Read 599 times

Do you need to get your degree apostilled?
« on: June 09, 2018, 09:12:59 am »
If you got your college degree in Korea and not overseas, do you still need to get it apostilled?
What exactly does it mean by apostilled?

• Ariadne
  • Adventurer

• January 23, 2017, 06:24:54 pm
    • Gyeongbuk-do
Re: Do you need to get your degree apostilled?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 11:22:43 am »
I think you would still need to.

The purpose of the apostille is to verify that it's a legitimate document and not a fake.

However, I'm not sure if this would mean that you should get it apostilled in Korea or your native country, but I'm guessing your native country if that's where you are currently based.

• m.corless
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
    • Toronto, ON, Canada
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 09:49:41 pm »
Need more info to help you better

- What kind of visa will you be working under?
- What kind of school?
- What does the employer say they want?

A degree from Korea isn't an E2 visa document so it wouldn't need to be apostilled. If you're an F-visa holder you need what the employer says they want. If you're being asked for an apostilled copy of your degree from a Korean university, it would be apostilled by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Seoul. Typically apostilling is for proving authenticity outside the country, so it probably isn't what you're looking for if you are starting work in Korea, but this is the info for the Ministry: https://www.hcch.net/en/states/authorities/details3/?aid=706

• solveit
  • Super Waygook

• December 09, 2014, 03:52:02 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 09:51:51 pm »
An apostille makes a document a recognised legal document within all the countries who are part of the apostille agreement. The apostille must be issued by the country where the document was originally issued.

No idea if you need to get a Korean degree apostilled if your intention is to use it in Korea - it wouldn't make sense as usually an apostille is required when a document is from a different country.

What visa do you intend to apply for?