Read 196296 times

• acousticr
  • Expert Waygook

• January 24, 2013, 11:42:50 am
    • Gyeonggi
    more
Re: Questions and Answers for American Taxes
« Reply #360 on: February 10, 2014, 03:13:04 pm »
If you're using the 2555 or 2555EZ, you have to use the 1040. The 1040EZ doesn't have the lines for the Foreign Income exclusion. You probably can use the 2555EZ, that's what I've always used. As long as you're not claiming self-employment wages, moving expenses, or a housing exclusion, use the 2555EZ.

It's okay, taxes are confusing.
$10 off your first order at iHerb.com with this code: BPC852

• gchan19
  • Adventurer

• March 04, 2013, 08:28:10 am
    • Paju
« Reply #361 on: February 11, 2014, 09:49:20 am »
I know someone said that there was a glitch in turbotax for foreign income, so just wondering if that glitch still exists? Can I file electronically anywhere? Oh and also since we don't have a w-2, how should we report our income?

• tausha12
  • Veteran

• May 03, 2012, 07:24:08 am
    • Dongducheon, South Korea
« Reply #362 on: February 12, 2014, 02:11:10 pm »
Does the 8802 form really cost $85.00?

I've never tried to do the tax exemption thing here so I am a little confused.

• leonardlee
  • Adventurer

• June 10, 2013, 09:43:03 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #363 on: February 14, 2014, 03:14:32 pm »
Hey guys,

I am currently filling out my 8802 and ran across a question.

Line 5: Was the applicant required to file a U.S. tax form for the tax period(s) on which the certification was based?

What do I fill out for this? In 2013, I was freelancing so I am not sure if I check the Yes, or No box.

• janelle_j
  • Veteran

• March 04, 2013, 12:40:21 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #364 on: February 18, 2014, 01:20:09 pm »
Holy moly this thread is massively confusing! Why not split it into 3 threads:
1: Residency Certificate
2: Paying American taxes (1040 and 2555)
3: Paying Korean Taxes

It would make it so much easier to sort through the info I don't need! So here are my questions for other EPIK teachers:

Do we need to include the entrance allowance and settlement bonus we received upon arrival as part of our income? Does this count as moving expenses? What are the pros vs cons of claiming this exclusion as a moving expense? From what I understand it won't do any good unless we make over $95,000. Is this correct?

I use the housing my school provided, do I need to include the rent they pay on my behalf as income?

I can't seem to find clear answers anywhere! Thanks guys!

• cephas
  • Adventurer

• October 14, 2013, 08:46:26 am
    • Korea
« Reply #365 on: February 25, 2014, 12:19:21 pm »
Who's eligible for Korean tax exemption?

Is the foreign income tax exclusion automatic? Do I still have to file my tax return with the IRS every year in Korea?,

The exclusion is not automatic as you must submit form 2555 along with form 1004 (NOT 1004A or 1004EZ).  You can request your school to give you a document showing your yearly earnings around tax time (late Jan.) as the IRS may require proof of foreign income.   Say/write to your school's administration office:

This should be changed. The post should read "1040" and "NOT 1040A or 1040EZ."

To avoid confusion, thank you : )

• JCMccullough
  • Adventurer

• March 02, 2011, 10:34:06 am
    • Jeju City, South Korea
« Reply #366 on: February 26, 2014, 12:08:11 pm »
I skimmed through several pages of the thread but didn't run across what I was looking for (maybe I'm just blind).

It's a possibility I might have to break my contract and leave early, so I won't be making the 330 day minimum if I do that. If I do leave it'll be around the 7-8th month point.

Anyone know what kind of US taxes I'll be faced with for not hitting the 330+ day mark?

• naturegirl321
  • Expert Waygook

• June 13, 2011, 01:34:50 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #367 on: March 02, 2014, 07:47:22 am »
If you dont meet the 330days minimum req you may be able to still do the 2555 due to bona fide res. And you can definitely do the foreign tax credit.
The best TEFL jobs in Korea on TEFL Tips.
Tender Embrace Birthing: childbirth classes, doulas, breastfeeding support, and info about giving birth in Korea

• naturegirl321
  • Expert Waygook

• June 13, 2011, 01:34:50 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #368 on: March 02, 2014, 07:53:22 am »
I am currently filling out my 8802 and ran across a question.
Line 5: Was the applicant required to file a U.S. tax form for the tax period(s) on which the certification was based?
What do I fill out for this? In 2013, I was freelancing so I am not sure if I check the Yes, or No box.

