Read 1058 times

• Rye
  • Veteran

• March 20, 2022, 03:43:11 pm
    • A side street near Cheongju
The Stuff People Throw Away
« on: March 22, 2022, 12:30:49 pm »
I'm a bit of a magpie. I can't pass a pile of stuff on the side of the road without pausing for a bit, much to my wife's embarrassment. I just can't help it!

Anyway, I heard a rumble, rumble outside the other day, and here's my wife rolling a largish gas heater into the yard. The next door neighbour's son was throwing it out, so my wife grabbed it. Talk about irony. We had it checked out and it's in fine...in great condition, and one of the more expesive models with a fan. Now I have 2 gas heaters to create mold in the house  :sad:

I grew up in 'the secondhand culture', as did most of you probably,  and I see no problem with it. There has been so much over the years that I've wanted to sneak into the house (and quietly have, at least for the garden), but I rarely get away with it.

What good scores have you found, on the side of the road, or behind an apartment?

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
Re: The Stuff People Throw Away
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 12:37:47 pm »
I found a large globe in the recycling area of my apartments, and took it to school.

• Rye
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 12:45:52 pm »
Hello Mr C. It's me, Kurt, back as Rye. I deleted my account, then regreted my decesion. I missed just chatting. How's the shoulder? I see you got the all clear. Any problems?

Yes, a globe. A good score, and it's something I'm always looking out for. Especially a huge one.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 12:47:49 pm »
I once found an acoustic guitar in the garbage. It was missing a string and the peg that keeps it in the bridge. I bought new strings and a peg and shined 'er up, gave the neck a twist and it played well enough. Great garbage score.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 12:50:25 pm »
I'm a bit of a magpie. I can't pass a pile of stuff on the side of the road without pausing for a bit, much to my wife's embarrassment. I just can't help it!

Anyway, I heard a rumble, rumble outside the other day, and here's my wife rolling a largish gas heater into the yard. The next door neighbour's son was throwing it out, so my wife grabbed it. Talk about irony. We had it checked out and it's in fine...in great condition, and one of the more expesive models with a fan. Now I have 2 gas heaters to create mold in the house  :sad:

I grew up in 'the secondhand culture', as did most of you probably,  and I see no problem with it. There has been so much over the years that I've wanted to sneak into the house (and quietly have, at least for the garden), but I rarely get away with it.

What good scores have you found, on the side of the road, or behind an apartment?

One of the few places where Koreans apparently are fine with this is military family housing. Because they're constantly moving into one family housing apartment after another, second-handing is not the taboo it is with everyone else.

Also, it's amazing what you can find in higher-end neighborhoods and apartment complexes.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 12:54:50 pm »
My father loved to get free stuff from garbage (e.g., freezer, microwave, tools, chair, w.h.y) but I never did.

The closest thing to garbage/flea markets I've ever enjoyed: auctions! I bought furniture, a bike and a car through an auction. I almost bought two kayaks (was a uni student at the time without a car and passed on the great deal).

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 12:58:19 pm »
Hello Mr C. It's me, Kurt, back as Rye. I deleted my account, then regreted my decesion. I missed just chatting. How's the shoulder? I see you got the all clear. Any problems?

Yes, a globe. A good score, and it's something I'm always looking out for. Especially a huge one.

Hey!  Yeah, i saw your acct was gone--but don't you have to start over again now building up your waygook points that you can cash in for Groupon coupons and Uber Eats discounts?

Oh well.  I'm coming along pretty well, pain is way down, I can type two-handed for a couple hours at a time, so I'm just nearing the hump, recovery-wise.  Thanks for asking, hope all is well with you--don't strain yourself installing that heater!

• Rye
  • Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2022, 01:03:25 pm »
Also, it's amazing what you can find in higher-end neighborhoods and apartment complexes.

I bet! Would love to spend a few hours perusing a really rich neighbourhood's junk pile(s).

• Bakeacake
  • Super Waygook

• July 12, 2010, 01:35:40 pm
    • Pohang South Korea
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2022, 01:14:09 pm »
The best I ever found by far was 3 electric guitars and 2 electric bass guitars.  they were all in soft cases. One fender bass was valued at 1200$ and One Jacskon Electric was valued at 900$.   I sold them all over the next month for 800, 500, 400, 200, 200. made $2100 bucks!  also last week I found a full set of surround sound speakers and amp which worked perfectly and are now in my living room. Just needed the wiring, which I had

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2022, 01:16:18 pm »
I have a friend that furnished her entire apartment in Seoul from throwaways around Chuseok. Quality stuff too.  My wife took care of a young Korean girl for a while at her home in an upmarket part of Seoul and scored a couple of LV handbags from the communal dump at the apartment block. They were the real deal too, not fakes.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2022, 01:18:18 pm »
I bet! Would love to spend a few hours perusing a really rich neighbourhood's junk pile(s).

A friend back home lived in a pretty upscale neighborhood (Rochester Hills) and one thing him and his friends would do would cruise around during garbage day and score what they could. Since they were from the area (with driver's licenses and nice cars to match) the locals wouldn't mind and figured they were just loading up to take stuff to their college apartment (which they sort of were...after a year of drugs and fun). Their biggest scoop was a like-new big screen TV, right next to the box for a bigger big screen TV outside a pseudo-mansion. Whereas you or I would try to hand it off or sell it or stick with it, it was just another piece of junk to them. Other finds included an aquarium, exercise equipment, and various appliances.

