Read 2794 times

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
New COVID vaccine that could be a game changer.
« on: January 07, 2022, 01:41:05 pm »
I only summarized parts of the article below.  (You can read the whole article.)  If this is a safer more traditional vaccine rather than the untested and experimental ones out there now, this could be a game changer.  Others may take this one if it can be proven safe over some time. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2022/01/05/1070046189/a-texas-team-comes-up-with-a-covid-vaccine-that-could-be-a-global-game-changer

A vaccine authorized in December for use in India may help solve one of the most vexing problems in global public health: How to supply lower-income countries with a COVID-19 vaccine that is safe, effective and affordable.

The vaccine is called CORBEVAX. It uses old but proven vaccine technology and can be manufactured far more easily than most, if not all, of the COVID-19 vaccines in use today.

"CORBEVAX is a game changer," says Dr. Keith Martin, executive director of the Consortium of Universities for Global Health in Washington, D.C. "It's going to enable countries around the world, particularly low-income countries, to be able to produce these vaccines and distribute them in a way that's going to affordable, effective and safe."

"It's the same technology as the hepatitis B vaccine that's been around for decades," Hotez says.

Hotez says that unlike the mRNA vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna, and the viral vector vaccine from Johnson & Johnson, protein subunit vaccines like CORBEVAX have a track record. So he and Bottazzi were relatively certain CORBEVAX would be safe and effective.

"And it's cheap, a dollar, dollar fifty a dose," Hotez says. "You're not going to get less expensive than that."

Clinical trials showed they were right to be confident CORBEVAX would work. An unpublished study conducted in India involving 3,000 volunteers found the vaccine to be 90% effective in preventing disease cause by the original COVID-19 virus strain and 80% against the delta variant. It's still being tested against omicron.
745sticky, Augustiner, Bakeacake, D.L.Orean, Lazio, Mithras, Renma, Rye are still blocked and I can't see them.

Re: New COVID vaccine that could be a game changer.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 07:58:34 am »
Oh yeah like you people wouldn't automatically come up with a new BS excuse to not take this vaccine.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 11:07:33 am »
Dang. THAT is what I'd hoped for. A proven, traditional vaccine not a modern engineered new tech spike protein targetted solution with no precedent and rushed few months of data.

For most of us, the development of new booster shots (instead of more of the first two), or pills, is where the focus is at.

I would like to not take another vaccine injection and rely on treatment pills once i contract the virus. Ideally though, social distancing and masks will keep the virus at bay. Imagine if everyone followed the protocols. The pandemic would end.
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 12:46:57 pm »
Imagine if everyone followed the protocols. The pandemic would end.

Would it? The virus has spread to animals and is mutating there. Takeaway: be healthy as humans. Also, don’t treat animals in a way that makes them unhealthy, for example, packed together crowded in a mink farm. Healthy immune systems stop the virus quickly. Unhealthy immune systems allow the virus to mutate.

• Adel
  • The Legend

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 01:32:43 pm »
Would it? The virus has spread to animals and is mutating there. Takeaway: be healthy as humans. Also, don’t treat animals in a way that makes them unhealthy, for example, packed together crowded in a mink farm. Healthy immune systems stop the virus quickly. Unhealthy immune systems allow the virus to mutate.

Well maybe but there's a bit of evidence and theorising that Omicron mutated in mice rather than an immunocompromised patient. That said, these social distancing protocols are less effective with Omicron once it made the leap into the human population. 

https://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/view/-you-dirty-rat-experts-posit-that-omicron-hatched-in-rodents

• JNM
  • Waygook Lord

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 03:43:01 pm »
Isn’t Sinovax a “traditional vaccine?”

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 12:47:43 am »
Covid is basically a new flu strain. It’s not going anywhere and will adapt and mutate in humans and animals and keep reappearing.

The vaccines will not stop Covid as it will mutate in other mammals and come back resistant to the vaccine.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2022, 02:30:47 am »
^^ If true, then the wise decision would be to build immunity by improving nutrition and health. Blueberries and hikes.
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• Adel
  • The Legend

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2022, 05:42:46 am »
Well, I guess you could wait it out for CORBEVAX and hope that you don't get to experience a naïve Covid  infection in the meantime.  I guess you've just got to hope you don't fall by the way side like a lot of the Native American population of 1600s, who had more traditional experiences with a pandemic. 

• JNM
  • Waygook Lord

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2022, 01:28:27 pm »
Covid is basically a new flu strain.

It is not, on any level, a flu strain.

That is like saying a bear is pretty much a new kind of wolf.

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 08:27:10 am »
Well, I guess you could wait it out for CORBEVAX and hope that you don't get to experience a naïve Covid  infection in the meantime.  I guess you've just got to hope you don't fall by the way side like a lot of the Native American population of 1600s, who had more traditional experiences with a pandemic. 

Haven't had a problem in the 2 and a half years this virus has been around, yet.
745sticky, Augustiner, Bakeacake, D.L.Orean, Lazio, Mithras, Renma, Rye are still blocked and I can't see them.

