Read 1007 times

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Vaccine passport backlash
« on: January 04, 2022, 02:22:22 pm »
https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/opinion/2022/01/202_320122.html

A government decision to enforce COVID-19 vaccine passports for teenage students is drawing a strong backlash. However, the Moon Jae-in administration shows no sign of backpedaling on the decision, which is raising concerns about the potential emergence of an anti-vax movement in South Korea.

The vaccine pass plan is part of the government's efforts to raise the inoculation rate among teens in the face of the resurgent coronavirus. It will require students aged 12 to 18 to present a certificate of vaccination against COVID-19 or a negative test result to be allowed into crowed facilities such as cram schools, libraries, internet cafes and restaurants starting Feb. 1. This measure seems to be a necessary step to fight the pandemic, especially when the new Omicron variant is spreading rapidly here.

But, some students and their parents are strongly against the plan, accusing the government of trying to make it "mandatory" to get vaccine shots. They are also worried that vaccine passports, if enforced, may cause discrimination against those unvaccinated and infringe on their learning rights.

In fact, many teenagers are reluctant to get vaccinated due to fears about side-effects. The government has so far allowed parents to decide whether their children get vaccinated, while recommending those with underlying conditions such as diabetes to get inoculated. But its abrupt change in vaccine policy is inviting the anger of students and their parents.

A high school student is staging an online petition against vaccination on the website of the presidential office. He has drawn endorsement from more than 300,000 people since Nov. 26. The office should respond to the petition as it has garnered support from more than 200,000 people. He raised doubts about the effectiveness of vaccines because there are many reported cases of breakthrough infections. He also argued that the vaccine pass plan could lead to a violation of people's basic right to reject inoculation.

Posted : 2021-12-07 17:10
Updated : 2021-12-07 19:05

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

• February 25, 2020, 09:34:41 am
Re: Vaccine passport backlash
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 02:28:11 pm »
That's almost a month old. They've only extended restrictions further since then.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2022/01/119_321549.html

"A one-week grace period will be applied until Jan. 16, after which violators will be fined.

Unlike cafes and eateries where unvaccinated people are allowed to sit if they are alone, an unvaccinated individual will not be able to enter department stores or large retail stores, even if he or she goes alone. "
"in real life I have a Mensa level IQ. Thatís the opposite of mentally retarded. People have told me Iím the smartest person theyíve ever met. Has anyone said that to you? Probably not."

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 02:30:53 pm »
That's almost a month old. They've only extended restrictions further since then.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2022/01/119_321549.html

"A one-week grace period will be applied until Jan. 16, after which violators will be fined.

Unlike cafes and eateries where unvaccinated people are allowed to sit if they are alone, an unvaccinated individual will not be able to enter department stores or large retail stores, even if he or she goes alone. "

Yeah, you're right.  I was just showing how angry people were a month ago.  The government going to new extremes now will surely provoke even more anger.  What they have done now or are trying to do is absolutely without precedent. 

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 02:39:00 pm »
Yeah, you're right.  I was just showing how angry people were a month ago.  The government going to new extremes now will surely provoke even more anger.  What they have done now or are trying to do is absolutely without precedent.

Obviously not angry enough for the government to take notice.
"in real life I have a Mensa level IQ. Thatís the opposite of mentally retarded. People have told me Iím the smartest person theyíve ever met. Has anyone said that to you? Probably not."

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 03:08:18 pm »
I read somewhere that it won't be enforced until March (delay one month).

That would be convenient given the election is on Tuesday of the first week of that month.

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 03:10:32 pm »
I read somewhere that it won't be enforced until March (delay one month).

That would be convenient given the election is on Tuesday of the first week of that month.

It doesn't come into effect for teenagers until March. Under 18s are being given extra time because they were not eligible for the vaccine until later.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 03:58:35 pm »
It doesn't come into effect for teenagers until March. Under 18s are being given extra time because they were not eligible for the vaccine until later.
Ah. Yeah. That's why I noted it. My hagwon has teenagers. No worry about losing students until then. (We lost 40% in the spring of 2020 after we had to shut down for two months and re-opened over a month into the new school year.

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 04:15:07 pm »
We're fast approaching the point where if these rates of infection and death continue and the measures continue to produce middling results at best, that the political capital for such things will be exhausted and they will have to relax, which might turn out great or it might not.

