Read 196059 times

Re: Questions and Answers for American Taxes
« Reply #340 on: May 21, 2013, 09:36:06 am »
There is a free service to foreigners who need questions about the law, and they might know taxes.  I'm sure if you do a search you would be able to find it on this site, or someone more knowledgeable could give you the link or better advice. 

« Reply #341 on: May 24, 2013, 09:14:05 am »
I applied for my residency certification January 17th and I still haven't received any confirmation or anything in the mail.  Should I message them and ask how long it will be?

• defpunk
  • Adventurer

• March 28, 2013, 09:21:51 am
« Reply #342 on: May 24, 2013, 11:02:48 am »
I applied for my residency certification January 17th and I still haven't received any confirmation or anything in the mail.  Should I message them and ask how long it will be?

Yes call them, there is generally very little wait time.  I had many problems with mine, and it took forever to get it.  Best time to call is right when they open at 8:30am east coast time.  I believe it will be 9:30pm KST

« Reply #343 on: May 24, 2013, 11:41:33 am »
do you happen to have the number? if not no biggy. id prefer to have a direct number if you have on handy.

• defpunk
  • Adventurer

• March 28, 2013, 09:21:51 am
« Reply #344 on: May 24, 2013, 12:18:47 pm »
do you happen to have the number? if not no biggy. id prefer to have a direct number if you have on handy.

It's (267) 941-1000.  Just listen for residency certificate and select that option! 
good luck!

« Reply #345 on: June 21, 2013, 12:03:31 pm »
I'm trying to  file the 2555 and it says I'm not exempted from Taxes but can get a credit.  I am basically trying to get my residency certification.

I plan on printing it out and sending it anyway in addition to my completed 8802.

I will have my 1040 attached to the 2555.

I need to get an extension for my taxes (for both 2011 and 2012) with form.

Is there anything specific I should be looking out for with my 1040?  I'm trying to turbo tax it and it's looking a little difficult...

• Chicagohotdog
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 04, 2012, 12:25:31 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
    more
« Reply #346 on: June 21, 2013, 12:09:12 pm »
I'm trying to  file the 2555 and it says I'm not exempted from Taxes but can get a credit.  I am basically trying to get my residency certification.

I plan on printing it out and sending it anyway in addition to my completed 8802.

I will have my 1040 attached to the 2555.

I need to get an extension for my taxes (for both 2011 and 2012) with form.

Is there anything specific I should be looking out for with my 1040?  I'm trying to turbo tax it and it's looking a little difficult...

turbo tax has a glitch with foreign exemption.

I just did mine all by hand and I just got the refund in my account last week so I guess I did it right.  Just follow the instructions they aren't as confusing as they look at first.
Discount of up to $10 off of first order on iHerb.com ---> CHK096

$10 off of a Tour booked through Viator.com (You get $10 off and I'll get $10 off - that could be an airport ride): https://www.viator.com/raf/PDPOTBSYI

http://travelhacking.org/sammery-wants-you

« Reply #347 on: June 24, 2013, 08:24:12 am »
did you just send it in via snail mail?  im thinking of scanning it and having my mother fax it to them.

how long did it take?  i have til september 15th

• Chicagohotdog
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
    more
« Reply #348 on: June 24, 2013, 08:36:53 am »
did you just send it in via snail mail?  im thinking of scanning it and having my mother fax it to them.

how long did it take?  i have til september 15th

Yeah I snail-mailed it because you need to sign it and I don't think they would accept a photocopied signature.

I sent it in March and the refund (I worked in the States for one month last year) was just deposited into my account 2 weeks ago.  The important thing is the day it is postmarked by the post office.  So if you have an extension through September 15th, as long as it is in the mail before then you are in the clear.

