Read 1788 times

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
Re: Walmart Canada pays more that most hagwons
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2022, 11:18:48 pm »
$240 u.s. (300,000 won) for your own place (bigger than an officetel) in Busan and Daegu. I've been to several of them. Inside metro Seoul I dunno but hear absurd differences there.

• KoreaBoo
  • Expert Waygook

• May 25, 2014, 04:00:42 pm
    • Vancouver Island
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2022, 11:32:55 pm »
Just saw this now.  What are you doing now jobwise? 

One of my cousins drives trucks in Alberta.  He took a course 10 years back.  He makes more than 100K a year.  He lives in Luduc and pays 1200 for a 3 bedroom nice apartment or home, I think he said.  Don't tempt me once corona is done.  Ha ha. 

I'm a Captain in the RCAF now.  I cannot state enough how much more satisfying, meaningful, and interesting the work is in this career path. 

If  you have the chance to return to a proper career...don't let the ESL trap (hogwans & PS) keep you in.

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2022, 12:00:05 pm »
You know, hanging round TEFL sites after you've left TEFL to sh-t on TEFL is not a good look. Though it's a very popular one judging by the numbers of people who do it on reddit. Have enough confidence in your own choice of career to negate the need to simultaneously cr-p on others'.  And spare us the 'I'm just trying to help others by making them see reality' type response.

Those countries always paid low and advertise that they pay low.  There's no recruiters promising good money. 
I put this quote under my profile because D.L. Orean is jealous of me.  He quotes my every word like gospel and stalks my every move online.  He even puts fake quotes under his profile.  How lame is that?  He must be real ugly if he's going to such great lengths to comment on my own appearance....

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2022, 12:05:38 pm »
I'm a Captain in the RCAF now.  I cannot state enough how much more satisfying, meaningful, and interesting the work is in this career path. 

If  you have the chance to return to a proper career...don't let the ESL trap (hogwans & PS) keep you in.

Good for you.  Though you prob still have to be young enough to jump to it.  I wish I had of done it when I was young and got my 20 years in.  I wish it now I mean. 

Most definately, once corona is done I will look.  I had made above average which was okay until now.  Not getting rich or anything but surviving.  Previous cheaper cost of living made it okay.  I could pay off student loans and such.  Plus I do like kids and their silly antics.  So, I wasn't in hate of the job or anything.  But we are smart to give advice to new teachers to reconsider doing something else long term.  It doesn't pay anymore like it did. 
I put this quote under my profile because D.L. Orean is jealous of me.  He quotes my every word like gospel and stalks my every move online.  He even puts fake quotes under his profile.  How lame is that?  He must be real ugly if he's going to such great lengths to comment on my own appearance....

• KoreaBoo
  • Expert Waygook

• Vancouver Island
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2022, 11:29:30 pm »
Good for you.  Though you prob still have to be young enough to jump to it.  I wish I had of done it when I was young and got my 20 years in.  I wish it now I mean. 

Most definitely, once corona is done I will look.  I had made above average which was okay until now.  Not getting rich or anything but surviving.  Previous cheaper costs of living made it okay.  I could pay off student loans and such.  Plus I do like kids and their silly antics.  So, I didn't hate the job or anything.  But we are smart to give advice to new teachers to reconsider doing something else long-term.  It doesn't pay anymore as it did. 

In Canada, it is your fitness level that matters, not your age.   I entered basic when I had just turned 47.  A week after I had left Korea, I was in basic with the rank of Lieutenant (granted due to my trade and education), 14 hours jet-lagged, and shining boots with people 25 years younger than me wondering 'what have I done?!?!!'.   Even when doing the hard stuff, it was fun because for me.  If you do cardio and exercise a lot (I do about 10k cycling a year), you will be fine.  Even the obstacle courses where you have to get over that wall were quite easy for me.  I have had zero issues crushing people 25 years younger than me in the fitness tests and tasks.  I am contracted until I am 60 and can stay in till 65 when I am compulsorily retired.  Though people get hurt and are put under work restrictions due to their injuries, the Forces in Canada really try hard to retain their personnel.  It is a fantastic organization to work for.   It is especially easier when you are older since you don't make the same mistakes and know when to push compared to the 20-somethings who are constantly running around in full headless-chicken mode.