• Adel
  • The Legend

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2022, 09:12:20 am »
Haven't had a problem in the 2 and a half years this virus has been around, yet.

Well touch wood then. Omicron is much more infectious than the previous mutations. I guess you're lucky to be in Korea where they are keeping it at bay, to a reasonable degree. They've decided to let in rip in the eastern states of Australia.  PCR tests results are coming back positive at a rate of about 25%, with about 100 000 known positive cases a day. In fact, infection rates are almost irrelevant now, the focus is on hospitalisation numbers, ICU beds, and ventilators occupied. Thankfully there has been a significant decoupling from previous outbreaks but with infections this high, the health care system is under serious strain.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 09:25:56 am by Adel »

• hangook77
  • Waygook Lord

• Near Busan
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2022, 10:09:26 am »
Well touch wood then. Omicron is much more infectious than the previous mutations. I guess you're lucky to be in Korea where they are keeping it at bay, to a reasonable degree. They've decided to let in rip in the eastern states of Australia.  PCR tests results are coming back positive at a rate of about 25%, with about 100 000 known positive cases a day. In fact, infection rates are almost irrelevant now, the focus is on hospitalisation numbers, ICU beds, and ventilators occupied. Thankfully there has been a significant decoupling from previous outbreaks but with infections this high, the health care system is under serious strain.

Actually, my cousin just messaged me this morning she said she had it and caught it from a "vaccinated" person.  It was very mild like a mild flu and got over it in about 10 or so days.  No ventilator, gone to the hospital or anything like that.  Stayed home, got rest, etc.  Symptoms were quite mild for her as it was for a "vaccinated" person.  You want to friek out and hyperventilate over it, be my guest, but leave me out of it and don't force it on me. 

• Adel
  • The Legend

• The Abyss
    more
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2022, 12:08:27 pm »
Actually, my cousin just messaged me this morning she said she had it and caught it from a "vaccinated" person.  It was very mild like a mild flu and got over it in about 10 or so days.  No ventilator, gone to the hospital or anything like that.  Stayed home, got rest, etc.  Symptoms were quite mild for her as it was for a "vaccinated" person.  You want to friek out and hyperventilate over it, be my guest, but leave me out of it and don't force it on me. 

Well fair enough, but if that's the case why would a fit healthy young stud like yourself bother with CORBEVAX though? I'm assuming your cousin was a 20 something gym junkie like yourself who didn't need vaccinating. 

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2022, 07:39:20 pm »
It is not, on any level, a flu strain.

That is like saying a bear is pretty much a new kind of wolf.
But but but they both have fur, fangs and claws!

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2022, 10:41:24 pm »
Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

"If the United States had the same COVID death rate as Australia, about 900,000 lives would have been saved.

For many Americans, imagining what might have been will be painful. But especially now, at the milestone of 1 million deaths in the United States, the nations that did a better job of keeping people alive show what Americans could have done differently and what might still need to change.

Australia offers perhaps the sharpest comparisons with the American experience. Both countries are English-speaking democracies with similar demographic profiles. In Australia and in the United States, the median age is 38. Roughly 86% of Australians live in urban areas, compared with 83% of Americans.

Yet Australia’s COVID death rate sits at one-tenth of America’s, putting the nation of 25 million people (with around 7,500 deaths) near the top of global rankings in the protection of life."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/australia-saved-thousands-lives-while-120039853.html

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2022, 08:08:49 am »
Yet Australia’s COVID death rate sits at one-tenth of America’s, putting the nation of 25 million people (with around 7,500 deaths) near the top of global rankings in the protection of life."

If that puts Australia near the top then what about Taiwan? Similar population but only 1,097 deaths, yet the world bows to the CCP and won't let Taiwan be part of the WHO or WHA. Absolutely frikken pathetic.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2022, 08:51:01 am »

If that puts Australia near the top then what about Taiwan? Similar population but only 1,097 deaths, yet the world bows to the CCP and won't let Taiwan be part of the WHO or WHA. Absolutely frikken pathetic.

Good point! But don't forget the Taiwanese government's autocratic past.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2022, 10:11:23 am »
Good point! But don't forget the Taiwanese government's autocratic past.

That was a long time ago and and that shouldn't be a factor for keeping them out of those two organisations. There are plenty of countries who are in those organisations that have a worse history, so what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2022, 11:44:57 am »
Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

"If the United States had the same COVID death rate as Australia, about 900,000 lives would have been saved.

For many Americans, imagining what might have been will be painful. But especially now, at the milestone of 1 million deaths in the United States, the nations that did a better job of keeping people alive show what Americans could have done differently and what might still need to change.

Australia offers perhaps the sharpest comparisons with the American experience. Both countries are English-speaking democracies with similar demographic profiles. In Australia and in the United States, the median age is 38. Roughly 86% of Australians live in urban areas, compared with 83% of Americans.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/australia-saved-thousands-lives-while-120039853.html
Notice how none of these articles compare France, Germany or Belgium to Australia?

That's how you can tell it's just rubbish and is only trying to make a political point. But it tricks gullible dimwits, so it hence why it exists.