Read 590 times

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Korean work ethic.
« on: January 10, 2022, 08:18:44 am »
Korean work ethic even in 2022. 

https://www.quora.com/What-are-South-Korean-work-ethics/answer/Joseph-K-Kim?ch=10&oid=109118024&share=97970ab1&srid=puPr8&target_type=answer

"No one wants to take responsibility."  Well, that one is so familiar.

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: Korean work ethic.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 07:41:18 am »
""""     
Age Restrictions.
- I was project lead that involved my company and our subsidiaries. Despite I was a project lead and outranked other people, I could not fully disclose my thoughts and intentions in meetings because people older than me were “uncomfortable.”
- I had to figure out ways to deal with those older men separately, persuading them to work in a certain direction, as if I am not giving them an order, rather, he and I came up with an agreement for the project. I had to save their faces. I had to repeat the process every time when we have a project meeting.
- When asking for a raise and promotion, number one reason why company was hesitant was the age, not the skills and abilities.
Dodging Responsibility.
Good god, I had, and still have, tremendous difficulty with the issue. No one ever wants to take responsibility with the task. Out of frustration, I once proposed to assign names to the task, which I never thought to stir up anything, but I was warned for being “too hostile.”
However, “vulturing” is a normal thing in work places. When certain project is approved by higher up or its success is guaranteed, someone outranks you will blatantly demand you to share the credit.
Female Role.
I am someone whom thinks today’s feminism is a joke. However, I am a firm believer on equal opportunity, and I can say with confidence that Korean work places are sexist as hell. I was shocked to witness my coworker casually suggesting in a meeting that we hire “female employee” for handling coffee machines, smile for visitors, etc. It was exactly his words, and there were female coworkers in that meeting as well. I also witnessed older guys nudging young female employees to sit by the boss in company get-togethers. Bosses casually commented on young female workers on their looks, clothings, make-ups, etc.
I thought these were history before working in Korea, but they still exist.
So-Called Cigarette Breaks.
I am also guilty of this habit, and I do also take cigarette breaks, but I was criticized at every single job I took in Korea for going cigarette breaks alone. I did so because whenever I go out for a smoke, my coworkers will take forever to finish chitchats, and if not chatting, they will play games on their phones together, which will take up at least 20~30 minutes or more. Trust me, every office has a game, which i don't even think people enjoy that much, but play them to be in the “circle.”   """""