Read 4077 times

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Roe V Wade to be overturned. (Rumours)
« Reply #180 on: May 14, 2022, 01:28:03 pm »
Because chickens are not endangered. But you're not really answering my question. A sea turtle embryo has more rights than a human embryo because its endangered, according to you. So my question is why doesn't a hatched baby turtle have more rights than a born human baby, being as how the turtle is endangered and the human isn't.

No, a turtle has no "rights" under law, it has protections, they're not the same thing.

« Reply #181 on: May 14, 2022, 01:31:31 pm »
Ok so if a baby has more protections than a turtle when its born, why shouldn't it have more protections than a turtle when it's an embryo?

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #182 on: May 14, 2022, 01:34:35 pm »
Ok so if a baby has more protections than a turtle when its born, why shouldn't it have more protections than a turtle when it's an embryo?

There is no point in continuing this, as you are unable to distinguish a "right" from a "protection".

« Reply #183 on: May 14, 2022, 01:40:11 pm »
You're giving up too easily, I'm sure they could be explained to me.  I guess it boils down to when a turtle and a human are embryos they have no rights. However the turtle embryo has a 'protection' because it's an endangered species but a human embryo isn't protected because it's not. However when the baby is born it acquires rights, which the turtle doesn't have. Although the turtle continues to have protection. The rights are stronger than the protection after birth.

So you could say a sea turtle embryo is better protected (more valued?) than a human embryo. Fair? It seems a bit rough on the human embryo but I guess they only get their voice after they're born and they get their rights.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 01:55:56 pm by grimlock2 »

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #184 on: May 14, 2022, 01:46:56 pm »
You're giving up too easily, I'm sure they could be explained to me.

Look up "dictionary" in a dictionary.

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #185 on: May 14, 2022, 10:12:12 pm »
What is this pyscobabble bs?  No I did learn.  I had a friend who was married to someone similar to a couple of girls I dated when I first got here.  He was miserable and eventually he sought out divorce.  No love or too close of contact.  Most married guys I know who got married in the golden age and made good cash nowadays struggle financially and it leads to arguing with their wives constantly.  Korea pulled a bait and switch.  Unless you marry a girl from a well off family or someone who has good business sense and works hard, you're life here will be a struggle.  Korea ain't what it use to be.  That ain't synicism.  Also, I haven't personally met some real beauties that I am normally attracted to.  Plus women who now say they want to stay in Korea for life are a no go as I will need to eventually make an exit.  I have had some fine looking women be attracted to me in the past.  So, I am quite picky in that department I will admit. 

You should extend your circles. You tend to project your own incompetent attitude onto others and assume that's the norm. You seem to attract like-minded individuals and then you cry on each other's shoulders over the low pay and inflation. But the reality is, you just read some Facebook posts and later you present them as stories from your ''friends'', and someone you ''know'' or ''met''. Or they could be made up too. I wouldn't be surprised.

I have very different experiences with people I'm close with. Everyone I know is doing well. Some slower, some faster, but all are getting ahead. And they didn't even come here during the "golden age".  Although I'm not so sure when do you think that was.
The thing is, those that struggle here (whether as being married or single), would struggle wherever they are. Lack of decent work ethics, being lazy and terrible with their finances etc. That kind of person is going to have difficulties making money, sticking to a job, saving/investing and in general, getting ahead. In Korea, back home, or anywhere else.
Also, teaching is not for everyone. While it's so easy that anyone with a pulse could do it, some are just not cut out to be teaching. Not only that, but their people skills could be lacking too and so on. Some just aren't meant to be teaching, let alone for decades.
A hagwon I know of, hired a guy last year. They had high hopes as this individual graduated from a brand name University in North America and had like 20 years experience teaching. Well, he didn't last long. The students hated him and parents kept complaining about him. Soon enough, students started to quit. He was let go in a few months.

With that being said, having a family to support is not easy, no matter which country you live in.
''It's a cakewalk to raise kids and support a family''
This is something that you won't be hearing much.

• Rye
  • Veteran

• March 20, 2022, 03:43:11 pm
    • A side street near Cheongju
« Reply #186 on: May 14, 2022, 10:58:09 pm »
Everything you said is so true. Everything you said could not be better said. Everything you said is real...Nothing in life is a stroll in the park, never more so than in Korea, especially in the past.  You have to work hard anywhere to keep your head above water. Living and working in Korea is no different, especially if you are in for the long haul. And yes, it has effing near been the death of me at times raising children, making sure there is more than bread on the table, providing a secure environment for my kids and wife, and planning for more in a society that isn't your own. It takes guts and perseverance to come out on top. There wasn't any unemployed insurance when I came here, no backstops...you worked your ass off, like most immigrants.