$10 off of a Tour booked through Viator.com (You get $10 off and I'll get $10 off - that could be an airport ride): https://www.viator.com/raf/PDPOTBSYI

« Reply #349 on: October 14, 2013, 10:59:47 am »
This may have been answered already, but I don't have time to go through all the previous pages.
I didn't file taxes for the 2012 year because I didn't make sufficient income for it to be required (so my dad told me...) but I'm reading that you have to have filed taxes no matter what in order to get the 6166? Is this right? I have no clue what I'm supposed to do!

• leonardlee
  • Adventurer

• June 10, 2013, 09:43:03 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #350 on: January 21, 2014, 10:55:11 am »
Hey guys, I had a few questions regarding the whole tax process as a U.S citizen.

1.) I downloaded the .pdf file that "seligamon22" provided in her his/her first post, but the .pdf is 12 pages of instructions on filling out the 8802. Where can I find the latest 8802 form online?

2.) https://www.pay.gov/paygov/forms/formInstance.html?agencyFormId=12164322.
     $85 for the form? I guess the price has increased a considerable amount since 2010?

3.) On page one of the .pdf file, there are two fax numbers listed under the "Submission of Form 8802 after Electronic Payment." Which of the two numbers should I send my 8802 to?

Thanks waygook, first time filing for tax exemption!

« Reply #351 on: January 21, 2014, 01:27:15 pm »
Hey guys, I had a few questions regarding the whole tax process as a U.S citizen.

1.) I downloaded the .pdf file that "seligamon22" provided in her his/her first post, but the .pdf is 12 pages of instructions on filling out the 8802. Where can I find the latest 8802 form online?

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8802.pdf <---form

2.) https://www.pay.gov/paygov/forms/formInstance.html?agencyFormId=12164322.
     $85 for the form? I guess the price has increased a considerable amount since 2010?

The price is $85.  You can pay online or send in a money order. I have no idea why it went up so much.  Why let certain people make tons of money and cut their taxes when you can raise for rates for those rich Americans working abroad?  Especially teachers?

3.) On page one of the .pdf file, there are two fax numbers listed under the "Submission of Form 8802 after Electronic Payment." Which of the two numbers should I send my 8802 to?

You can use either.  From the IRS page you are referring.  Emphasis mine:

Fax. You can fax up to 10 Forms 8802
(including all required attachments) for a
maximum of 50 pages to the fax
numbers
below. A fax cover sheet
stating the number of pages included in
the transmission must be used.
The following fax numbers are not
toll-free:
(267) 941-1035
(267) 941-1366

Thanks waygook, first time filing for tax exemption!

Your welcome. 
You are never guaranteed happiness, only the right to pursue it.  So, what are you waiting for?  Get going!

• dailj2
  • Adventurer

• October 10, 2012, 11:27:18 pm
« Reply #352 on: January 22, 2014, 01:19:03 pm »
I've been in Korea for almost a year. If I leave Korea for good after my contract ends, can I still take advantage of the tax exemption? Also, I need to submit the forms. I've looked and looked on waygook but can someone post a simple list of what I need to do for tax exemption in Korea?

Can you also post a list of what I need to do so I can be tax exempt in the U.S.? I've never done taxes before so I'm a bit worried. My school doesn't know what to do, we've got a new guy.

Also, I went to City Hall and got a document that says Certificate of Alien Registration.

Korea Tax Exemption
1. Form A
2. Form B
3. etc

Thanks for any info.

• acousticr
  • Expert Waygook

• January 24, 2013, 11:42:50 am
    • Gyeonggi
    more
« Reply #353 on: January 22, 2014, 01:26:56 pm »
As long as you haven't been here for more than two years, you qualify for the exemption from Korean taxes.

For US Foreign Income Tax exclusion, you'll file a Foreign Income Tax exclusion form - something like 2555 - with your 1040 for each tax year you've earned money in Korea. (I'm assuming 2013 and 2014 for you).
$10 off your first order at iHerb.com with this code: BPC852

• MBDU
  • Newgookin

• December 19, 2012, 05:32:35 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #354 on: February 03, 2014, 02:38:16 pm »
According to this comment (granted, from a few years ago), it sounds like there are basically two sets of documents.

