Read 1559 times

• Rye
  • Veteran

• March 20, 2022, 03:43:11 pm
    • A side street near Cheongju
Re: Korea’s Fastest Inflation Since 2008 Raises Rate Pressure
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2022, 08:50:02 pm »
Get some clippers and cut your own hair. I've been doing that ever since the Delta surge. Saves time and money.

Tried that. Ended up with several holes. Had to go and pay to get it fixed.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2022, 11:59:34 pm »
Its not likely to change. If anything there will be even more north American twenty-somethings rocking up here as their economy enters recession.
Unemployment continues to fall in the US. There's a shortage of workers.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2022, 12:00:26 am »
Tried that. Ended up with several holes. Had to go and pay to get it fixed.
Any new skill takes time to learn.

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2022, 03:19:45 pm »

I actually have to agree with gators here on this one.  There is a problem with inflation due to insane spending and a coming recession and other shortages may change that fast.  But for now this is true.  The Great Resignation has played a role too. 

But companies must train people themselves like they did decades ago.  They could fill those gaps quickly.  Why did they get to pass the buck and make employees pay for their own training in college courses or whatever?  Some things the past had right like this and actually not outsourcing the good paying middle class jobs.  But anyways.....
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 03:21:51 pm by hangook77 »

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2022, 03:20:23 pm »
Any new skill takes time to learn.

I haven't paid for a hair cut in years. 

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2022, 08:44:31 pm »
I actually have to agree with gators here on this one.  There is a problem with inflation due to insane spending and a coming recession and other shortages may change that fast.  But for now this is true.  The Great Resignation has played a role too. 

But companies must train people themselves like they did decades ago.  They could fill those gaps quickly.  Why did they get to pass the buck and make employees pay for their own training in college courses or whatever?  Some things the past had right like this and actually not outsourcing the good paying middle class jobs.  But anyways.....
Exactly. Companies put more and more on their employees. Now Musk wants everyone in the US to work like Chinese factory employees.

A related point is the companies that shed workers during the pandemic, like the airlines, and now can't get back up to speed because they don't have enough workers. Loyalty is a two-way street.

• Sagi Keun
  • Super Waygook

• May 10, 2018, 11:47:23 am
    • Los Angeles
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2022, 09:38:43 pm »

Fair point.

Sure, unemployment is at a 50-year low, although... the US economy contracted by 1.4% from Jan-mar. The signs are that a recession is on the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iKvjDBFr10

Is A Recession Imminent With The US Economy Shrinking?
11,060 views  Apr 29, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJr6uREHWVQ

As the U.S. economy slows down, fears of a possible recession grow
35,276 views  Apr 29, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TfaZHlA0BI

Hannity: We are on the verge of a devastating recession
175,340 views  May 11, 2022
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 09:41:03 pm by Sagi Keun »

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2022, 02:38:13 am »
Fair point.

Sure, unemployment is at a 50-year low, although... the US economy contracted by 1.4% from Jan-mar. The signs are that a recession is on the way.

Maybe a mild recession, maybe not.

Are you shorting the US market? If not...

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2022, 08:14:54 am »

I don't think it's a shortage of workers, it's more, people are starting to not tolerate terrible wages / benefits leaving business to struggle to find people cause of their terrible conditions.
If they offered a decent wage, and decent benefits, they'd likely get a flood of applicants.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2022, 09:05:12 am »
Stocks went up so some are able to retire earlier than expected. Some are scared of Covid, and thus not going back to work due to that fear. But humans need money to live well, so they’ll be back eventually. The crypto crash will send some back into the job market. Some of the workforce shrinking is men’s wages are going up, so the partnered woman no longer needs to work. Generous welfare benefits disincentivize work as well. A woman can divorce a man and get alimony payments forever. The state confiscates a portion of his earnings to give to her. For as long as they both shall live.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2022, 09:21:12 am »
Some invested in NFTs.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2022, 09:56:50 am »
That Luna crash was motherfcuking insane!!!!

I put $10 in as an experiment on Friday morning at about 8am...went down 99% within 3 hours, and a further 99% almost hourly for the rest of the day to the point where 1 Luna was worth something stupid like $0.000000001!!