You mentioned your 20 years ( I am assuming you need this for a  pension).  In the CAF, you need 10 years to qualify for a pension.  The pension is 2% of your best 5 years salary average x number of years of service.  When I am nearing 60, I'll be near 150k @ my current rank.  If I go Major in 3 to 4 years, it will be higher.  So I can collect with  13-18 years of pension with 26-36% of a min of 150k/yr + CPP + OAS which puts me around $57 - 72k per year between 13 and 18 years of service total pensions that are indexed to inflation.

It's very much a win/win if you think about it.

:)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 12:42:56 am by KoreaBoo »

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Sierra Leone
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2022, 11:12:55 am »
Here's another random job posting:

FOR ONLY THOSE IN KOREA
BEVERAGE FACTORY
Salary is 3,500,000won
Free food twice a day
And free room for each worker
Day shift - Monday - Friday 8am - 6pm work hours
Night shift- Monday - Friday 10pm- 5am
Saturday and Sunday’s off work
Any visa type can Apply
Non visa type can Apply
For both MALE AND FEMALE
Work locations are ; Seoul , dongdaemun, itaewon, suwon, busan, gwangju, jeju, gimpo, iksan, Ansan Daegu, gyeongsan, incheon
Inbox me here on messenger
Inbox manager on WhatsApp ‪+82 10‑5965‑3360‬

8am-6pm: 10 hours minus breaks and lunch, cool
M-F: Nice
3.5M: Sweet

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2250490561840349

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2022, 11:48:56 am »
8am to 6pm ? THAT'S 10 hours!

I have spent two decades teaching 4pm-8pm, some years plus or minus a year. 4 to 5 hours.

Night shift? GTFOH.

Free room? Does that mean a whole spacious apartment to yourself? I have never accepted a job in an officetel or with shared housing. If you like it, good on you. "Free room" is suspect in meaning (e.g., floor of a shared bedroom).

A suggestion: Pay the cost it takes to visit, meet the people, see the classroom and accommodations BEFORE accepting a job (if you're already in the country).

I got a Jeju job in 2009 but didn't accept the offer until I paid to fly from the mainland and met the director, saw the apartment, was walked through the academy, saw my classroom, schedule and class list. In the end, i  signed and later re-signed for 6 more years (dang made 3.2 mill with the yearly upgrades; they replaced me eventually with a newbie at 2.2).

Qualitatively speaking:

Some classes I'd teach for free.
Most classes are a JOY (make my day).

Bottling drinks in a factory?
It's a recipe for suicide.

To explain: My dad's friend's son was a metalworker in a factory and made a lot of money. He drove a sports car and he was praised by my dad's friends. I was in grad school studying Philosophy (a subject my dad didn't respect much: he was an educated engineer-turned-mechanic who thought philosophers were, as he never said but the Brits sum up, wankers). My dad pointed at him as an example of a path i should follow. OMG, I thought. I said "His job is boring, his hobby is filling out lottery forms for local contests, he has no girlfriend, he is awkward everywhere." I thought him either dumb or suicidal. A year later he put a bullet through his brain and when i learned of it through my dad, i didn't need to say "I told you so". I just nodded. And he was never discussed again.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 12:09:32 pm by VanIslander »

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2022, 01:01:18 pm »
Here's another random job posting:

FOR ONLY THOSE IN KOREA
BEVERAGE FACTORY
Salary is 3,500,000won
Free food twice a day
And free room for each worker
Day shift - Monday - Friday 8am - 6pm work hours
Night shift- Monday - Friday 10pm- 5am
Saturday and Sunday’s off work
Any visa type can Apply
Non visa type can Apply
For both MALE AND FEMALE
Work locations are ; Seoul , dongdaemun, itaewon, suwon, busan, gwangju, jeju, gimpo, iksan, Ansan Daegu, gyeongsan, incheon
Inbox me here on messenger
Inbox manager on WhatsApp ‪+82 10‑5965‑3360‬

8am-6pm: 10 hours minus breaks and lunch, cool
M-F: Nice
3.5M: Sweet

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2250490561840349

Funny, if you go on the UK teaching reddit you'll find state school teachers talking about exactly the same thing. How they get paid minimum wage when you take the hours they work into account, they know people who work at Amazon who make more etc..