Yes most likely. Check the IRS site though since they publosh a min of how much you have to make in.order to file.

Did you file for 2013?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 07:57:55 am by naturegirl321 »
The best TEFL jobs in Korea on TEFL Tips.
Tender Embrace Birthing: childbirth classes, doulas, breastfeeding support, and info about giving birth in Korea

« Reply #369 on: March 02, 2014, 01:29:14 pm »
Must always file taxes.

« Reply #370 on: March 19, 2014, 05:58:57 pm »
I f***ing hate trying to figure out taxes.

Maybe this has been addressed somewhere in this long, confusing thread, but I can't find the answers even when I try the search function.

Can I still file form 2555 and use the physical presence test IF I left Korea in September of 2013? I wasn't in Korea for 330 days of 2013, so I don't know if that means I will owe taxes to the U.S. government. I WAS in Korea for at least 330 days if include the start of my contract, which began in September 2012. Does that qualify me for the physical presence test?

My other questions is, if I can still use the physical presence test, how do I fill out Part III of form 2555, where it asks you to list the dates you were in the U.S. in 2013? Do I just say I was in the U.S. from September to the end of the year? Because that would make it seem like I can't use the physical presence test, since it clearly shows I wasn't there for 330 days of 2013. I really don't get it.

Help, please!

• Chicagohotdog
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 04, 2012, 12:25:31 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
    more
« Reply #371 on: March 20, 2014, 07:33:15 am »

Maybe this has been addressed somewhere in this long, confusing thread, but I can't find the answers even when I try the search function.

Can I still file form 2555 and use the physical presence test IF I left Korea in September of 2013? I wasn't in Korea for 330 days of 2013, so I don't know if that means I will owe taxes to the U.S. government. I WAS in Korea for at least 330 days if include the start of my contract, which began in September 2012. Does that qualify me for the physical presence test?

My other questions is, if I can still use the physical presence test, how do I fill out Part III of form 2555, where it asks you to list the dates you were in the U.S. in 2013? Do I just say I was in the U.S. from September to the end of the year? Because that would make it seem like I can't use the physical presence test, since it clearly shows I wasn't there for 330 days of 2013. I really don't get it.

Help, please!

If it's the same as last year the physical presence test is a year long period starting or ending in the tax year in question.  Meaning that you could use September 2012-September 2013 as your years for physical presence.
Discount of up to $10 off of first order on iHerb.com ---> CHK096

$10 off of a Tour booked through Viator.com (You get $10 off and I'll get $10 off - that could be an airport ride): https://www.viator.com/raf/PDPOTBSYI

http://travelhacking.org/sammery-wants-you

« Reply #372 on: March 20, 2014, 10:36:25 am »

Help, please!

If it's the same as last year the physical presence test is a year long period starting or ending in the tax year in question.  Meaning that you could use September 2012-September 2013 as your years for physical presence.

Cool, thanks! What, then, did you put for Part III when you have to write the specific dates you were in the U.S.? Would I just put that I was there the last 4 months of 2013 and assume that they will believe me that I was in Korea for 330 days even though those days were not all in 2013?

Thanks in advance!

• Chicagohotdog
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 04, 2012, 12:25:31 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
    more
« Reply #373 on: March 20, 2014, 10:47:50 am »

Help, please!

Cool, thanks! What, then, did you put for Part III when you have to write the specific dates you were in the U.S.? Would I just put that I was there the last 4 months of 2013 and assume that they will believe me that I was in Korea for 330 days even though those days were not all in 2013?

Thanks in advance!

You have to list the year that you are claiming, not necessarily the tax year.  So for you would would be listing where you were and for how long from the period starting in 2012 - 2013.  Do not include anything past the end time in 2013. 

You're not saying that you were in Korea for 330 days in 2013.  You are saying that you were in Korea for 330 day over the period of time from September 2012-September 2013.  As long as the year period is starting or ending in the tax year that you are filing for.
Discount of up to $10 off of first order on iHerb.com ---> CHK096

$10 off of a Tour booked through Viator.com (You get $10 off and I'll get $10 off - that could be an airport ride): https://www.viator.com/raf/PDPOTBSYI

http://travelhacking.org/sammery-wants-you

• KirbyOwnz
  • Veteran

• March 01, 2013, 11:17:05 am
    • Geoje Island
« Reply #374 on: March 20, 2014, 10:55:56 am »
Kind of a dumb question but I'll ask anyway.   Should I file form 2555 if I've technically been in Korea for under 330 days?  I arrived mid February for EPIK, so for the 2013 tax year I'm under. 

