Read 6185 times

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Is civil war brewing in the US?
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2022, 09:11:15 pm »
A retired conservative federal judge who helped former Vice President Mike Pence rebuff attacks on the 2020 election is warning that the United States is locked "in a political war to the death" and that "American democracy hangs in the balance."

J. Michael Luttig began his career clerking for Justice Antonin Scalia and former Supreme Court Chief Justice Warren Burger. Luttig briefly served at the Department of Justice before being confirmed to the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals, where he was twice considered for the Supreme Court during the George W. Bush presidency.

Luttig retired from the federal judiciary in 2006, but remained an influential figure in the conservative legal world — and now says he is deeply troubled by the Republican Party's attacks on American democracy.

"This feels like a seminal moment in America when all of what the country has witnessed and endured for these years seems to be building to volcanic crescendo," Luttig told the Los Angles Times columnist Jackie Calmes. "We are in political war to the death — with each other."

« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2022, 10:11:09 am »
I'll take that as a compliment, although I have no interest in working in China, even though my son works in Beijing for Daimler Benz, and I drive a 2022 Volvo XC60 and not a third-hand something or other.
That really shows your mentality. Always some trick or denial NOT to face your mistakes and flaws.

Also, I love how for all his lefty/high-minded proclamations, when push comes to shove, it all comes down to "I drive a semi-luxurious car!"
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 10:16:11 am by Mr.DeMartino »

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2022, 09:18:41 pm »
That really shows your mentality. Always some trick or denial NOT to face your mistakes and flaws.

Also, I love how for all his lefty/high-minded proclamations, when push comes to shove, it all comes down to "I drive a semi-luxurious car!"
What a strange post.

My old car was totaled when someone rear-ended me. It's a very tough time to buy a car in the US. I needed a bigger vehicle for home improvement projects and the like and Volvo was one of the few marques not tacking on $5000 to the sticker price. I paid cash for a loaner mild hybrid model, which gets a bit better gas mileage.

• JNM
  • Waygook Lord

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2022, 10:11:49 pm »
You can’t be a proper lefty unless you only eat what you grow yourself, never buy anything, and live in a natural cave. /s

« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2022, 11:39:41 am »
You can’t be a proper lefty unless you only eat what you grow yourself, never buy anything, and live in a natural cave. /s
You can be a classical liberal and flex your car. You can't be a "Speak Truth to Power" lefty and flex your car.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2022, 11:55:55 am »
I imagine that to some extent, it would depend on the car.
I think a case could be made that one could still "speak truth to power" without being too much of a hypocrite if one showed that they could not function without the use of a car, and then did everything in their power to make their car one that aligns (as closely as possible) with their ideology.

« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2022, 01:00:57 pm »
I imagine that to some extent, it would depend on the car.
I think a case could be made that one could still "speak truth to power" without being too much of a hypocrite if one showed that they could not function without the use of a car, and then did everything in their power to make their car one that aligns (as closely as possible) with their ideology.
*Puts on Star Trek hat- True progress is when both an individual doesn't use a mode of purchased individual transportation as a measure of status.

Now me personally...NGL, I'd love to roll in a Dakota R/T.

But if one wants to claim progressive/lefty social justice, then you can't think that way. Might as well be billionaires comparing yachts.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• I am a geek!!

• March 02, 2027, 11:00:00 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2022, 01:44:11 pm »
Like I said, there needs to be an effort made to ensure that what they have is a somewhat accurate representation of how they believe society should go.
I could forgive a rabid environmentalist owning an efficient EV under certain circumstances, but probably not a coal-rolling f-150 or whatever.

You don't go far enough, comrade: *any* kind of measure of status is just an endorsement of a classist system and all its inherent inequity. >:(

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2022, 05:32:52 am »
What kind of cars do lying conservatives drive?

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2022, 04:05:39 am »
This ain't no party:

"A chapter leader in the far-right Proud Boys extremist gang was charged with assault Sunday in Akron, Ohio, after he was recorded shouting racial epithets at a black woman and then sucker-punching her in the face.

A man police identified as Andrew Walls, 26, was caught on video outside a bar in the early hours of Sunday, stumbling and scuffling with other patrons while spewing a torrent of racial slurs. His victim, 23-year-old Cameron Morgan, was passing by with a friend when she heard Walls and others around him screaming “****** niggers.”

