Read 708 times

• Rye
  • Super Waygook

• March 20, 2022, 03:43:11 pm
    • A side street near Cheongju
Embarrassing Childhood Stuff
« on: May 27, 2022, 09:58:02 am »
I woke up this morning and had the old Monkee's TV program theme song in my head. You know the one...

'Here we come, walking down the street..we get the funniest looks from everyone we meet..hey, hey, we're the monkees.

Okay, you know it. Anyway, on TV the extended version finishes with '...we may be comin to your town.'

I spent a couple of years waiting for them to arrive. They never did!  :huh:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in the 60's, swerving towards girls on your bike, then swerving away at the last moment was considered cool. My mate and I were riding down the footpath and a couple of girls were walking towards us. My mate speed up and did the old swerve thing to perfection. The girls froze and screamed. Ha! My turn. Going like the clappers, I swerved in and as I was swerving out, my bike went over on the shingle. I skidded along, skin peeling off with gravel rash. I sat there, bleeding and tangled up with my bike, and the two girls were now in fits, holding each other as tears rolled down their faces. My mate was doing the same. Yep, never did that again  :-[ :-[

Edit: Changed the title and spelling
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 03:01:33 pm by Rye »

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
Re: Childhood Stuff-ups
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 10:15:19 am »
My friend and I used to play chicken on our bikes by racing to a narrow bridge that only one at a time could cross. Chicken was the guy that pulled out at the last moment. Once we did it and I beat my friend to the bridge and while flying at break neck speed across the bridge I turned around and laughed at him. My handlebar caught in the diamond mesh fencing of the bridge and I went flying, painful experience but we kept on doing it anyway. I guess we were just crazy, but we were tough, not like many of the kids today who get wrapped in cotton wool by their parents.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• Rye
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 10:27:57 am »
Haha...good one! Yeah, Kids were tough. My boys (students) are near tears when they ask for a band-aid on a barely visible abrasion. Not that you need blood for it to hurt...but still.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 12:08:21 pm »
@Rye, did you ever hook up with those girls later?   ;D ;D

My boys (students) are near tears when they ask for a band-aid on a barely visible abrasion.

It is amazing how soft kids are today. Recently a girl arrived in my class in a wheelchair and her leg in plaster. I thought her leg was broken. The next lesson she arrived on crutches sans plaster. I asked what happened, she told me she twisted her ankle. My gosh, imagine having your leg in plaster for a couple of days for a sprained ankle.   :shocked:

The kids at my school recently had the flu vaccine and the amount of wailing and goings home afterwards was just amazing. Some of my Grade 6 boys came to class and told my COT they were in such pain they just wanted to put their heads on the table. Unbelievable and what's more she allowed it.

I don't think we even had band-aids in our house, if you got a cut or scrape, YOU not your mom put Dettol on it, dabbed some red stuff called mercurochrome on the wound and went back out and played with your mates.  Sorry to say, kids these days are soft.

Heck in primary school we played rugby barefoot and kicked that ball hard as people that had shoes on.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Re: Embarrassing Childhood Stuff
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 12:50:34 pm »

I spent a couple of years waiting for them to arrive. They never did!  :huh:
Wasn't that also a thing in a Simpsons or Seinfeld episode?

I imagine quite a few kids went through that.

• Rye
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 12:56:44 pm »
Wasn't that also a thing in a Simpsons or Seinfeld episode?

I imagine quite a few kids went through that.

I'm not sure Marti. You know, now that you mention it, this is the first time that it has ever occurred to me. If I thought it, others must have. Now I feel doubly stupid  :-[ Cheers!  ;D

• Augustiner
  • Super Waygook

• December 06, 2021, 01:18:06 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 02:35:03 pm »
I woke up this morning and had the old Monkey's TV program theme song in my head. You know the one...

'Here we come, walking down the street..we get the funniest looks from everyone we meet..hey, hey, we're the monkeys.

Sorry for your disappointment as a child, but just so you know, you were futiley waiting for The Monkees.

• Rye
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2022, 02:58:17 pm »
Sorry for your disappointment as a child, but just so you know, you were futiley waiting for The Monkees.

Ah Jesus, I did it again!  This is turning out to be a truly humiliating day. I'd best pack up for the weekend. Next thing I'll be talking about the Beetles.

mistake corrected  8)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 03:03:21 pm by Rye »

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2022, 03:09:32 pm »
Ah Jesus, I did it again!  This is turning out to be a truly humiliating day. I'd best pack up for the weekend. Next thing I'll be talking about the Beetles.

mistake corrected  8)

Or, say, the Rutles.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2022, 09:53:18 pm »
I clotheshanged a jerk who unwisely decided to rush me one more time after he already drew blood on his previous pass: i feel sorry for him now because i know the strongest guys in grade school are aware of their limits.
(I was the 6'1 200 lbs. tight end on the high school football team. My best bud since elementary school was 6'3 230 lbs. Russell, the team's starting right tackle.)

The undisputed toughest guy in school (he fought anyone anytime and yet was in class a nice guy) made a bet with me: a case of beer. Not cash we agreed: beer. He was also a linebacker on my high school football team, so i knew he'd pay up. We bet on which team would win the 1987 Grey Cup Canadian football championship game. I won. - Damon Allen at quarterback led Edmonton over Toronto 38-36, he and Warren Moon leading all football QBs ever, including the NFL, in yards until well into this century (2011).