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Sierra Leone
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2022, 02:12:08 pm »

To explain: My dad's friend's son was a metalworker in a factory and made a lot of money. He drove a sports car and he was praised by my dad's friends. I was in grad school studying Philosophy (a subject my dad didn't respect much: he was an educated engineer-turned-mechanic who thought philosophers were, as he never said but the Brits sum up, wankers). My dad pointed at him as an example of a path i should follow. OMG, I thought. I said "His job is boring, his hobby is filling out lottery forms for local contests, he has no girlfriend, he is awkward everywhere." I thought him either dumb or suicidal. A year later he put a bullet through his brain and when i learned of it through my dad, i didn't need to say "I told you so". I just nodded. And he was never discussed again.

It doesn't matter how many times you delete and censor my post, your
argument is still stupid. One mentally deranged individual who caps
themself explains or supports nothing.

Are you going to delete this again?????

I seriously think mods should not be making posts. It is a clear conflict of interest and makes a joke of being objective.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 02:16:50 pm by SPQR »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2022, 03:11:39 pm »
This time you state: "Your argument is stupid."
You don't here insult individuals.
You can attack an opinion all day long.
Free speech is heralded. :)

To the topic: Woodward's was Canada's equivalent to Walmart ($1.49 Tuesday). I as a college student made a quick $200 for two nights of inventory counts back when the country was humming.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 09:19:10 pm by VanIslander »

• Augustiner
  • Super Waygook

• December 06, 2021, 01:18:06 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2022, 07:59:20 am »

Free speech is heralded. :)

To the topic: Woodward's was Canada's equivalent to Walmart ($1.49 Tuesday). I as a college student made a quick $200 for two nights of inventory counts back when the country was humming.

Hmm...that belief in free speech doesn't come across too much when you delete so many posts on a whim that don't go against the TOS.  I had the impression you were staunchly against other's free speech, but very much in favour of your own.  I was surprised to read the above.

Never heard of Woodward's, but I'd say Woolco was the Canadian equivalent of Walmart back in my neck of the woods. 

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2022, 10:36:49 am »
In Canada, it is your fitness level that matters, not your age.   I entered basic when I had just turned 47.  A week after I had left Korea, I was in basic with the rank of Lieutenant (granted due to my trade and education), 14 hours jet-lagged, and shining boots with people 25 years younger than me wondering 'what have I done?!?!!'.   Even when doing the hard stuff, it was fun because for me.  If you do cardio and exercise a lot (I do about 10k cycling a year), you will be fine.  Even the obstacle courses where you have to get over that wall were quite easy for me.  I have had zero issues crushing people 25 years younger than me in the fitness tests and tasks.  I am contracted until I am 60 and can stay in till 65 when I am compulsorily retired.  Though people get hurt and are put under work restrictions due to their injuries, the Forces in Canada really try hard to retain their personnel.  It is a fantastic organization to work for.   It is especially easier when you are older since you don't make the same mistakes and know when to push compared to the 20-somethings who are constantly running around in full headless-chicken mode.

You mentioned your 20 years ( I am assuming you need this for a  pension).  In the CAF, you need 10 years to qualify for a pension.  The pension is 2% of your best 5 years salary average x number of years of service.  When I am nearing 60, I'll be near 150k @ my current rank.  If I go Major in 3 to 4 years, it will be higher.  So I can collect with  13-18 years of pension with 26-36% of a min of 150k/yr + CPP + OAS which puts me around $57 - 72k per year between 13 and 18 years of service total pensions that are indexed to inflation.

