Read 6239 times

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
https://www.newsmax.com/politics/presidential-approval-ratings-inflation/2022/03/27/id/1063072/

What a total senile fool.  Add an inept giggling moron VP who checked all the "diversity" boxes and a supreme court nominee who's too dumb to know what a woman is and you have the perfect clusterf*(k of stupidity in government the likes of which haven't been seen in ages. 

A new Harvard Center for American Political Studies (CAPS)-Harris Poll survey released Friday found that 62 percent of those polled believed Putin would not be moving against Ukraine if Trump had been president.

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/597419-voters-believe-putin-wouldnt-have-invaded-ukraine-under-trump-logic

Plus he screwed up the Afghanistan pullout in the most disastrous of ways.  What a total idiot.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 07:54:44 am by Kyndo »
745sticky, Augustiner, Bakeacake, D.L.Orean, Lazio, Mithras, Renma, Rye are still blocked and I can't see them.

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
40% just like the number that Trump had for his whole presidency.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Well, technically, Mr. Trump's *average* approval rate was 41%. During his term, it bounced around between a minimum of 34% and a maximum of 49%.
https://news.gallup.com/poll/203198/presidential-approval-ratings-donald-trump.aspx

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
Well, technically, Mr. Trump's *average* approval rate was 41%. During his term, it bounced around between a minimum of 34% and a maximum of 49%.
https://news.gallup.com/poll/203198/presidential-approval-ratings-donald-trump.aspx

But the difference was the fake news media was trashing him and slanting negative coverage of him day in and day out while they praise Biden for being on the left and cover for most of his screwups.  Imagine if they gave Biden the same slanted negative coverage as they did to Trump, his approval would be even lower.  Either way, Biden is so terrible that the fake news media can't cover for him anymore.  He screwed up Afghanistan.  Putin saw his weakness and figured he could invade Ukraine. 
745sticky, Augustiner, Bakeacake, D.L.Orean, Lazio, Mithras, Renma, Rye are still blocked and I can't see them.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
I think your comment was meant to be directed at pkjh?

I honestly don't care too much about which American political party gets what kind of rating (approval ratings in 2 party political systems are next to meaningless).
 On the other hand, I *do* enjoy pointing out technicalities, which I did.   :azn:

It also varied quite a bit by pollster. I think YouGov, Quinnipiac and of course Rasmussen gave him higher averages while if I recall, IBD, CNN NBC/Marist and ironically, FOXNews (say what you will about their coverage, their polling is actually well-regarded) typically had him lower. I think his real rating was closer to where he finished in the vote.

In polling, you really have to be careful with approval because most firms use "somewhat approve" and "somewhat disapprove" and those things can certainly vary in strength and may also reflect just the most recent issue they focused on, rather than their overall view. You also have to look at where the disapproval is by party/education/race. For example, Trump's approval in some of those polls as at 90% of Republicans. Well turns out most of them came home. On the other hand, there were real slides in suburban independents and they did not come home.

It might well be the case with Biden.  A lot of his slide is among black voters and independents. I assume that most of those independents will come home if he goes up against Trump/Uncharismatic Republican. Same with black voters. Now with the independents you may see more malleability in state races or if some centrist/charismatic Republican runs. Black voters on the other hand, are going to come home I think unless some really unique Republican wins (and no, not Candace Owens or Brandon Tatum or Herschel Walker or Tim Scott) like Larry Hogan who has a track record or someone else.

The real worry for Biden should be the Latino shift. This happened last election and appears to be growing. Unlike some momentary registry of disapproval that disappeared during election time, this one has the backing of actual results on the ground in certain areas and appears to be solidifying.

Anyways, November is a long ways away and a lot can change.

Also, I think Democrats need to really take a hard look at Joe Biden and not wear rose-tinted glasses when looking at him. He has some very glaring weaknesses and you can't say "But but but Trump" forever.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
I thought gallup was the unofficial best (ie widest net, least biased etc) polling group?
I wonder if there might be some kind of aggregate polling site where they collate all the other polls? I poll of polls, if you will.

If you had to choose only 1, which would you probably select?

I thought gallup was the unofficial best (ie widest net, least biased etc) polling group?
I wonder if there might be some kind of aggregate polling site where they collate all the other polls? I poll of polls, if you will.

If you had to choose only 1, which would you probably select?