It was pure amazement for me, but I can only imagine the sheer terror someone who had thousands (or even tens of thousands) of dollars of the coin would have felt watching that very decline.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2022, 10:11:44 am »
Wow, who could have believed that a coin that wasn't created many years ago and is firmly established would crash? Wow, I am shocked.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2022, 02:49:55 pm »
South Korean entrepreneur Do Kwon was a rising star of the global digital asset market when his company Terraform Labs developed the cryptocurrencies UST and Luna with the goal of achieving a decentralized economy four years ago.

His stardom reached its peak as the price of Luna skyrocketed to over $119 early last month, becoming the first Korean-developed cryptocurrency to crack the top 10 list of cryptocurrencies with the highest market capitalization in the world. Some investors and industry insiders even called him the “Korean Elon Musk” in pure admiration of his early success, but also for his outspoken comments that often stirred up debate on Twitter.

http://m.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20220516000715

Billy Markus, co-creator of Dogecoin, denounced Kwon and replied in his tweet that the Korean CEO should “stop trying to bring in new victims” and leave the crypto industry forever.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2022, 08:58:07 pm »
I don't think it's a shortage of workers, it's more, people are starting to not tolerate terrible wages / benefits leaving business to struggle to find people cause of their terrible conditions.
If they offered a decent wage, and decent benefits, they'd likely get a flood of applicants.
You say tomato, I say...

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #55 on: Yesterday at 01:29:59 pm »
When recession was bad in the 1970's and into the early 1980's, the federal reserve chief Paul Vockler raised interest rates to 21% (I think?)  and it broke the back of inflation.  Vockler was appointed by Jimmy Carter and later backed up by Reagan when he was raising rates to an extreme level.  Reagan gave him cover and defended him when it was politically unpopular to do so.  It put the country into a deep recession, the worst up to that time since the Great Depression.  As interest rates started coming down in 1983, the unemployment rate fell and inflation remained much lower (though I concede there were different ways to count inflation in recent years).  Combined with some of Reagans tax cuts working their way through the system and some red tape being reduced, it did allow a new economic boom.  Though the trend of outsourcing since the 1970's was still trickling along.  Some stuff going to Taiwan, South Korea, and Mexico for low cost cheaper goods.  Most manufacturing has been gradually going elsewhere due to the inflationary pressures going off the gold standard.  It picked up a bit more in the 90s with Mexico and NAFTA.  It accelerated in the 2000's decade with China joining the WTO and most jobs moving there.  Though Korea, Taiwan, and originally Japan were doing some of this too, it seemed on a much smaller scale at the time prior to all these trade agreements being signed which should not have been.  Free trade between developed countries, yes.  Poor countries that don't have to pay workers a living wage nor follow any environmental laws (IE dump CO2 into the earth freely while western countries face self imposed restrictions) should not have free trade signed.  A few allied countries, some trade concessions for a season perhaps, but removed once a certain growth level has been achieved.  (My positions on these issues are very Trumpian.) 

A bit of a rant off topic.  But with inflation rising now.  It is not "Putin's price hike" as Biden and team like to say as it was already going up.

Now, the interest rates will have to rise to break inflation and restore some temporary confidence in our fiat currencies or there will have to be a total reset.  If there is, it will be a painful transitions.  If the supply chain is relocated back to North America and resources self sufficient like oil production and food growth then it will be easier to weather the storm if the dollars drop in value and importing is hard.  A hard reset may mean we are more sheltered even if the petro dollar collapses.  (IE Saudi Arabia and other oil producers no longer sell oil in US dollars.) Going back to the gold standard or some other things may become necessary.  Then again a re tightening of the money supply and raising interest rates high to contain inflation may buy the west more time.  If not currency drop and going back to the gold standard. 

Post early 80's recession, printing money first in 2008, then again during covid, and more now too is flooding the market with too much money and too much inflation.  Most of the woke crowd are busy whining about stupid issues as a diversion, but the real issue is a drop in living standards that will punch conservatives and liberals alike hard in the face.  Woke politics won't save you.  People continue to live in ignorance.