It's very much a win/win if you think about it.

:)

Seriously, they accepted you at 47?  Wow!  That I did not know.  So, at 54 you could theoretically go for 10 or 11 years and get a pension?  I am younger than this but just curious. 

• KoreaBoo
  • Expert Waygook

• Vancouver Island
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2022, 10:37:54 pm »
It's not just doing infrantry that is part of being the forces.  Dentists, nurses, nutritionists, finance, Padres....it's a huge mix.

They also let  you serve starting @ 57 if you are able to meet the physical and fitness requirements.  The standards are universal regardless of your trade (you are given time every day to work out on your schedule).   So if you are obese, they will get you into shape and pay you while doing it.

And yes...if you serve 10 years, you will get a pension.  If you serve less than 10, they will return your pension + matching contributions.   I pay about 1.2M/mo for pension for my military pension + 650ish/k for CPP.  It adds up, but there is a long-term goal to this.

https://forces.ca/en/how-to-join/
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 10:42:01 pm by KoreaBoo »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2022, 02:21:20 am »

That is tempting as a HARD LEFT TURN. lol. Doing something you never thought you would but wtfn?

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2022, 01:24:03 am »

That is tempting as a HARD LEFT TURN. lol. Doing something you never thought you would but wtfn?

Got to make money lots of people take hard left or right turns. Some succeed and some fail!

Hell korea was a hard left turn for most people who came.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2022, 06:53:45 am »
I knew a captain in the Canadian Navy while in SK. He was at the time the head of the UN forces in Korea. He seemed to do very well financially, owning three expensive motorcycles among other things. Curious, I asked another Canadian who said the military there paid well, in his opinion because not many people were interested in joining up.

• Augustiner
  • Super Waygook

• December 06, 2021, 01:18:06 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2022, 07:37:09 am »
I knew a captain in the Canadian Navy while in SK. He was at the time the head of the UN forces in Korea. He seemed to do very well financially, owning three expensive motorcycles among other things. Curious, I asked another Canadian who said the military there paid well, in his opinion because not many people were interested in joining up.

I guess it depends on your background and what branch of the military you go into.  My cousin joined up about ten years ago and was pretty excited.  I don't think he even finished high school.  He did his training in Quebec and said the anti English sentiment among the higher ups was pretty open.  He was based in Shiloh, Manitoba and they all hated it.  He also said the locals despised the military guys.  Pay was sh*t and they had a really hard time with retention.  At the first opportunity he had he bailed.  I used to read the comments on Facebook with him and his ex-Shiloh buds.  They had nothing but hard feelings.  It's not like Canada has bases globally so they can't really dangle the "See the world" carrot for your average recruit.  Navy would be a different story.  It's pretty small, but when I was living in Phuket I remember the Canadian Navy being in port.  There were a lot of Newfoundlanders and they were getting absolutely smashed at the local Irish theme bar, Molly Malone's.  Or, it might have been Scruffy Murphy's.  I was also on a harbour tour in Barcelona a few years ago and a Canadian ship was docked out by the cruise ships.  So, between Shiloh, Manitoba and cruising the world, I'm guessing which branch can affect your experience. 

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2022, 08:20:32 am »
It's not just doing infrantry that is part of being the forces.  Dentists, nurses, nutritionists, finance, Padres....it's a huge mix.

They also let  you serve starting @ 57 if you are able to meet the physical and fitness requirements.  The standards are universal regardless of your trade (you are given time every day to work out on your schedule).   So if you are obese, they will get you into shape and pay you while doing it.

And yes...if you serve 10 years, you will get a pension.  If you serve less than 10, they will return your pension + matching contributions.   I pay about 1.2M/mo for pension for my military pension + 650ish/k for CPP.  It adds up, but there is a long-term goal to this.

https://forces.ca/en/how-to-join/

So whats the starting pay for an officer and for a private?  Housing on base?  Barracks or a private room?  Just curious how it goes.