She later told her father that she confronted Walls after realizing she was the only Black person around.

“We were like ... ‘You can’t say that. That’s not OK,’” she told her dad, local teacher and former sportswriter David Lee Morgan Jr., who recorded the conversation and provided a transcript to HuffPost.

Video taken by Cameron Morgan’s friend shows what happened next: Walls squares up, points his finger at Morgan, and repeats the racist slur, adding: “Bitch, shut your mouth.” He then cocks his right fist and punches her directly in the face, the impact of which releases a blood-curdling pop.

Morgan was treated for a concussion.

Walls kept going after the recording ended, and dragged Morgan into the street by her hair, her father said."

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2022, 12:59:17 am »
Want more evidence?

"The Nevada governor and his wife were accosted and chased from a restaurant in Las Vegas on Sunday, as two men, one a rightwing “digital creator”, shouted profanities and threats.

In a statement, Steve Sisolak said the men shouted “racist threats” at his wife, Kathy Sisolak, who is of Chinese heritage.

The Sisolaks planned to meet their daughter at the restaurant. They were not accompanied by security guards.

Cellphone video posted to social media showed a man in a red T-shirt reading “Cannabis and Combat” asking Sisolak for a picture. While posing with his arm around the governor, the man began to insult him.

The man was identified by news outlets as Justin Andersch, a “digital creator” who posts anti-government rightwing conspiracy theories on a blog called Cannabis and Combat. The Las Vegas Sun reported that Andersch took credit for accosting the Sisolaks on a podcast he creates."

« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2022, 10:46:01 am »
Want more evidence?

"The Nevada governor and his wife were accosted and chased from a restaurant in Las Vegas on Sunday, as two men, one a rightwing “digital creator”, shouted profanities and threats.

In a statement, Steve Sisolak said the men shouted “racist threats” at his wife, Kathy Sisolak, who is of Chinese heritage.

The Sisolaks planned to meet their daughter at the restaurant. They were not accompanied by security guards.

Cellphone video posted to social media showed a man in a red T-shirt reading “Cannabis and Combat” asking Sisolak for a picture. While posing with his arm around the governor, the man began to insult him.

The man was identified by news outlets as Justin Andersch, a “digital creator” who posts anti-government rightwing conspiracy theories on a blog called Cannabis and Combat. The Las Vegas Sun reported that Andersch took credit for accosting the Sisolaks on a podcast he creates."
Sigh. We saw this before with Mitch McConnell. We also had Maxine Waters telling people ""Let's make sure we show up wherever we have to show up. And if you see anybody from that Cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd. And you push back on them. And you tell them they're not welcome anymore, anywhere."

Regardless, the fact is some person shouting at a politician in a restaurant does not make Civil War inbound.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2022, 11:42:27 am »
Exactly. In a country as large as the US, a few are bound to act out. Extreme statistical anomalies. They get arrested and go to jail. Life goes on.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2022, 10:02:28 pm »
Exactly. In a country as large as the US, a few are bound to act out. Extreme statistical anomalies. They get arrested and go to jail. Life goes on.
I dig your ostrich impersonation. Watch out for the zookeeper.

« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2022, 08:23:13 am »
I dig your ostrich impersonation. Watch out for the zookeeper.
You know what wasn't a sign of civil war? Mass protests outside the Pentagon and some guy setting himself on fire.

You know what is? Some congressman getting harassed in a restaurant.

gogators! "logic".

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2022, 10:35:06 am »
More for the everything is great crowd to digest:

The Arizona Senate voted Tuesday to censure Republican Wendy Rogers, whose embrace of white nationalism and calls for violence drew bipartisan condemnation.

Rogers is in her first term in elected office but has built a national profile among the far right with inflammatory rhetoric and vociferous support for former President Donald Trump's false claims that the 2020 election was stolen from him.

Rogers has long faced fierce opposition from Democrats and a handful of Republicans for offensive comments on social media.

Pressure mounted within the GOP this week after she said over the weekend that her political opponents should face a “newly built set of gallows.” She spoke in a video played at the America First Political Action Conference, a white nationalist gathering.

“We do support First Amendment freedom of speech," said Republican Senate President Karen Fann, who voted to censure. “We absolutely support it. We fight battles over it. But what we do not condone is members threatening each other. To ruin each other. To incite violence. To call us communists. We don’t do that to each other.”