I didn't expect the tough guy to deliver. He cornered me at my locker, sighed, then said sorry but he couldn't give me beer because he has been in too much trouble (being expelled was a real threat). I nodded. Then he surprisingly shoved ten bucks into my hand (the equivalent of the case of beer he demanded i deliver if he had won - he knew I would've been able to deliver cuz he knew my dad.)

I realize now, over a quarter century later, that the reason why he never punched me (he loved to fight and push around people) was not because my best bud was big (Russ was a teddy bear, though in honors math - and D&D. Get it), but because of my dad. During a game, on a hot summer day more than once, he showed up in his truck with multiple watermelons and a machete to chop them up in front of us, making the orange-slice providing moms frown. My dad looked like Clint Eastwood. He had intense eyes.

In my last year of high school we went to a movie (which he left three or four times to smoke in the lobby: a chain smoker) and on the way home two twentysomething men were kicking a man on the ground in front of a bar. My 56-year-old dad told me to stay in the truck. He went across the street and put both men on the ground. The police came. 20 minutes later my dad returned with blood on his right temple. We went home. It was never spoken about again.

I had nightmares about my father killing people. I have only seen him kill fish, rabbits, deer and a bear, and he made me slit the throats of two geese.

But I never doubted his help if i would get into trouble anywhere. I didn't realize how much he was my rock until after he passed at age 77 in 2008. Over the rest of 2008 & 2009 I was as wired up as Michael Douglas in Falling Down. 

As a vegetarian-inclined (previous 2-year vegan), plant-based consumer, I am embarrassed by my family's hunting history.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 03:59:27 am by VanIslander »

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2022, 10:18:03 pm »
As a meatatarian-inclined (previous 2-year salmon sausage eater), meat-based consumer, I am embarrassed by my family's gardening history.
Join the WhenInRome Fan Club!
Shout out to Mr. DeMartino... the first member. Thank you my son! ;)

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2022, 07:58:26 am »
      When I was in highschool, I decided to dye my hair. I decided to go with a nice light brown. Turned my hair ash-gray for some reason. Pretty bizarre.
      Not being terribly bright, I decided a few months later to try again but this time dye my hair black. Like jet black but with some nice raven highlights.
I washed it out too soon I guess, because only the highlights stayed in: my hair was a brilliant, scintillating blue. This was kinda neat, but also sucked because I had a job interview the next day.
     Re-dyed my a hair a flat black a few days later and it was all good, but I was teased about it for quite a while afterwards lol.
     I've since learned that my hair doesn't take dye all that well.

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2022, 12:15:34 pm »
I've got some scars because of the stupid shit I'd get up to as a kid. I think the worst was when my parents made me wear dress shoes to church, but I didn't let that stop me from trying to scale the 10 ft. rock wall behind the church with all of the other kids. I made it to the top, but I slipped almost immediately after trying to stand up, and my right leg raked across the wall as I fell. I ended up with some really deep gashes starting from my ankle and going all the way up to my knee, had to get it all stitched up. My mom wasn't too happy with me, but at the time I thought it was cool because it looked like I'd been clawed by a cougar. The scars I was left with were pretty obvious and gnarly for a few years, but you can barely see them now -- only if the light is hitting them just right.

My childhood is riddled with those types of injuries and a couple of concussions.

Never broke a bone, though. No, that didn't happen until I hit adulthood when all I was doing was running to class.  >:(

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2022, 12:34:19 pm »
I have no embarassing evidence from my childhood.  All those nude young boy pics got those parts scratched out as an older 10 or 11 year old boy.  Mom was pissed at the time but it had to be done.  Now, nothing incriminates me. 
I put this quote under my profile because D.L. Orean is jealous of me.  He quotes my every word like gospel and stalks my every move online.  He even puts fake quotes under his profile.  How lame is that?  He must be real ugly if he's going to such great lengths to comment on my own appearance....

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2022, 12:38:07 pm »
All those nude young boy pics got those parts scratched out as an older 10 or 11 year old boy. 

My dad sold all mine. No idea where they are now.

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2022, 12:39:04 pm »
I have no embarassing evidence from my childhood.  All those nude young boy pics got those parts scratched out as an older 10 or 11 year old boy.  Mom was pissed at the time but it had to be done.  Now, nothing incriminates me.

And for what crime would these pictures have incriminated you?
"I put quite a few pics online and got rated anywhere from 8.2 to 9.6 by lots of chicks. Of course, I can't claim to have the same looks now though Koreans are always saying "handsome" - hangook77

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2022, 12:46:16 pm »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cry: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Join the WhenInRome Fan Club!
Shout out to Mr. DeMartino... the first member. Thank you my son! ;)

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2022, 12:56:45 pm »
And for what crime would these pictures have incriminated you?

No crime, just embarrassing to have your toddler pee pee pics all over the place or at least that's how 10 to 13 year old me felt.
I put this quote under my profile because D.L. Orean is jealous of me.  He quotes my every word like gospel and stalks my every move online.  He even puts fake quotes under his profile.  How lame is that?  He must be real ugly if he's going to such great lengths to comment on my own appearance....

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2022, 12:57:13 pm »

Your parents got issues.....    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

• Rye
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2022, 01:36:00 pm »
I jumped off the chicken coup roof with my mother's parasol. Mary Poppins could do it, so I figured it was all good. Nope, crashed straight to the ground. Lay in a heap winded, for a time.