Read 1098 times

• gnichols
  • Explorer

• March 10, 2021, 08:38:26 am
    • South Korea
No Games in the Classroom
« on: February 28, 2022, 08:55:17 am »
Hey all,

Just started at an elementary school with EPIK. I've been teaching in Korea for a long time, but, first time at a school with EPIK. On the first day my CT explains that Ss aren't allowed to play games or participate in group activities b/c of Covid. How have you all dealt with this? Classes seems like a no-fun zone with these kinds restrictions in place (imo).

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: No Games in the Classroom
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 09:18:51 am »
Even you can't use overt games, you can still do plenty of them disguised as repetition drills etc.

By giving each row a team name, something as simple as having each student in the row repeat a target sentence can become a (relatively) exciting team-based timed competitions.

Here are some warm-up activities I use that you could pass off as not-a-game that don't required students to physically interact or leave their desks:
 Use timers for teams to make them competitive! I usually have the active team stand, with students sitting when they are done with their contribution.
- Snow ball: give first student a word, they need to make a new one using last letter of your word as the first of their own. 2nd student does the same thing etc.
- Stream of consciousness: show a random ppt photo. First student things of a related word, second student thinks of word related to 1st student's etc. ie apple-->red-->blood-->vampire
- Topics: Student 1 thinks of a topic, each student comes up with an example
- Shopping lists: student 1 says a vocab word. Student 2 repeats it and adds their own, student 3 repeats both and adds their own etc
- etc

• gnichols
  • Explorer

• March 10, 2021, 08:38:26 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 10:18:21 am »
Even you can't use overt games, you can still do plenty of them disguised as repetition drills etc.

By giving each row a team name, something as simple as having each student in the row repeat a target sentence can become a (relatively) exciting team-based timed competitions.

Here are some warm-up activities I use that you could pass off as not-a-game that don't required students to physically interact or leave their desks:
 Use timers for teams to make them competitive! I usually have the active team stand, with students sitting when they are done with their contribution.
- Snow ball: give first student a word, they need to make a new one using last letter of your word as the first of their own. 2nd student does the same thing etc.
- Stream of consciousness: show a random ppt photo. First student things of a related word, second student thinks of word related to 1st student's etc. ie apple-->red-->blood-->vampire
- Topics: Student 1 thinks of a topic, each student comes up with an example
- Shopping lists: student 1 says a vocab word. Student 2 repeats it and adds their own, student 3 repeats both and adds their own etc
- etc

Great advice Kyndo, thank you!

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 07:30:42 am »
You can still do games and activities.  You just have to tweak them and do different ones because of covid.
745sticky, Augustiner, Bakeacake, D.L.Orean, Lazio, Mithras, Renma, Rye are still blocked and I can't see them.

• Kayos
  • The Legend

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 08:21:59 am »
I've been in this situation before, where 1 of my co-teachers wanted no games / fun activities, even before covid.
I just made funny examples in the ppts, or used pop culture stuff with them. Sometimes I used really obscure English stuff, to teach them something new. Most of my students enjoyed it, and always had a laugh at some of the slides.
I can branch out and do a little bit of fun now, though.

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 02:33:36 pm »
Seems you can play games as long as you maintain social distancing etc.

- You can do a last man standing reading/speaking game. Doesn't require to move around, they just stand up and down
-  If your students have access to the internet, online quiz sites are great (Kahoot and Quizizz are the most popular ones right now.)
- Classcard is another great site. It's for Korean schools and has games/quizzes/hunts for different textbooks, so you might not even have to make your own material, just tweak what's already available. Classcard is also great for independent learning.
- Make interactive worksheets where they can do word searches/crosswords etc. on Live Worksheets or Wizer
- Telepathy can also work if you just have ss write their answers on paper.
- Any group bomb game will still work, just have them stay seated and have 1 group answer a question at a time.