The censure, a formal condemnation that carries no practical consequences, was approved in a 24-3 vote, with all Democrats and most Republicans in support.

Rogers stood as Senate Majority Leader Rick Gray read the censure aloud. When it was her turn to speak, she portrayed the censure as an attack on her constituents and her supporters.

“You're really censuring them,” Rogers said. “I do not apologize. I will not back down. And I'm sorely disappointed in the leadership of this body for colluding with the Democrats to attempt to destroy my reputation.”

Hours earlier, Rogers said on Twitter that Tuesday "is the day where we find out if the Communists in the GOP throw the sweet grandma under the bus for being white.”

She sat and listened, often smiling, while her colleagues condemned her.

Rogers has trumpeted her ties to right wing militias, and her prolific posting on social media has included messages and imagery with antisemitic tropes. Most recently, she has also tweeted critically about Ukraine and its president, Volodymyr Zelenskyy, as they fight back against a Russian invasion.

Rogers said Zelenskyy, who is Jewish, "is a globalist puppet for Soros and the Clintons,” referring to the Jewish billionaire donor George Soros.

Rogers has parlayed her national profile into fundraising prowess, raising unprecedented amounts of money for a state legislative race.

Before she built her own national donor network, Rogers was elected with support from the state's top Republican officials and donors, who poured money into her 2020 race to secure the GOP's one-seat majority in the Senate.

Republican Gov. Doug Ducey, whose political action committee spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to help Rogers eke out a win, said last week “she’s still better than her opponent.”

“What I need as a governor are governing majorities,” Ducey told reporters. He walked back his support after the censure, saying in a statement that “antisemitic and hateful language has no place in Arizona," though Rogers had a history of offensive comments long before Ducey's supportive comments.

« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2022, 10:46:08 am »

More for the everything is great crowd to digest:

David Duke won election to office in Louisiana, then got 38% of the vote in Louisiana race for Governor. Civil War did not follow.

You want a REAL worry of civil war? Try having 4 million students on strike, ROTC buildings being burned and smashed, continuous mass protests, all while having a draft for a war that was deeply unpopular with many. Oh and things like riots outside the DNC, the aforementioned self-immolation outside the Pentagon, race riots that make the George Floyd protests look like a joke, multiple assassinations of prominent figures and it getting so bad a sitting President chooses not to run for re-election.

"But so and so got shouted at in a restaurant and some random person gave a speech at an event dubbed 'white nationalist' by an organization that hands out that designation on a whim, THAT is on the verge of civil war"- An idiot.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2022, 07:37:49 pm »
David Duke won election to office in Louisiana, then got 38% of the vote in Louisiana race for Governor. Civil War did not follow.

You want a REAL worry of civil war? Try having 4 million students on strike, ROTC buildings being burned and smashed, continuous mass protests, all while having a draft for a war that was deeply unpopular with many. Oh and things like riots outside the DNC, the aforementioned self-immolation outside the Pentagon, race riots that make the George Floyd protests look like a joke, multiple assassinations of prominent figures and it getting so bad a sitting President chooses not to run for re-election.

"But so and so got shouted at in a restaurant and some random person gave a speech at an event dubbed 'white nationalist' by an organization that hands out that designation on a whim, THAT is on the verge of civil war"- An idiot.
Who posted "on the verge"? Must have been some idiot.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2022, 10:20:50 pm »
Who posted "on the verge"? Must have been some idiot.

DeStrawmantino, you mean?

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• Seoul
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2022, 08:17:22 pm »
Just another factoid on the mood in America:

A Riverside County mother is speaking out after video emerged of her daughter's preschool teacher leading students in a chant against President Biden.

"What do we want to do with him?" the teacher can be heard asking the students, who are 4- and 5-year-olds, in the video.

"We want him out!" the students yelled.

Christina McFadden's daughter was among the students captured in the video, which was taken in February at Turning Point Christian School in Norco.

School officials did not respond to requests for comment.

Reached Tuesday, McFadden said the teacher posted the video on a communication app used by the school. When she saw it, she said, her first reaction was fear.

"Fear that this was sent to 14 families with differing views. Fear that it appeared to be a political propaganda video and that it would spread as such with my daughter front and center," she said.

It appears that conservatives refuse to accept Biden's legitimacy in the strongly held belief that the Democratic party itself is illegitimate because it supports a pluralistic America rather than a white, paternalistic "Christian" America.