Exemption from American Taxes
  • Form 1040/1040EZ (Personal Income Tax)
  • Form 2555/2555EZ (Foreign Earned Income Exclusion)
Exemption from Korean Taxes (For up to two years.)
  • Form 8802 (Application for Residency Certificate)
  • Form 6166 (Residency Certificate)
The first set you submit to the IRS every year. The second you get from the IRS and give to the Korean Tax Office.

My question is this: do you have to get a new 6166 (residency certificate) every year, or is one enough for the two year Korean tax exemption. (If I have a residency certificate for 2013, do I have to request a new one to be exempt for 2014?)

Who's eligible for Korean tax exemption?

To be exempt from paying Korean taxes, you need to employed by the government (e.g., public school teachers). Thus, private-sector workers (e.g., hagwon teachers) must still pay Korean taxes. However,  private-sector employees CAN still be exempt from paying AMERICAN taxes (more details further down).

Remember the Korean tax exemption isn't forever--it lasts TWO YEARS.

How to apply for Korean tax exemption?

In order to be exempt from paying Korean taxes (for two years), you need to give your school the 6166 form.  However, you must first fill out the 8802 form in order to get the 6166. Please be aware that the 8802 is NOT the residency certificate, it is the application for the residency certificate (6166).

Here are the steps.

1. I had to purchase the number of 6166 copies I wanted to have PRIOR to sending the 8802 to the IRS.

Here is the link for payment https://www.pay.gov/paygov/forms/formInstance.html?agencyFormId=12164322.

You'll have to go on to the website, purchase the copies, and you'll receive a confirmation number. You can get up to 20 copies for $35. I'd say to shoot for at least 5-6 just in case your school needs extras. If you want to be really safe order all 20!

2. Fill out the 8802. I've attached it and the instructions below. Make sure to put that confirmation # on the 8802 form before sending it (I promise this will make more sense once you get down to paying for and filling out the forms). If you are having the form mailed to someone besides yourself (which is probably the case since many of you are already here in Korea),  you'll have to name an appointee.

3. After filling out the 8802 form, you can fax or mail it to the IRS. Make sure that you mail the form to the correct place. If you pay for the 6166 via the link that I've given above, then you'll have to send it to one address. If you pay by check, the address is different. Just so you know, I faxed mine and it was kind of a huge deal because they have two different fax numbers, so I had to send it twice. My point is, call if you are unsure! 

4. After the IRS gets your 8802, they'll send a letter telling you that they've received it and are processing your 6166. They will send it to a US address only, so send it to a family or friend. The letter will say that they'll respond to you within 30 days, but that's a lie. I had to call a few times. It took THREE MONTHS to get my 6166 and that was only after calling.  It'll take time, but it should work out.

How long does it take to get 6166?

The IRS claims they will contact you within 30 days after processing form 8802, but that doesn't generally happen. It would be prudent to call the IRS to remind them; people typically wait three to five months, sometimes LONGER.  Constantly remind the IRS about it.

But what if I've already started paying Korean taxes, will I get my money back once my school gets 6166?

Yes. If not, contact the tax office directly.  Please be aware that the refund won't  get handed back to you in cash--it will most likely come in the form of a tax credit at the end of the financial year.

Do I have to pay US taxes?

Unlikely. If your contract is one year, you become a "bona fide resident" of Korea the day your contract commences and hence qualify for the exclusion. However, there is one exception to this rule: if you make more than $92,900 USD (2011 figure), but since EFL teachers in Korea typically don't make that much, you probably don't have to worry. Also, if your contract is less than a year (e.g., six months), then you don't qualify for avoiding US taxes. However, you can still apply for Korean tax exemption.