Edit: I'll add that it does help if you wife is korean, but you still have to do the hard yards to establish yourself. It matters little if your wife is a native,  yet you have no work ethic or drive to succeed. You'll always come out on the bottom of the heap.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 11:19:35 pm by Rye »

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #187 on: May 15, 2022, 04:54:21 am »
"Whoever is righteous has regard for the life of his beast, but the mercy of the wicked is cruel."

• chimp
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2015, 05:16:31 am
    • Zoo
« Reply #188 on: May 15, 2022, 02:09:24 pm »
Good to see you joining in the banter, hahaha. Really. Life's a larf, have a larf along with us.

We're having a laugh, lolgook77, a bloody good laugh
oo oo ahh ahh

• chimp
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2015, 05:16:31 am
    • Zoo
« Reply #189 on: May 15, 2022, 02:17:37 pm »
But that was nothing like your story if true and not sarcasm. 

Lol give me a fecking a break, "if true". Your stories ooze a weird Walter Mitty-esque vibe alongside the other two parts of the waygook.org "doubtful lol" trifecta, VanLol and confusedlolfer.
oo oo ahh ahh

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #190 on: May 15, 2022, 02:57:58 pm »
We're having a laugh, lolgook77, a bloody good laugh

Lose the cone, Chimp. That's not funny, Chimp. I repeat, NOT FUNNY.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #191 on: May 15, 2022, 07:10:12 pm »
Who let the chimps out?
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #192 on: May 15, 2022, 09:25:23 pm »
Being "pro-life" is not the same as being anti-abortion. The right-wingers on this website are anti-abortion because they associate reproductive rights with lefties and a certain type of mouthy woman. None of these guys are fuming and frothing about fertilized eggs being blocked from the womb lining by IUDs, or wasted embryos in IVF clinics.

Every single one of us knows several women who've had abortions, and several men who've participated in the process. Statistically, anything else is highly implausible, unless you grew up somewhere like rural Ireland or the Middle East and just came to Korea last month. The fact that people don't offer that information in everyday conversation doesn't mean it hasn't happened. The women in question are your friends, girlfriends or wives, your co-workers, sisters, cousins, nieces, etc. The guys are your friends, your brothers, your fathers. If any one of them discussed having had an abortion, what do you think would be the reaction of all these "pro-life" guys?

A) Oh my god! This is exactly the same as throwing a newborn off a roof, or stabbing a one-year-old. My co-worker / cousin / sister ought to be in prison for life! Her boyfriend, the doctors and nurses, and everyone else complicit in the murder should also spend the rest of their lives locked up. I cannot believe I've been hanging out with a child murderer all this time. Wow! She seemed so normal. I know I can't bring the baby back, but I think I'll set up a GoFundMe account to raise money for a memorial service for the 9-week-old fetus.

B) Well, that's not the decision I would have made, but she probably didn't make it lightly and I don't see any reason to give her any more grief.

We know what is more likely. So the question, of course, is why they continue pretending otherwise, with their talk of "dismembering babies" and child murder. But then again, we know the answer to that, too.

Who let the dogs out?

- Mitt Romney

« Reply #193 on: May 16, 2022, 06:25:09 am »
Whatever you think about 'right wingers' and your insights into their thought processes doesn't change any of the facts about abortion, so it's a rather pointless exercise. Unless it's just to provide evidence of your own virtue.

« Reply #194 on: May 16, 2022, 07:55:25 am »
Whatever you think about 'right wingers' and your insights into their thought processes doesn't change any of the facts about abortion

Sure. I never said or thought that it did. The facts about abortion are pretty clear. There is a high demand for it globally, regardless of legal status. In the US, nearly all terminations occur during the first trimester, with nearly half of those being medically (rather than surgically) induced, while still in the embryonic stage (so there are no limbs to "dismember"). Tens of thousands of women die every year from unsafe abortions, primarily in the developing world, where access is limited. Unsafe abortion is a classified as a major cause of maternal death by the WHO. In countries or regions where access is widespread and training and facilities are of high quality, mortality and injury risks decrease dramatically. Furthermore, the fallout of unsafe abortions cost health systems in developing countries hundreds of millions of dollars annually. Finally, limiting the number of unwanted births allows women access to education and the labor market, and life outcomes generally improve for children within smaller families, as parental investments in education and training aren't spread so thinly. When new restrictions are imposed, women's health outcomes decline.