Already on twitter you're seeing Center-Leftists such as Matthew Yglesias, Ezra Klein and Nate Silver start to mutter about the sustainability of such measures, the public's tolerance for them, and the actual benefit vs. cost of them according to the data. If they're testing the waters on this, so to are the politicians and the corporate donors.

The thing is, we think living without fear of endemic disease is natural, but it really isn't. The period of 1945-2020 was an anomaly in human history. It was also an anomaly in terms of calorie consumption~body weight and longevity. In a sense we're returning/being driven to the norm.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 05:21:13 pm »
Gym class sixty years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGa6BPj3Mcw

Everyone is in good shape.

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2022, 07:58:41 pm »
Gym class sixty years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGa6BPj3Mcw

Everyone is in good shape.
Are you sure that wasn't the wrestling team? That's a common exercise for wrestlers.

No I didn't watch the video.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2022, 09:02:51 pm »
It was PE. This video shows more:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fISgKl8dB3M

• Lazio
  • Expert Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2022, 10:57:21 pm »

The government has been firm on the issue but the Seoul Administrative Court crossed them it seems.

''Vaccine pass enforcement at cram schools, study rooms suspended''

https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=321687

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2022, 01:17:07 am »
It was PE. This video shows more:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fISgKl8dB3M
OK. I looked at it and this was a special program at one high school, rather than an average HS PE program. 

With your interest in physical fitness, why didn't you become a PE teacher or coach?

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2022, 07:38:12 am »
The government has been firm on the issue but the Seoul Administrative Court crossed them it seems.

''Vaccine pass enforcement at cram schools, study rooms suspended''

https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=321687

From the article "forced vaccination on minors". I wonder if those same parents complained about all the vaccinations their children received post-birth.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2022, 08:05:44 am »
From the article "forced vaccination on minors". I wonder if those same parents complained about all the vaccinations their children received post-birth.

Not the same thing and you know it.  Also the children were not forced.  Most parents agreed due to those vaccines going through the proper testing and research.  Those vaccines were not rushed and didn't need boosters every six months. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2022, 08:07:10 am »

Or they are just arrogant enough to ignore as they ignore people and do what they want to do.  I saw the same pattern of behavior with what they did to crypto currency last year.  Same arrogant "we do what we want to do and you over there shut up" mentality. 

• JNM
  • Waygook Lord

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2022, 08:14:00 am »
Most parents agreed due to those vaccines going through the proper testing and research.  Those vaccines were not rushed and didn't need boosters every six months. 

1) They agreed because their public health office had a recommended schedule and their doctors considered it to be part of routine healthcare. Most people didnít know anything about vaccine approval procedures. (Öand still donít!)

2) Most of them did need boosters, often on a timescale of months, but sometimes years.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2022, 08:26:17 am »
1) They agreed because their public health office had a recommended schedule and their doctors considered it to be part of routine healthcare. Most people didnít know anything about vaccine approval procedures. (Öand still donít!)

2) Most of them did need boosters, often on a timescale of months, but sometimes years.

A booster after 10 or 20 years is different from needing one every six months.  And if most people jump off a cliff, you will too.  If some choose to wallow in ignorance being uninformed there's nothing that can be done about that.  AS for medical professionals, most are feared into silence.  Those that do speak up or push back get heavy sanctions put on them.  Either way, the other vaccines have gone through proper testing and trials and most people either know or expect that even if they don't know the details and equation of every trial.  No previous vaccine was approved in less than a year.  No previous vaccine approved had so many people still getting the illness in spite of a vaccine against it.  No previous vaccine needed a booster every six months.  Use you head and think for yourself.  Don't let CNN do you thinking for you.  Use common sense instead of ideology.  (I had no problem taking lots of other properly tested vaccines, so I am definitely not an anti vaxxer.  I just didn't abandon my common sense and blindly follow like a lemming.)

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2022, 08:28:50 am »
And if most people jump off a cliff, you will too.

Of course I would, gotta keep up with the trends.

Also, I'd be lonely.

• D.L.Orean
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2022, 09:26:42 am »
If some choose to wallow in ignorance being uninformed there's nothing that can be done about that. 

Indeed