:02:40 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2022, 12:59:19 pm »
I will defend confusedsaffer on this- while he does have some "White Man's Burden" elements to what he's writing and other delusional parts, at the end of the day, at least he's highlighting charitable actions like giving to the hungry, trying to do right on wages, disaster relief, etc.

For all the roughness with some of the stuff he said, the core there is really sweet and kind, sort of. I mean the primary motivation isn't charity and he needs to be honest with himself and us about that, but at least it IS a motivation once on the scene.  Like "I didn't come here to give and help, but that sure as sh*t won't stop me from helping out if I see something bad" which is perfectly fine, just please try and acknowledge the self-interest part as well.

That's lightyears of difference vs. "I'm helping the local economy by buying hookers."
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 01:01:56 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2022, 01:05:18 am »
Thailand is a savvy Kingdom.

It has never been occupied, playing geopolitics as well as Ethiopia has.

Strategy: Find a way to satisfy foreigners while getting them to GTFO asap, smiles galore.

The Brits, French & Dutch owned neighbors but let Siam stand.

A post-COVID strategy of continuing its medical tourism and going all-in on drug tourism (gasp! too on the nose), is a Thai survival strategy.

Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2022, 04:48:51 am »
Why people are enamored (outside of natural beauty) in the sense of wanting live there in leisure (rather than live there in assistance) of a place where a considerable number of people live in abject poverty to where the sex trade is so rampant.

Seems like the power-money imbalance is exactly what the appeal is. You see this in how they write about the places- it's always how it's good for them, never about the conditions the locals are living in. "Thailand is a great country because there's lots of cheap hookers and legal drugs! Other countries should be like them!"  :rolleyes:
Yep. I only visited Thailand once and that was to get a diver's certification. Went straight to the island and back.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2022, 04:49:42 am »
You guys posting all your personal information shouldn't forget that LI is collecting it.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2022, 11:58:47 am »
  I was surprised no mod picked up at that "lowly brown people" remark.  And you're the guy calling out others as racist and bigoted. 

I urge you to read a Saki story called Excepting Mrs. Pentherby to better understand.

http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/ExceMrs.shtml

• Augustiner
  • Expert Waygook

• December 06, 2021, 01:18:06 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2022, 01:39:40 pm »
I urge you to read a Saki story called Excepting Mrs. Pentherby to better understand.

http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/ExceMrs.shtml

That was a good and enlightening read.

Mods, what the hell just happened?  You're compensating for letting Marti slide that racist comment through while trying to cloak it as satire by deleting a whole slew of posts that weren't even touching on that but had stayed within the framework of the conversation?  Give yourselves a pat on the back. 

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Sierra Leone
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2022, 07:53:12 pm »
Way to go you guys. You totally gnarled my buzz.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2022, 06:27:09 am »
Another thread successfully derailed by Marti due to his compulsion to argue about a subject he knows nothing about.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2022, 06:48:57 am »
Another thread successfully derailed by Marti due to his compulsion to argue about a subject he knows nothing about.

That's why he's never invited parties or got to hang out with black kids.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

more
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2022, 03:07:31 am »
Instead of looking bleary-eyed on the beach (is this supposed to be attractive?), skip the isles and go up north and ride an elephant through the jungle and zip line through the trees and eat an awesome Thai curry.

Treat yourself to a month in Changmai.
It's a world of difference from the southern isles.

I was only twice offered weed. I politely refused. I would have likely assented if I'd been bored, but no way in hell can a Canadian spend a month in Changmai and be bored. It's just too ... different.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 03:11:19 am by VanIslander »
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• Adel
  • The Legend

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2022, 05:30:19 am »
Instead of looking bleary-eyed on the beach (is this supposed to be attractive?), skip the isles and go up north and ride an elephant through the jungle and zip line through the trees and eat an awesome Thai curry.

Treat yourself to a month in Changmai.
It's a world of difference from the southern isles.

I was only twice offered weed. I politely refused. I would have likely assented if I'd been bored, but no way in hell can a Canadian spend a month in Changmai and be bored. It's just too ... different.

Gimme bleary eyed beaches any day. I would've been to Thailand about four time over the last 30's years. However, it's shame what's happened to some of the islands like Koh Tao though. It used to be such a beautiful relatively unspoiled spot but the last time I was there, the overdevelopment had ruined the place.  Sairee Beach looked and smelt like a open sewer.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

more
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2022, 01:59:15 pm »
Gimme bleary eyed beaches any day. I would've been to Thailand about four time over the last 30's years. However, it's shame what's happened to some of the islands like Koh Tao though. It used to be such a beautiful relatively unspoiled spot but the last time I was there, the overdevelopment had ruined the place.  Sairee Beach looked and smelt like a open sewer.
Your story is a herald for the North.

• Adel
  • The Legend

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2022, 04:45:13 pm »
Your story is a herald for the North.

I'll plead Marti on the North!  :laugh:

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

more
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2022, 05:01:07 pm »
I'll plead Marti on the North!  :laugh:
Tru dat. I went to two towns up there. He cycled every village, it seems.