Read 4171 times

Re: Coldplay - Higher Power: 10 locations in Seoul. Which have you been to?
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2022, 06:08:28 pm »
Also, to add something else- Maybe Korean people aren't as bothered by other people liking the same music as them and their music becoming popular and enjoyed by everyone as seems to bother certain kinds of people back home.

"What? The music I like is now popular and random people and places are playing it? Time to start hating it and the people who listen to it!"

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2022, 10:07:28 pm »
I'm sorry that you missed the point. It really has nothing to do with anything you're talking about. No one is mad that some songs are popular, or that businesses use playlists. 
Who let the dogs out?

- Mitt Romney

• 745sticky
  • The Legend

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2022, 07:44:39 am »
Also, to add something else- Maybe Korean people aren't as bothered by other people liking the same music as them and their music becoming popular and enjoyed by everyone as seems to bother certain kinds of people back home.

"What? The music I like is now popular and random people and places are playing it? Time to start hating it and the people who listen to it!"

what are you talking about?

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2022, 08:22:28 am »
He was responding to a post from someone complaining about music they don't like from another country by saying we shouldn't get annoyed about people from other countries liking the music we like. Hope that's clear enough

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2022, 12:35:54 pm »
He was responding to a post from someone complaining about music they don't like from another country by saying we shouldn't get annoyed about people from other countries liking the music we like. Hope that's clear enough
I won't declare defeat until I get meme'd!

• Augustiner
  • Expert Waygook

• December 06, 2021, 01:18:06 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2022, 12:40:36 pm »
I won't declare defeat until I get meme'd!

CO2, where are you?

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2022, 02:58:34 pm »

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2022, 03:26:33 pm »

8/10, but needs to replace Skinner with, well, Mr.DeMartino...

• Augustiner
  • Expert Waygook

• December 06, 2021, 01:18:06 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2022, 03:37:36 pm »

You always come through.  And that bears a remarkable resemblance to DeMartino.  I met him at a PETA rally in Seoul years back. 

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2022, 10:32:04 am »
I'm a 60's child but even I get tired of Q107! I tuned in yesterday and I swear the playlist hasn't changed a bit since I worked at Steve's Music in 1986.

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2022, 10:34:04 am »
I'm a 60's child but even I get tired of Q107! I tuned in yesterday and I swear the playlist hasn't changed a bit since I worked at Steve's Music in 1986.

You just described Classic Rock.

Congrats.

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2022, 11:41:40 am »
Cannot believe that Coldplay and Oasis are so popular here. Britain's two shittiest bands, vying for the crown of Foreign Music Most Favored by Koreans. At least that Sam Smith song has finally died a welcome death after some 5 years of constant airplay in every coffee shop in Korea. Maroon 5 is mercifully on the decline too. Astoundingly, Ed Sheeran's Shape of You can still be heard regularly in shops, restaurants and cafes.

I once got a pretty good explanation as to why Korean public spaces are pounded by the same 10 songs for years on end, but I've forgotten the details. The simple version goes something like this: The pop charts have lost of a lot of their significance in the Anglosphere, but the Melon chart is still very influential in Korea. As a result, lots of shops and restaurants just run a looping playlist of the Melon top 10 (or 20, or whatever), which reinforces the popularity of these songs. This then creates a feedback loop through which certain tracks stay around much longer than they deserve to.

(And my own addition here: The cultural expectation of embracing whatever is popular probably leads to marketers and music directors sticking these tracks on TV shows and adverts, which appear well past a natural expiry date for a song's relevance. That serves as more input into the feedback loop and serves as an artificial lifeline for moribund landfill pop).

Dude, it use to be stuff like this being pounded in every shop day in and day out.  No western music allowed.  (Even worse.)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugwcKnN7nek

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlHv3BbBv6A

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k2Zzkw_-0I

Enjoy your modern pop music....
745sticky, Augustiner, Bakeacake, D.L.Orean, Lazio, Mithras, Renma, Rye are still blocked and I can't see them.

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2022, 11:42:44 am »
Actually Coldplay is one of those bands I have a love hate relationship with.  Clocks is one of my favorite tunes from them.  The new song, I don't mind.  Some others, I'm not crazy about.  I came from a rock background. 
745sticky, Augustiner, Bakeacake, D.L.Orean, Lazio, Mithras, Renma, Rye are still blocked and I can't see them.

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2022, 12:04:52 pm »
Dude, it use to be stuff like this being pounded in every shop day in and day out.  No western music allowed.  (Even worse.)
The unmitigated gall of Koreans to play Korean music in their Korean stores in Korea.

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2022, 12:18:51 pm »
The unmitigated gall of Koreans to play Korean music in their Korean stores in Korea.

Except no other country plays only their own music.  They play theirs with a mix of others.  Nowadays, Korea plays a mix of K pop and western pop. 

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2022, 12:25:17 pm »
Except no other country plays only their own music.  They play theirs with a mix of others.  Nowadays, Korea plays a mix of K pop and western pop.

When did the ban on foreign music end?

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2022, 12:31:03 pm »
When did the ban on foreign music end?

Not sure if there was ant official ban.  But all you heard were the same Korean songs played in every store and shop 50 times a day for months.  Until it burned out and then the next k pop song got played over again and again.  But Korea was going through this very anti foreign sentiment at the time and playing only k pop would play into that at the time.  I think it was a couple of years before this time that Psy was to have said all those racist things about US soldiers and their families.  Also that beach boy remake "F***king USA" song was going around.  It was also during this time that cock blocking was a thing and everyone would try to sabotage your relationship with a K chick if you had one at the time. 

Nowdays, as far as the music goes you hear a mix of western pop and K pop.  But we don't hear BTS Butter 50 times a day blaring from every shop now do we?  We would have had they been around 15 or so years ago. 

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2022, 12:34:56 pm »
(PS  I remember all these songs because they were played everywhere 50 times a day in all stores and shops.  In recent years I won't remember as well because they don't have that level of repetition.) 

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2022, 12:36:19 pm »

Bullshit. English pop music reigns supreme but I'm sure, you know, when you're in GHANA, they play Ghananiannan songs.

Are you that daft? You hear a lot of ARGENTINIAN pop music in Lithuania?