Again, you're right. Those facts have nothing to do with what I think of right-wingers.

Unless it's just to provide evidence of your own virtue.

The irony...

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 07:57:27 am by makebudlightgreatagain »
Who let the dogs out?

- Mitt Romney

« Reply #195 on: May 16, 2022, 08:17:49 am »

Unless it's just to provide evidence of your own virtue.

The irony...   

Yeah right. Who's like to score more virtue points on here. Someone who mentions dismembering babies or someone giving long lists of all the marginalised people and people in the third world evil republicans don't care about but he does? :smiley:

« Reply #196 on: May 16, 2022, 08:50:55 am »
Again, nobody believes that your concern for "dismembered babies" extends beyond its ability to make your political opponents look morally irredeemable. Imagine that the anti-abortion position was generally associated with the left, bundled in with pacifism and opposition to the death penalty, with feminists decrying abortion on the grounds that too many men pressure women to terminate pregnancies.

Absolutely no one thinks that you'd be on here throwing in your lot with that crowd. You'd say that they were arguing from emotion, not logic, and leaving eye roll emojis when mentioning the risk to women from illicit abortion procedures that those idiot lefties will ignore when abortion is outlawed.

Everyone knows this. You know it too.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 08:56:02 am by makebudlightgreatagain »
Who let the dogs out?

- Mitt Romney

« Reply #197 on: May 16, 2022, 10:47:27 am »
Again, nobody believes that your concern for "dismembered babies" extends beyond its ability to make your political opponents look morally irredeemable. Imagine that the anti-abortion position was generally associated with the left, bundled in with pacifism and opposition to the death penalty, with feminists decrying abortion on the grounds that too many men pressure women to terminate pregnancies.

Absolutely no one thinks that you'd be on here throwing in your lot with that crowd. You'd say that they were arguing from emotion, not logic, and leaving eye roll emojis when mentioning the risk to women from illicit abortion procedures that those idiot lefties will ignore when abortion is outlawed.

Everyone knows this. You know it too.

I admit I was trolling when I wrote that comment, as the guy's attitude about some pro-life organisation about which he couldn't reveal the whole story etc. was winding me up a bit. Actually I'm against capital punishment and on the fence about abortion, which isn't a big political issue in the UK like it is in the States. I sometimes post things on here against the left-wing default viewpoint to see what the opposite argument is.  When I get abuse or a tirade about how people who think like that are such and such a person, or you think like that because of these reasons etc. it usually convinces me the opposing argument isn't that strong. IMO the main principles of the abortion argument are pretty simple. Pro-life and pro-choice people generally agree the fetus is a life. They just differ about whether the person supporting that life should have control over its future or not. Pro-choicers believe the mother should have ultimate control. Pro-lifers believe the right to life of the embryo overrides that. All the rest is just window dressing really.

« Reply #198 on: May 16, 2022, 11:26:14 am »
For what it's worth, I think that a legal concept of 'personhood' could be applied at some point during gestation. The most logical point would be the medical consensus around viability, around 23-24 weeks. Prior to that, I'm comfortable with a legal doctrine in which the rights of the mother supersede her fetus until then. I understand that if you sincerely believe that a fertilized egg, within moments of conception, should enjoy the same rights as a fully-fledged human, then my position is not going to be satisfactory. But I think it's a reasonable compromise. Assigning personhood to a zygote, embryo or fetus opens up a whole can of legal worms. Many, many pregnancies aren't carried to full term, for reasons that have nothing to do with abortion. Personhood laws as currently being discussed by some Republicans apply a gaze of criminality on every premature end to a pregnancy. Radically expanding the potential to prosecute women who don't carry to full term does not  bring much in the way of social benefit, in my opinion.
Who let the dogs out?

- Mitt Romney

« Reply #199 on: May 16, 2022, 12:28:27 pm »
I say we need to hear from the Anti-Choice, Pro-Death crowd. The "forced abortion for all, no choice" position. I feel they are sorely underrepresented in this debate and would be interested in hearing their views. Despite my instinctual aversion to their platform, I nonetheless have an open-mind and feel they should have a place within the debate.

Surely there' someone out there with this view? Speak up!