Gallup isn't bad, but it is best to use an aggregator. All the polls have "noise" which makes any one of them insufficient to draw conclusions. I personally like Economist/YouGov because it tends to be less "doomerish" for both Trump and Biden and I think gives a better indication where the vote could end up. They also do a good job of being open with their data. 538 and RealClearPolitics are the easiest to use for aggregation.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/biden-approval-rating/
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president-biden-job-approval-7320.html

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
Perfect.

although I notice that when I asked "if you could only choose 1" you gave me two. Contrary to the end, aren't you?  >:(

Perfect.

although I notice that when I asked "if you could only choose 1" you gave me two. Contrary to the end, aren't you?  >:(
Lol.

Sorry I didn't make it clear (but would have loved to play to type)- Economist/YouGov collaborate on polls. NBC does this with Marist. Politico with Morning Consult, etc. so even though you see two names, it's the same poll.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Biden is a great example of better be careful what you wish for. He wanted to be president so badly and now that the sits in the Oval Office he is besieged by major problems. Having one Dem senator in thrall to big pharma and the other the owner of a coal company doesn't help. Nor does an opposition party that wishes it were still the early 20th century.

He's pulling against the current and at times it appears he's going under, but so far he hasn't. That said I don't want to see him running again. He's too old. I agree with Musk about the old age of too many politicians.

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
Should have stuck with Trump.  Then no botched Afghanistan pullout and no Ukrainian invasion. 

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
Should have stuck with Trump.  Then no botched Afghanistan pullout and no Ukrainian invasion. 
Afghan pullout maybe not, but then again maybe. Trump was talking about pulling out of Korea, and Japan.

But Ukraine invasion would've still happened.

LOL@ Leftists and Euros who booed Trump for asking NATO to spend more and for Germany to buy U.S. gas and cheered Angela Merkel with "Yas Queen Slay" and all that. Well, things sure are looking differently now. Do you think people in Europe will learn their lesson? Probably not.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
Erm, the military spending of most NATO countries increased pretty drastically in the years preceding the invasion of Ukraine (and may in fact have been one of the triggers that initiated the invasion). The US isn't even the biggest spender (when calculated as a % of GDP) in NATO anymore. They might have booed Mr.Trump (did they?) but they apparently followed his suggestions regardless.

Economically speaking, giving up Russian gas is also a bit of a pipe-dream (pun). The requisite infrastructure to receive gas by sea as opposed to by pipe just doesn't exist. It would be a long process to transition (a process that has now obviously started out of necessity).
In addition, buying gas from Russia is (was) an important geopolitik gesture on Germany's part. Switching over to American sourced gas would have been a solid blow against Germany's and the EU's already fragile relationship with Russia. Who knows what kind of issues NATO would currently be facing if the current invasion had been initiated in a pre-existing state of hostility and instability?

Erm, the military spending of most NATO countries increased pretty drastically in the years preceding the invasion of Ukraine (and may in fact have been one of the triggers that initiated the invasion). The US isn't even the biggest spender (when calculated as a % of GDP) in NATO anymore. They might have booed Mr.Trump (did they?) but they apparently followed his suggestions regardless.

Economically speaking, giving up Russian gas is also a bit of a pipe-dream (pun). The requisite infrastructure to receive gas by sea as opposed to by pipe just doesn't exist. It would be a long process to transition (a process that has now obviously started out of necessity).
In addition, buying gas from Russia is (was) an important geopolitik gesture on Germany's part. Switching over to American sourced gas would have been a solid blow against Germany's and the EU's already fragile relationship with Russia. Who knows what kind of issues NATO would currently be facing if the current invasion had been initiated in a pre-existing state of hostility and instability?
All of which should have been done earlier and took the prodding of Trump and finally the actions of Putin. Now, is Trump some great visionary? No. He was probably just doing this for boast's sake as much as he thought it was a good idea (buy from me, not them), but the fact is that some people couldn't see that he DID have a point and were more worried about his tone or maintaining a sensibility of the champagne and oysters crowd in Brussels. Merkel tried an angle with Russia, it failed. Sometimes the apparent bozo can be right and the smartest people in the room, well, aren't.

But Germany and much of Europe is in for a treat- Either they pay in rubles (or Putin backs down on this demand and accepts other currency) or they are in for massive economic disruption.