Another dumb question  - should I write my address, employer etc in English?  I would assume I should..

« Reply #375 on: April 01, 2014, 07:48:06 am »
I understand we are exempt from US income tax if we file correctly.

My accountant in the states is saying that I owe 15% of my income for social security tax.
Also I must be filed self employed since my employer is not removing it for me.

Is this correct?
Is everyone here doing the same too?
Thanks.

« Reply #376 on: April 07, 2014, 01:51:16 pm »
Taxes are so confusing!

TLDR: American, GEPIK teacher, in Korea less than two years.

A) How much should be taken out from my paycheck each month for things like pension and health insurance? Is ~175,000 about right?

B) Assuming all the forms got filled out correctly (8802, 6166, 5222, & 1040) I should owe next to nothing in BOTH countries, correct?

Long version:

Okay, I'm a tax dummy :-[ (yes, my parents still do them for me. I'll grow up eventually, I promise!) Anyway. When I first got here I applied for my residency certificate and got everything submitted to my school. I thought everything was hunky dorey. My salary was 2.0m and I was getting 1.8ish in my bank account every month. I assumed the deductions were for health insurance, pension, and school lunch. Does that sound right to everyone? Or was there something else coming out of my paycheck? I did not get pay stubs at the time and have asked my old co-teacher for them but am not very hopeful that I will ever get them....

My parents back home in the States are trying to submit my American taxes and they think I owe the IRS $2,000!! I just don't think that's correct. After reading through this thread a bit it looks like what I'm missing is this Form 2555 thing. Submitting my 1040 with the 2555 should significantly lower what I owe in the States, right? (I did work a minimum wage job for two months of 2013).

Thanks for reading, I was kind of freaking out. I mean, $2,000?!? On what I make?? After reading this thread I feel better but still want to get some advice on the situation. Basically I want to make sure I haven't inadvertently been paying Korean taxes and that I understand the basics of what's needed to complete my exemptions.

Your help is much appreciated!!

« Reply #377 on: April 07, 2014, 03:18:41 pm »
Taxes are so confusing!

TLDR: American, GEPIK teacher, in Korea less than two years.

A) How much should be taken out from my paycheck each month for things like pension and health insurance? Is ~175,000 about right?

B) Assuming all the forms got filled out correctly (8802, 6166, 5222, & 1040) I should owe next to nothing in BOTH countries, correct?

A.) Roughly 18% give or take a percent.

B.)Yes but no.  You are responsible for the taxes on your job that you had at home.  As far as your job here, it is not that you are "tax free".  The tax agreement is to keep you from being double taxed. It just works in our favor because your first x amount of dollars of pay  (google "site:wagook.org American taxes" for that thread)  is exempt from American taxes and  the agreement exempts us from Korean taxes for two years it really is "tax free"  Now, here's the rub.  If you have not filed the correct paperwork AND you claimed the money that you made here AND you haven't told the american government you are overseas they tax it at the full rate.  If those three things didn't happen, like that, then someone made a mistake.  But, as you said, assuming all is done correctly and you don't have other income in the States like inheritance, investment, blah blah blah blah, your liability should be low and just for that job.

Unless your job in the U.S. for two months was ballerific to get taxed like that.  Then I would wonder why you are here, play-yah!
You are never guaranteed happiness, only the right to pursue it.  So, what are you waiting for?  Get going!

• KirbyOwnz
  • Veteran

• March 01, 2013, 11:17:05 am
    • Geoje Island
« Reply #378 on: April 07, 2014, 03:39:28 pm »
teach2learn:  do the form 2555.  if you claim you made something like $20,000 here without doing the 2555 you'll literally owe thousands.

« Reply #379 on: April 08, 2014, 02:10:52 pm »
Thank you for the answers guys!!

I'm working on the 2555 now and am beyond confused. Am I claiming the housing exclusion or housing deduction? I don't understand what that is really... Do I get to write off my heating and gas? Or do I skip section VI and go to VII??

I'm looking at the IRS provided instructions but they're very confusing as well, is there somewhere I can look at an example or something? Lol, I'm so out of my depth here.

Thanks!