Is the foreign income tax exclusion automatic? Do I still have to file my tax return with the IRS every year in Korea?,

The exclusion is not automatic as you must submit form 2555 along with form 1004 (NOT 1004A or 1004EZ).  You can request your school to give you a document showing your yearly earnings around tax time (late Jan.) as the IRS may require proof of foreign income.   Say/write to your school's administration office:

"원어민교사 급여지급내역"

This means "Foreign teacher's salary payments".

If your school refuses to give it to you, showing your bankbook (or a printout of your deposits via online banking) should suffice.  You should convert your salary to USD for each month; one member used the Bank of CANADA's web site (yes, Canada) because it conveniently lists montly historical exchange rates. The IRS will likely take your word for it as they're aware the overwhelming majority of EFL teachers don't make  close to the foreign income exclusion threshold.

Submitting 2555  with 1040 obviously means you're filing your tax return. But, you don't have to do it every year; you can file three years later . For example, a 2011 return can be filed in 2014 without applying for an extension.

Form 2555 or 2555-EZ?

If you're exempt from paying Korean taxes, you must submit the 2555, NOT 2555EZ.

So, what's the diff between form 1040, 2555, 8802, and 6166?

Form 8802 is the application to get 6166, the latter is what you need to submit to your school to avoid KOREAN taxes. So, 8802/6166 is so you avoid paying KOREAN TAXES.

Form 1004 is the income tax return filing document.

Form 2555 (which you must submit when you file your US tax return using form 1004) is so you don't have to pay AMERICAN taxes.

• leonardlee
  • Adventurer

• June 10, 2013, 09:43:03 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #355 on: February 03, 2014, 03:27:13 pm »
Hey guys,

I had a couple questions while filling out the 8802. I've looked through the past pages, but I am still confused.

Back in Los Angeles, I worked as a freelance violinist and am not sure if I have ever filed taxes back home. My family has an accountant, so this is my first time filling any tax form out.

1) What is the applicant's U.S taxpayer I.D number? Is this my social security number?

2) For Question 5, "Was the applicant required to file a U.S tax form for the tax period(s) on which the certification will be based?" Would the answer be no because I am working in Korea? If so, do I check the "Other" box?

Thanks for the help thus far waygook! I'm sure other first-timers would appreciate the answers as well :).

• Chicagohotdog
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
    more
« Reply #356 on: February 04, 2014, 08:33:12 am »
MBDU - you don't need a new residency certificate. Them having the old one on file is all you need.

leonardee - Yes, your taxpayer ID is you social security number.   

This is a few years dated but: http://mysocalledklife.wordpress.com/2012/01/18/the-agony-of-irs-forms-form-8802/

• gchan19
  • Adventurer

• March 04, 2013, 08:28:10 am
    • Paju
« Reply #357 on: February 10, 2014, 02:43:46 pm »
The dread of filing taxtes  :cry:

So I am trying to file the 1040 and it comes to the part where it ask for my mailing address and telephone number... I currently live in Korea, but I am going to leave in 2 weeks back to the USA. Should I write my Korean address for the filing, or should I write my American home address?

Thanks!

• acousticr
  • Expert Waygook

• January 24, 2013, 11:42:50 am
    • Gyeonggi
    more
« Reply #358 on: February 10, 2014, 02:46:37 pm »

So I am trying to file the 1040 and it comes to the part where it ask for my mailing address and telephone number... I currently live in Korea, but I am going to leave in 2 weeks back to the USA. Should I write my Korean address for the filing, or should I write my American home address?

Thanks!

Use your American address.
$10 off your first order at iHerb.com with this code: BPC852

• gchan19
  • Adventurer

• March 04, 2013, 08:28:10 am
    • Paju
« Reply #359 on: February 10, 2014, 03:05:21 pm »

Thanks!

Use your American address.
I did that and now somehow it shows that I owe the state $8. And am I suppose to file for 2555 or 2555EZ ? How about the 1040? or 1040EZ?

Sorry, this is my first time, it is just too hard for me.