And that's before we get to the refugees, arms spending and rebuilding.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 01:11:02 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
Afghan pullout maybe not, but then again maybe. Trump was talking about pulling out of Korea, and Japan.

But Ukraine invasion would've still happened.
Why would putin invade when his man trump was planning to pull the US out of NATO?

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
LOL@ Leftists and Euros who booed Trump for asking NATO to spend more and for Germany to buy U.S. gas and cheered Angela Merkel with "Yas Queen Slay" and all that. Well, things sure are looking differently now. Do you think people in Europe will learn their lesson? Probably not.
Not many booed trump for asking NATO to spend more. Obama had asked them the exact same thing.

People knocked trump for the way he went about "addressing" such issues. For example, how did his tariffs against China work out?

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
Good opinion on trump vis a vis putin:

"He’s representing Russia. I’m representing the United States,” he added a bit later. “So, in a sense, we’re competitors. Not a question of friend or enemy. He’s not my enemy. And, hopefully, someday, maybe he’ll be a friend.”

This is, in fact, how Trump viewed Putin. Sure, Russia aimed to undermine the stability of the United States, as manifested in part through its efforts on behalf of Trump’s election in 2016. But despite that — or, cynics might wonder, potentially thanks to that — Trump was unwilling to assume the worst about Putin. Putin was America’s enemy, sure, but he wasn’t Trump’s enemy, and that made all the difference in the world.

The generous interpretation of this at the time was that Trump saw opportunity for the country in the personal detente between the two leaders. Perhaps by extending an olive branch to America’s traditional enemy, he might make headway for the country more broadly. This was how Trump often framed it.

But it soon became apparent that a less-generous interpretation was probably more accurate: Trump saw a warmer relationship as one from which he could benefit. When Trump came under fire a year later for trying to leverage his position to get then newly elected Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to announce an investigation of Joe Biden, it became undeniable where Trump drew the line between personal and national benefit.

That was amplified when, at the heart of the impeachment effort that followed his Ukraine interactions, Trump publicly asked China to release any derogatory information it might have on Biden, his expected 2020 opponent. Months prior, his national security adviser John Bolton saw Trump asking Chinese President Xi Jinping to aid his reelection bid by buying more American agricultural products."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/sure-putin-is-ravaging-ukraine-but-think-what-he-can-do-for-trump/ar-AAVFtGj?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=90d19fbbba8c4fe3b9839471300ddee0

• KoreaBoo
  • Expert Waygook

• May 25, 2014, 04:00:42 pm
    • Vancouver Island
Good opinion on trump vis a vis putin:

"He’s representing Russia. I’m representing the United States,” he added a bit later. “So, in a sense, we’re competitors. Not a question of friend or enemy. He’s not my enemy. And, hopefully, someday, maybe he’ll be a friend.”

This is, in fact, how Trump viewed Putin. Sure, Russia aimed to undermine the stability of the United States, as manifested in part through its efforts on behalf of Trump’s election in 2016. But despite that — or, cynics might wonder, potentially thanks to that — Trump was unwilling to assume the worst about Putin. Putin was America’s enemy, sure, but he wasn’t Trump’s enemy, and that made all the difference in the world.

The generous interpretation of this at the time was that Trump saw opportunity for the country in the personal detente between the two leaders. Perhaps by extending an olive branch to America’s traditional enemy, he might make headway for the country more broadly. This was how Trump often framed it.

But it soon became apparent that a less-generous interpretation was probably more accurate: Trump saw a warmer relationship as one from which he could benefit. When Trump came under fire a year later for trying to leverage his position to get then newly elected Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to announce an investigation of Joe Biden, it became undeniable where Trump drew the line between personal and national benefit.

That was amplified when, at the heart of the impeachment effort that followed his Ukraine interactions, Trump publicly asked China to release any derogatory information it might have on Biden, his expected 2020 opponent. Months prior, his national security adviser John Bolton saw Trump asking Chinese President Xi Jinping to aid his reelection bid by buying more American agricultural products."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/sure-putin-is-ravaging-ukraine-but-think-what-he-can-do-for-trump/ar-AAVFtGj?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=90d19fbbba8c4fe3b9839471300ddee0

MSN if fake news.  In fact, NBC, CNN, CBS, ABC & most 'mainstream' news are incredibly biased towards left-leaning candidates and politicians.  They are our equivalent of the People's Daily.