I would imagine similar stuff happens in Korea.

• Rye
  • Veteran

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2022, 01:19:22 pm »
The best I ever found by far was 3 electric guitars and 2 electric bass guitars.  they were all in soft cases. One fender bass was valued at 1200$ and One Jacskon Electric was valued at 900$.   I sold them all over the next month for 800, 500, 400, 200, 200. made $2100 bucks!  also last week I found a full set of surround sound speakers and amp which worked perfectly and are now in my living room. Just needed the wiring, which I had

Wow  :huh: What a find! Sure beats a gas heater.

Hey!  Yeah, i saw your acct was gone--but don't you have to start over again now building up your waygook points that you can cash in for Groupon coupons and Uber Eats discounts?

Oh well.  I'm coming along pretty well, pain is way down, I can type two-handed for a couple hours at a time, so I'm just nearing the hump, recovery-wise.  Thanks for asking, hope all is well with you--don't strain yourself installing that heater!

Good to hear Mr C.
Ha! Thirty years, and I still can't type two handed  ;D

Edit: Sorry Mr C, I had some students calling for attention. Yes, thanks, I'm not bad. But the quack said I'm nearly bone on bone on my left leg. I'm trying to eck out another year. Geez I hate knee replacements, they sting something terrible  :P
And yeah it sucks having to reinvent myself. I just go so annoyed at a couple of posters, that I quit. Then realized I missed just shooting the ...you know what. Guess I'll forgo the freebees :cry:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 08:27:41 pm by Rye »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2022, 01:33:29 pm »
I have a friend that furnished her entire apartment in Seoul from throwaways around Chuseok.

My friend ate for two weeks doing something similar.

• Rye
  • Veteran

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2022, 02:14:25 pm »
My friend ate for two weeks doing something similar.

Me being a lover of spam, as in fine cuisine spam, would love to find a gift set. I would sneak it into the house and hide it for rainy days  :wink:  ;D
BTW CO2, any urban exploring videos on the horizon?

One more thing. I have a couple of large container gardens. I've scavenged nearly all my containers (at one stage well over 100 large ones). All in great condition, and heaps of different sizes. Saved a small fortune.

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2022, 03:07:40 pm »
I used to work in summer college housing (various conferences would house their participants in the dorms, for periods from a couple days to a month or two). The things that people used to leave behind...from an entire drawers' worth of clothes (understandable) to a large box of tennis balls AND a large painting (they were...not hidden in a closet or anything). Someone left a TV once, but it was broken, of course. TT

The only things that we were allowed to take (and I think we actually...weren't supposed to, but in this case the coordinator made an exception in the face of waste) were food items. One huge group bought too much food, and left it all out on the common room tables. We were college kids living on one free hot meal per day (I truly ate only that meal - as much as I could between lunch and dinner - and a granola bar in the mornings). How could you make us throw out all that perfectly good food?

The bonus was that I stayed on campus during the summer, so I could grab things other students trashed as they were going back home. That's how I got my bookshelves.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2022, 03:20:50 pm »
BTW CO2, any urban exploring videos on the horizon?

There's this short one, but no, I hadn't planned on it. haha

Got any good leads on a derelict neighbourhood?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdgBeR5FIuI&t=2s

• Rye
  • Veteran

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2022, 05:55:06 pm »

There's this short one, but no, I hadn't planned on it. haha

Got any good leads on a derelict neighbourhood?

Cheers for the vid. No, no leads these days. Even up until 6 or 7 years ago where I live, had a lot of similar pathways and lanes between blocks of derelict houses. Some were crumbling down, but still occupied. Gentrification has also happened here.
The spookiest place I explored in Korea, at night of course, was this huge old factory site in Cheongju. Now the Yullyang-dong Home-Plus area. Nothing to see, but got a little jumpy that warm, windy night.  :huh:

• JNM
  • Waygook Lord

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2022, 07:36:44 pm »
My best find, the week after I bought my house in Canada, was a window mount air conditioner left at the side of the road with a “Take me, I work!” sign.

It was on my list of things to get next paycheque.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2022, 11:59:59 am »
My best find, the week after I bought my house in Canada, was a window mount air conditioner left at the side of the road with a “Take me, I work!” sign.

It was on my list of things to get next paycheque.

Curious....a personal question if I may.

I've owned 3 houses in Halifax and 2 in Calgary over the years. When did you buy your house and was it expensive. I really don't know what houses cost there these days.

• JNM
  • Waygook Lord

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2022, 11:52:48 pm »
Curious....a personal question if I may.

I've owned 3 houses in Halifax and 2 in Calgary over the years. When did you buy your house and was it expensive. I really don't know what houses cost there these days.

One on the outskirts of Saint John, NB in 1999 was cheep - sold during my divorce in 2004 for the same I bought it for.  $64000. It was an old “grandma house”. Sold it to a couple who worked at the hardware store.

The other was in St Stephen, NB, purchased in 2008 with Mrs 2.0 for $90k, sold at a loss in 2016 after tenants wrecked it. This was an old 4+ bedroom farm house. Nice old house in a poor town.